MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I want more FoH gear.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author I want more FoH gear.
vav
Dear Kevin,

I love your designs and modules. Please make more stuff.

<3

-adam
Moog$FooL$
i bet he'd like you..... if you bought everything that he makes!
or.... is that already the case??

razz
vav
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
i bet he'd like you..... if you bought everything that he makes!
or.... is that already the case??

razz

I dont care if he likes me or not, i want him to succeed and make more modules razz

But since you asked, i have a Choices, recently sold an SoS (will be replacing once i expand cases again), a PB will be on my next AH order, and i'm looking into power options on my new case razz
Moog$FooL$
nice.

hopefully u understand i was just funnin'.

i met Kevin (at least i think that's his name very frustrating ) at The Squarewaves thing up here last Fall. really nice guy & easy to talk to. i hope he does well with his products.
vav
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
nice.

hopefully u understand i was just funnin'.

i met Kevin (at least i think that's his name very frustrating ) at The Squarewaves thing up here last Fall. really nice guy & easy to talk to. i hope he does well with his products.

Of corpse, i know smile
flight
Heh, thanks for the support!

Here's the story:
f(h) has always been perilously underfunded from the beginning, which forced new product development to be a very low priority - I just couldn't afford it most of the time. I have a freaking pile of designs (not just modules either) that have just been gathering dust. And so we've been trying like mad to get some funding so we could finally have products assembled by f*cking anybody but me and allow me to get back to doing the good part of the business: creating new gear.

This weekend, we were almost forced to just give up and shut down. The economy has been a huge strain on everybody in every market and f(h) is just too small for banks to want to risk taking a chance on us. Fortunately, however, something has finally come through (as of Sunday evening actually), so we're not going anywhere - and you can expect to see some new products this year.

There are some big changes coming up and it's going to look bad for a bit, but don't worry, here's basically what's going to happen, in order:
  • As of today, we are not accepting any new orders, from anybody. The store pages will be shut down.
  • We will concentrate on fulfilling all extant orders and other backlog.
  • I'm going to sleep for about a week (I've basically been working 12-15 hour days every day since Fall of 2007, so I'm kind of tired.)
  • Work on completing about 4-5 products, initially concentrating on changes and revisions necessary to make existing product lines economically viable for outside assembly, then some alternate format products, and maybe one or two completely new products (we shall see).
  • Getting said items manufactured and out to dealers' shelves
  • And then getting to work on some seriously twisted shit that will make your parents or loved ones weep - and I promise I'll do my damndest to make that happen.
JohnLRice
Best of luck with the fight to survive, Kevin! Hug You can do it! thumbs up
hpsounds
Don't give up ! Your products are fine !!! love

thumbs up

Hédi K.
rico loverde
Enjoy your sleep!!! Can't wait to see the future of FOH and can't wait for FOH to make my loved ones weep.... applause
zerosum
flight wrote:
And then getting to work on some seriously twisted shit that will make your parents or loved ones weep - and I promise I'll do my damndest to make that happen.

I want to see you succeed! thumbs up Flight Of Harmony
CursedFrogurt
flight wrote:
Heh, thanks for the support!

Here's the story:
f(h) has always been perilously underfunded from the beginning, which forced new product development to be a very low priority - I just couldn't afford it most of the time. I have a freaking pile of designs (not just modules either) that have just been gathering dust. And so we've been trying like mad to get some funding so we could finally have products assembled by f*cking anybody but me and allow me to get back to doing the good part of the business: creating new gear.

This weekend, we were almost forced to just give up and shut down. The economy has been a huge strain on everybody in every market and f(h) is just too small for banks to want to risk taking a chance on us. Fortunately, however, something has finally come through (as of Sunday evening actually), so we're not going anywhere - and you can expect to see some new products this year.

There are some big changes coming up and it's going to look bad for a bit, but don't worry, here's basically what's going to happen, in order:
  • As of today, we are not accepting any new orders, from anybody. The store pages will be shut down.
  • We will concentrate on fulfilling all extant orders and other backlog.
  • I'm going to sleep for about a week (I've basically been working 12-15 hour days every day since Fall of 2007, so I'm kind of tired.)
  • Work on completing about 4-5 products, initially concentrating on changes and revisions necessary to make existing product lines economically viable for outside assembly, then some alternate format products, and maybe one or two completely new products (we shall see).
  • Getting said items manufactured and out to dealers' shelves
  • And then getting to work on some seriously twisted shit that will make your parents or loved ones weep - and I promise I'll do my damndest to make that happen.

It upsets me to hear that you've been that close to the edge of closing the business. I think your products are awesome, and I want them all! One thing that bums me out big time is when I hear you say (in other threads) that you don't make ANY money on the Plague Bearer. Honest to god, you've put so much work into building the damn things, you really should be making some money on them. At the current price, they are an absolute steal, and I think anybody would be happy to pay more for them. I know it is important to you that your products be affordable, but they also need to be affordable to you. I don't know about everybody else, but I'd much rather spend more on something I love and keep somebody in business rather than have a good deal on one or two products and never hear from them again because they folded. Modular synth equipment already costs an assload, and its an assload I'm prepared to pay, and I'm glad to fork over more cash to put food on the table of the real, actual people who take on the massive risk (and work!) of funding a small business.

Anyways, that's my say, and I hope you are able to get FoH into profitability. I'm sure the plans of going with external assembly will really help that; I'd love to see your primary role in the business be designing rather than assembly labor. Even though I don't set the prices, I almost would feel guilty buying more products that don't yield any more profit.

I hope that everything turns out commander keen on the foh front Hug
nrdvrgr
You got my support as well, you make superb instruments.
And as been said before - charge a little more for your stuff - seriously.
They are totally worth more. I am going to buy myself a fourth Plague Bearer as soon as I can because of this post. Amen.

Now sleep, and then bring us a Plague oscillator!
negativspace
Everything I have to say on this matter has been more eloquently said already, so I'll just add another vote of support. Knowing you didn't make any money on the PBs I bought makes me want to go to paypal and rectify the mistake. I believe I will.
Soy Sos
Ya Flight,
love your work and design style!
Do what you need to do to keep this thing going if at all possible.
The only thing I don't own of yours is the V'amp, which I tried out
and really dug, but just don't have space for. You have and always
will have my full support, for what ever that's worth.
flight
Thanks to all, it means a lot!
Let me clear up the Plague Bearer issue: I do make money on the PB modules and the Quad PB, it's the PB Barebones Pack that is near-cost, and this is due to me having to build it by hand. So even this will change once we get assembly outsourced. Everything is on track, I just knowingly committed the "no-no" of starting a business without having any funding, so the going has been rough. Thanks to all of you, however, it is finally smoothing out. I couldn't have gotten here without y'all, and am very glad I started f(h) because this scene is a great thing to experience.

So don't worry, I'm not altruistic by any means (but then, nobody is, but this is not the place for a philosophy debate), and I understand the intricacies of business practices all too well. I am actually an idealistic realist (not an oxymoron, it is possible) in this regard and it is my intent that f(h) is going strong for at least another 50 years.
slow_riot
All I can speak of, is The Plague Bearer which I think is an absolutely stellar instrument. It would have been sad for everybody if f(H) had slipped over the edge. Good luck with your forward journey. smile
flight
I know I've alarmed a few people with this post, which was expected, so I want to clarify a couple things:

1) f(h) is here to stay. That is what my verbose ramblings above are trying to explain. We're going to disappear for a couple weeks to concentrate on getting everything in order so it all runs much more smoothly, and I did not want people to think we were disappearing for ever or get alarmed.

2) Warranty and other customer service-related issues are always top priority. I didn't mention this because I don't even think about it - that's just the way it is. I don't care what is going on in the business, you paid me for a product so that product should work. End of discussion. So: any warranty issues (old or new) will still be taken care of even during the upcoming transition period.
BugBrand
flight wrote:
.. I just knowingly committed the "no-no" of starting a business without having any funding, ..

There is nothing that says you have to have funding to start a business!
(in fact, I'd sometimes recommend against it. Getting in debt from the outset? No way!)

Keep at it Flight, but charge a fair price - fair for the users and for YOU.
(You are worth it!)

I've often wondered how the hell some small Euro people can hope to compete against the low prices of Doepfer (who, of course, have a much bigger production budget).

I know very well how fun & exciting it can be to really pour yourself into the work you love, but you also do have to take care of yourself (in many different ways).

Good luck with it all as always!
mckenic
Yep! Just to add my voice of support to the cause! TBH I was quite stunned when I saw the price of your kits mate! Fantastic for us just starting off but still fantastic value if they cost more!!!

Would it be awkward if I said I got a boner when you posted the possibility of new things question

thumbs up
theantiroman
Sorry for making you make my barebones choices by hand! I do dig the design though and I am having fun putting it together!
vav
Good luck to you This is fun!
zerosum
I love what you do and admire that you want to make everything affordable to everyone! Serious kudos! Not enough words!
But if you need to charge the production costs X3 to make the retail then do so!
Your products are worth it!
You have bent over backwards to keep prices low, maybe its time to end the introductory price and increase to a sustainable level.

Either way, just keep doing what you do! We the community love you and your vision!
thumbs up
numan7
we're not worthy f(h) totally rocks!!! i can't wait to see what you design next... hyper

cheers,
n7
Knobtwister
flight wrote:
And then getting to work on some seriously twisted shit that will make your parents or loved ones weep

Fuck yes! SlayerBadger!
computer controlled
Don't forget Kevin, if you need help with anything, i'm here. I'm not working right now, so i have all day to get dirty and inhale fumes if needed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2