MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY MMM Bananas ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Author DIY MMM Bananas ?
The Panda Returns
I lurk often and found the MMM concept to be very nice and apartment friendly. However, I wonder how one would go about adding other diy circuits into MMM format ? How deep can you go ?

Also, I lurk often in the rouge banana section, and found that some have bananified other modules. Can MMM be bananified as well (any normalisation ?)
mmm
They can. I like to use switching jacks on signal and modulation inputs that keep them at ground when nothing is patched into them just to keep out any spurious interferance.

Also, some of the inputs for CV's on multiple channel modules are cascaded just to reduce patch cord clutter and save on jack population but, nothing says they can't be switched.
The Panda Returns
Sweet ! That is good to know. Also, although I realise the format is young, are there many other diy circuits available that will fit in the MMM format ? I am thinking of things like CGS, Papareil's Polivoks clone, Oakley modules, etc... It would appear that many PCBs are larger than the dimensions would allow....
The Panda Returns
Further inspection on the MMM wiki reveals that the dimensions of the PC board are roughly the same as the panels.... I don't think too much other stuff would fit on that.....

On the other hand, some of the CGS PCBs might - like the Wavefolder (0.8" by 2").....

Still, very compelling to fit a system into an apartment. Or suitcase....
mmm
Yeah, my boards are pretty small. I kinda just focus on my stuff and never really explored everybody else.

So, The other guys here will have to help you with size comparisons smile
negativspace
That's what guys do best, right? razz

Here's a thought... there are lots of PCBs out there which would fit behind a double-wide MMM panel. That would be what, 3.5x7"? CGS has a ton of stuff on 1"x6" and 2"x6" boards. That opens the door to a lot of 4U and 5U designed boards - just make sure they fit between the rails.

What's the clearance in that respect, George?
pugix
mmm wrote:
Yeah, my boards are pretty small. I kinda just focus on my stuff and never really explored everybody else.

So, The other guys here will have to help you with size comparisons smile

George uses 1/8 watt resistors to squeeze things together. Very compact boards! applause
mmm
I did my best to make them as small as I could and still use through-hole components.

I had to re-design my quAD/ASR to allow it to trigger at around 2.5-3V. Richard got the first one. That was a tight board. But, they're all the same size on the single-wide modules to fit the mounting scheme so, modules like the mixer and buffer look pretty empty compared to some of the others. The VCO, I had to go with a 4-layer board and had to add a bit more board space to cram it all on there.

My single panels are all 3.5" x 3.5" and the panels are all the same with a 4x4 hole matrix spaced at 0.70". The graphics cover the unused holes.

Thanks for chiming in guys and "HI!" Richard smile

I'm still in the midwest and don't have easy access to a lot of my info so, thanks.

G
The Panda Returns
Wow.... I didn't realise your were traveling ! By all means, enjoy your vacation ! Sorry to interrupt....
mmm
The Panda Returns wrote:
Wow.... I didn't realise your were traveling ! By all means, enjoy your vacation ! Sorry to interrupt....

No problem. I came out to Chicago for the Trash Audio/Xart synth event so, not exactly a vacation despite how fun it was. I love it when work is a blast smile

My customers are a great group of people and pretty much have my back when I'm strapped with occasional internet access so, ask away. Rockin' Banana!

G
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Page 1 of 1