MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

so, i found a Rhodes on the side of the road today
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author so, i found a Rhodes on the side of the road today
flippantminister
i was on my way home from work, driving through a fairly sketchy neighborhood, and i noticed something keyboard-like on the side of the road. went back around the block, and found that it was a rhodes. threw it in the back of the car. it is totally jacked- all the electronics and tines are ripped out, the top, sides and back are missing, none of the keys actually press down. BUT, the logo on the front panel is in excellent shape! and my rhodes is missing the logo. so, perfect!

anyone else find something cool on the side of the road?
zerosum
I usually refrain from demanding pics(I think) but I would really like to see this 8)

I haven't ever found any gear(I dream that I find gear all the time) but I have found a cool piece of art in a dumpster:

Cybananna
That's cool and too bad it wasn't a great working rhodes. Nice art too I'd like to find that in the trash.

I've found tons of cool / strange stuff in trash (never any music stuff). My friends and I used to go out on "big trash day" and find the strangest crap and haul it to another friends house (in another area where "big trash" had already happened) in the middle of the night and leave it in their front yard. Not only did they wake with strange crap in their yard, they had to figure out how to get rid of it. Probably more fun to do it than read about it being done though.
Kent
I once found a Hammond M3 organ. It worked fine after a few of the tubes were replaced.

I also found a 1964 Ampeg Reverborocket that needed much more help, but remains my favorite 'clean' amp to this day.
futuresoundsystems
Haha I found a crappy Yamaha Portasound keyboard ditched on the side of a road once. Doesn't power up via standard DC power connector, but works fine on batteries. I plan to rewire the DC connector to the battery terminals, and while it's open possibly circuit bend it... or I might just use it as a MIDI controller... who knows.
suitandtieguy
i climbed _into_ a dumpster once to pull the internal Leslie motors and reverb tanks out of a Hammond T-200 and mystery Lowery which i couldn't actually pull _out_ of the dumpster, and even if i could would not have fit in the 1994 Buick Park Avenue i was driving at the time.

did i mention that i did this with my bare hands, or that it was 11pm in the middle of Peoria's ghetto?

if you've never removed the motor stack from an OEM Leslie with no tools and no light while someone is buying crack across the street you just haven't lived.
Luka
hehe no doubt stg

we have a upright piano which was pulled from a dumpster up the road from us. it is extremely water damaged and only a few keys play (extremely out of tune) but we love it. moreso decor than functional musical piece.
tony d
did i mention that i did this with my bare hands, or that it was 11pm in the middle of Peoria's ghetto?

Peoria ain't no place you gonna find this white boy at 11 at night
suitandtieguy
it's okay, it was a church parking lot. i had just repaired their organ and they said there was "some junk organs" out in the dumpster. the lord had my back that night.
smitty
Gut the Rhodes add a power supply/rails and make it a modular enclosure. razz
Cybananna
suitandtieguy wrote:
it's okay, it was a church parking lot. i had just repaired their organ and they said there was "some junk organs" out in the dumpster. the lord had my back that night.

...and the crackheads across the street thought you were way too cracked out to mess with if you were pulling big heavy mechanical things out of a dumpster. Drugs spinning
tony d
"crazy ass white boy"
suitandtieguy
Cybananna wrote:
the crackheads across the street thought you were way too cracked out to mess with if you were pulling big heavy mechanical things out of a dumpster. Drugs spinning

are you saying they thought i had been drinking Red Balls?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1 473743909
Cybananna
exactly
b3nsf
Today my roommate and I found a "norelco" (like the shavers?) TUBE reel to reel on the side walk, well we took it home and cut the tube amp section out... Maybe on second thought I should have taken the power supply too, it was back on the curb and gone before I had that thought... eek! junk goes quick in the city.. seriously, i just don't get it hmmm..... meh meh
modularplanner
Found a gutted Transcendent 2000 down the side alley of a McDonalds once near me. Shame it was gutted could have hauled a few spare chips out of it.
flippantminister
smitty wrote:
Gut the Rhodes add a power supply/rails and make it a modular enclosure. razz

man, i wish! not gonna happen, though...

this morning was actually the first time i have seen it in the light- we had family in town when i picked it up, so i dropped it off at a friends house so i could deal with it later. finally got by there today. this thing is more fucked than i initially thought! kinda sad to see it in this state. but hey, again... free logo!
Soy Sos
Maaaaaan, that thing is FUUUUUUUCKED up! lol

Anything else of use in there?
flippantminister
Soy Sos wrote:
Maaaaaan, that thing is FUUUUUUUCKED up! lol

Anything else of use in there?

pretty much just the logo. oh, and the two knobs... meh

i just wonder-
a) how did it end up in this state
b) why was it on the side of the road in the ghetto
c) what the dude running down the middle of the street towards my car wanted
Soy Sos
Yeah, I bought this busted ass tube organ for $15 at a house sale
years ago. Worked like shit and I though one day I'd try to fix it up.
Before I finally chucked it I ripped out the fully functioning Leslie
rotating speaker thingy. It's works great, a bit of a pain in the ass
to set up and mic correctly but has really made it in some tracks
I've produced. Does that count for this thread?
flippantminister
Soy Sos wrote:
Does that count for this thread?

surely.

i once bought a farfisa minicompact i found in the paper for $35. turns out a friend of mine had already gone, looked at it and passed... dunno why you would not get it for $35??? anyway, it was hopelessly out of tune- when you went up the keyboard the notes were in the completely wrong order. tried tuning it and never could get any improvement. this was the early-internet days, when you could not find lots of the information you can get now. eventually sold it in the same condition on ebay for $300.
11ish
8 or 9 years ago i found a Korg Minipops drummachine on the street... the metal was bent, the whole thing was totally trashed and unusable... i kept it for some time and threw it away eventually.

25 years ago i found a drumset among the bulk garbage on the street, it was almost complete and in ok shape. Back then, in german cities twice a year there was an appointed day when you were allowed to dispose of your bulk garbage on the streets. The local newspapers published a calendar where you could check in which neighbourhood garbage was collected on what day. Those were great days for hunters and collectors hyper

The next day after i found the drumset, i started a band...
zerosum
tony d wrote:
"crazy ass white boy"

"Nilla Cakesta!" hihi
suitandtieguy
you know my friend Matt says that any Rhodes can be made to kick ass.

this might be the exception.
Leisure Cove
11ish-- I've got almost the exact same story! hyper

I found a set of marching band drums on the curb one Bulk Trash day a few years back on my way to school (in Maryland). Most needed new heads but were otherwise great. Needless to say, I didn't make it to my morning classes. My housemates and I started a band shortly thereafter:

I love Bulk Trash Day-- it's equal parts scavenger hunt and Christmas.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2