Self generating patches....tips and ideas ?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

ikonisk
Learning to Wiggle

Saturday ambient patch

Post by ikonisk » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:33 am

Here is a patch using mainly Disting mk4 (set to dual euclidian), Rene and Wogglebug: Ikonisk - Ambient #1
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygfuf ... kMGgFnby8Q
Twitter: @ikonisk_real
Facebook: facebook.com/ikonisk
Bandcamp: ikonisk.bandcamp.com
Available on Spotify and Apple Music

gis_sweden
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gis_sweden » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:37 am

ziovinos wrote:This is my first Self Generative patch...
I’m impressed. Nice old-school sound. You really managed to create a Krell without the most important ingredient. Or am I missing something here…? A classic Krell makes use of a cycling envelope where attack and decay are constantly modulated. But as I understand it you don’t have such a module???

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:19 am

A little late to the Marbles fan club. Thought I had its functionality covered so didn't pay much attention on release.

I was wrong.

[video][/video]

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:43 am

Marbles agnostic myself, so I'm curious...

I can see its benefit in a small (and still cute) system such as this, but what's missing in a larger system that Marbles can bring to the table (assuming this larger system has all the basic functions covered)? It's always struck me as taking the fun out of searching for methods and systems of building your own patch engine.

(And sweet tune, BTW.)
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Skiff, Waveform Laboratory, Funboat

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:15 am

Well, you've really answered your own question.

I don't need Marbles in my main case - I can do everything it does and more in there. But the modules that takes up accounts for the best part of 180hp (with the matching price tag). Basically I've got a full row in there dedicated to creating generative CVs of various types.

Marbles needs 1/10th of the space (and a fraction of the price tag).

It's also a fantastic bit of design. It packs an incredible amount into a relatively small space. There's a lot of thought and experience been put into the design that makes itself very clear once you start digging in a bit. And, although I'm deliberately not doing that here, its very performance orientated.

Like I said, I was agnostic too. It was only the past month when I was doing some work for someone that involved me making demo patches in VCV that I started to use it there - basically as a quick and easy way to get some notes and gates to drive the demos.

I very quickly realised it was a lot deeper than I'd thought (guess there might be a reason why the Div Kid review video is > 1 hour) and that it was worth reworking the little system to incorporate one.

Which is also another good example of how open sourcing things continues to drive sales for Mutable Instruments. :tu:

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:27 am

Thanks for that. I always had the lingering fear that I might be missing something. If/when I get to thinking about a breakout rack I'll give it another look. :guinness:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

ziovinos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ziovinos » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:42 pm

gis_sweden wrote:
ziovinos wrote:This is my first Self Generative patch...
I’m impressed. Nice old-school sound. You really managed to create a Krell without the most important ingredient. Or am I missing something here…? A classic Krell makes use of a cycling envelope where attack and decay are constantly modulated. But as I understand it you don’t have such a module???
Thanks gis_sweden! That's right I don’t have such a module. I slightly modulated Lifeform's LPF with a very slow, asynchronous LFO, to achieve the "cycling envelope" effect:

[video][/video]

https://soundcloud.com/panos-volkov[/quote]

gis_sweden
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gis_sweden » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:47 pm

A simple way to generative music :hihi: Simple patch with Nonlinearcircuits Jerkoff as generative engine.
Controlling VCAs (no ADSR involved), pitch cv, cv to wave folder. I have a delay on one of the three voice.
No wiggling. No cv in to Jerkoff. Just chaos. I have a single Jerkoff. Don't know if you can buy them anymore... Maybe just quad jerkoffs.

The circuit is alive! :zombie:
https://freesound.org/people/gis_sweden/sounds/459544/

gis_sweden
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gis_sweden » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:53 pm

ziovinos wrote:That's right I don’t have such a module....
I think we posted at the same time :lol:
Very clever patch. Very "modular". Finding new ways and solutions. I really like your modular. Nice selection of modules! Elegant. :tu:

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Looked it up. The "jerk" equation sounds interesting. This merits further research... :driving:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

tardishead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tardishead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:16 am

cptnal wrote:Looked it up. The "jerk" equation sounds interesting. This merits further research... :driving:
Wow I love your latest tune!
sounds like a alien Ennio Moricone
care to talk about your patch? Forgive me if you have done so already

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:56 am

tardishead wrote:
cptnal wrote:Looked it up. The "jerk" equation sounds interesting. This merits further research... :driving:
Wow I love your latest tune!
sounds like a alien Ennio Moricone
care to talk about your patch? Forgive me if you have done so already
Gosh! Thank you. :guinness:

Broadly it's pretty simple. The drone is Telharmonic plus Morphagene running a sample of music from Sakhalin island. The melody is apropos to this thread because it's Krell-based - a self-cycling function with fall time modulated by a sample and hold. The sample and hold also dictates the pitch. I'm using Maths as a complex envelope which also controls the rate and depth of the tremolo. I think I used the STO for that one. Lastly, the screeching noise is a BIA into a Chronoblob with a Wasp filter in the feedback path. The frequency of the Wasp is enveloped to keep it just on the good side of runaway feedback. Now that I come to describe it it doesn't sound that simple after all. :deadbanana:

And I've been having a look at jerk physics and the Jerkoff module. Reminds me of the Wogglebug in parts. But there was something in the description of jerk physics, or rather preventing jerks, that got me thinking about equilibrium and then onto phase locked loops as a source of modulation rather than audio. Meditate on this I shall... :zen:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

NiteEagle
Common Wiggler

Post by NiteEagle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:52 am

Nonlinear Circuits has a full suite of chaotic choices.

Triple Sloth
Hypster
Hyperchaos Deluxe
Brain Custard (built as the LFO version it is great for random FM of VCOs when modulated by a Triple Sloth)
Spasm
etc

Much to explore...

See the bottom row of my system.
Chief circuit wrangler at SDIY Chicago

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:11 am

NiteEagle wrote:
Nonlinear Circuits has a full suite of chaotic choices.

Triple Sloth
Hypster
Hyperchaos Deluxe
Brain Custard (built as the LFO version it is great for random FM of VCOs when modulated by a Triple Sloth)
Spasm
etc

Much to explore...

See the bottom row of my system.
Thanks, NiteEagle. :tu:

I find it interesting to imagine how I might patch this kind of functionality, or at least understand how it's done. I rarely get there, but in the process I end up in places I wouldn't otherwise have gone.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

gis_sweden
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gis_sweden » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:49 am

cptnal wrote:And I've been having a look at jerk physics and the Jerkoff module. Reminds me of the Wogglebug in parts. But there was something in the description of jerk physics, or rather preventing jerks, that got me thinking about equilibrium....
I made an unbelievable boring recording of a simple patch controlled by jerkoff. It's a fun module but you never know what you get and how to get there... Is it in an equilibrium-ish state or will something happen?
https://freesound.org/s/459567/
9 minutes of jerking -> 16 minutes of equilibrium -> 15 minutes of jerking... :eek:

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:33 am

gis_sweden wrote:
cptnal wrote:And I've been having a look at jerk physics and the Jerkoff module. Reminds me of the Wogglebug in parts. But there was something in the description of jerk physics, or rather preventing jerks, that got me thinking about equilibrium....
I made an unbelievable boring recording of a simple patch controlled by jerkoff. It's a fun module but you never know what you get and how to get there... Is it in an equilibrium-ish state or will something happen?
https://freesound.org/s/459567/
9 minutes of jerking -> 16 minutes of equilibrium -> 15 minutes of jerking... :eek:
I'll be honest - I didn't listen to the whole thing. :oops:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

gis_sweden
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gis_sweden » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:49 pm

Today I have made generative fan music.
More noise than music?
LFOs are your best friend :tu:
I'm using Doepfer A-147-2, A-147, BMC 2LFOSH, Bastl Instruments Tromsø, NLC Sloth and jerkoff and Pittsburgh Modular LFO2 :eek:
http://bit.ly/2O2XMP4
P.S. Notice the panning :mrgreen: I have built Barton Musical Circuits 4 Quadrant Multiplier and Panner :party:

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:47 am

gis_sweden wrote:More noise than music?
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. 8-)

Thanks for the pointer. Never heard of patzr radio before. I like. And you get pretty close with your version. :tu:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:15 am

So I treated myself to a step sequencer (Ladik S180/181) and thought I'd have a go at gis_sweden's computer program idea.

Here we have a Disting Mk4's TZFM algorithm split into two sample and holds for sample-rate reduction, panned left and right. The program is nine sample and holds (11 in one patch is a personal best) fed the same LFO and triggered by each "line" coming from the step sequencer and a clock divider, and each controlling a parameter of the patch. The script is in the sound's description...

https://freesound.org/people/cptnal/sounds/466222/
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:38 pm

Oh I’m excited about this thread. Will be posting something g up once I get more patchcords (oops).
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

gis_sweden
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gis_sweden » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:59 pm

cptnal wrote:So I treated myself to a step sequencer (Ladik S180/181) and thought I'd have a go at gis_sweden's computer program idea.
:yay:
A step sequencer is a must! I believe you have had another language in mind when describing your patch (script at freesound!). I love the old school feeling.
But I have tried another way of sequencing events, Using comparators. Works fine. Unlimited modulation capabilities! :party:
I made a patch generating short drones. All drones have the same structure and length. A triangle LFO and 2 comparators forms the heart of the patch. A perfect task for a modular synth - generating drones.

[video][/video]

zengomi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zengomi » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:53 pm

At long last, I've made a self-generating patch. It's the first piece I've done in nearly 6 months. Weirdly, it came about on the day we all learned about Mike. Thus the title, "Lamentation".

I was so excited with the result that I quickly added it to my Soundcloud, Bandcamp, and MW sig. This morning, I remastered it to tame some of the high end.

Incidentally, the next day, I made another piece, "Threnody", which is not purely self-generating. It started off with that in mind, but I could not resist adding more during the recording. It's at my Soundcloud and Bandcamp.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:32 am

Interesting stuff, zengomi would you describe what's going on in the patch?

gis_sweden, also check out the Ladik Derivator. I have one right next to my comparator for exactly the reason you describe.

And somehow I managed to have your "generating" video running at the same time as your "from inner balance" video. Sounded rather lovely. :tu:

Oh, and the programming language is C#, just because that's what I'm familiar with. If you'd asked ten years ago it would have been in Visual Basic. :mrgreen:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

colb
Common Wiggler

Post by colb » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:09 pm

I thought I'd have a go myself after reading a lot of this thread. Results are 'interesting'. Probably worth more investigation, but I still need to develop a better intuition about finding the interesting parts of the feedback chaos.

I'd like to find ways to get more variety in the timbre, but without just building a voice with lots of modulation options to tweak it - instead have the timbre variation 'fall out' of the feedback chaos... A bit like bytebeats.

Here's my first attempt:

https://soundcloud.com/colray/mutated-bassoon

gis_sweden
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gis_sweden » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:34 am

cptnal wrote:gis_sweden, also check out the Ladik Derivator. I have one right next to my comparator for exactly the reason you describe.
Derivator... What does that thing do? I used the combination comparator and slew in my patch. An ADSR or a sample and hold reacts at both ends of the comparators square wave. So use slew with EOC :tu: Lets not forget envelope followers. When I think of it, my favourite modules are relatively cheap. Attenuverter, mixer, comparator, LFO, S/H... "action modules".
And :vcas:

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”