MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ModCan Dreams...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author ModCan Dreams...
D/A A/D
So in 2010, I am going to start my ModCan system if all is well (and I have my shit together). So this is my purposed 7 space system, for starters...

The price tag scares the crap out of me, but I really love the ModCan sound, function and aesthetic...

We shall see.

And for shits n giggles, here is my plan for 2011:

d'oh!

Alex
sandyb
good luck to your bank balance!
i think the "old" quad lfo looks like a cool module (i don't own one) but i'd recommend you look into the newer one (61a/b) - it has a whole pile of utility built into it and could quite easily be the only modulation source in a small system. of course, both would be best smile

sandy
NV
I may be completely wrong, but I seem to recall talk of Bruce discontinuing the Dual Oscillator. It could just be the rumor mill churning, but you may want to check with him just in case before you get too attached to the idea.
parasitk
What no Quad LFO (either)??!? Are you feeling okay? Maybe you're not the real D/A A/D? hihi

Also I think Bruce is phasing out that Dual Oscillator, so it might not even be available by 2010. I'll search the ModCan Yahoo and see if I can find the post.

My 2010 ModCan plans:

The Dual Low Pass Gates I'll be building from two of the 292c boards I have here.

Also: Quad LFO (03a, simple), Dual LFO, VC ADSR, Boolean, and the yet to come FUNs module.
parasitk
Dual VCO: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Modcan/message/1903

FUNs: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Modcan/message/1844
BananaPlug
Quote:
i think the "old" quad lfo looks like a cool module (i don't own one) but i'd recommend you look into the newer one (61a/b) - it has a whole pile of utility built into it and could quite easily be the only modulation source in a small system. of course, both would be best

They may both be "quad LFOs" but are different as night and day. I've only had the 61 for a little while but can say that with its gating and modulation inputs it's sort of an endless bag of tricks. On the other hand the 03 takes up very little space and handles all the routine LFO tasks with a minimum of fuss, saving the 61A for trickier stuff. The triangle/square switches have a handy off position in the center and it goes up to about 7kHZ (quad MFO?).
D/A A/D
parasitk wrote:
What no Quad LFO (either)??!? Are you feeling okay? Maybe you're not the real D/A A/D? hihi

Also I think Bruce is phasing out that Dual Oscillator, so it might not even be available by 2010. I'll search the ModCan Yahoo and see if I can find the post.

BWHA HA HA!

It looks amazing, but it's 2 spaces and MAD SKRILL...

That really sucks about the Dual Oscillator... I really rather not have to buy a mod that I can't use for months and months (again)... But they do run on Blacet psu's don't they?.. very frustrating

NOOO WHEN WILL IT END???
parasitk
Actually I was referring to the simple Quad LFO! 1 space slim beauty. That's the one I'm gonna get. grin

They'll run on Blacet PSU, but they're 3 pin not four, unless you ask Bruce to terminate with 4 pin... There's a thread on that somewhere.
chimologic
whats the FUN module? cant access the group
parasitk
chimologic wrote:
whats the FUN module? cant access the group

I don't know if that's what the final module will be called, but it's a math module inspired by the FUN(ctions) of the Kurzweil K2000:

wikipedia wrote:
A discussion of V.A.S.T. would not be complete without mentioning "FUNs". "FUN" stands for "function", and these are mathematical equations that take two values (a and b) as inputs and perform an operation on them. FUN equations include "a+b", "a*b", "b/(1-a)", and many others of varying complexity. They also allow for self-modulation; some FUNs introduce a variable "y" which represents the most recent output of the FUN. The Kurzweil evaluates each FUN every 20 milliseconds, hence it can take that value and plug it back into the equation if the equation has "y" as an input variable. Any modulation source can be assigned to a or b (or both at the same time) in a FUN. This can be used to mix two modulation sources, cause one to multiply the effects of another, and so forth. Internally, the K2000 rescales whatever value is currently being sent by the control source to a number between -1 and 1 (for bipolar control sources. Unipolar sources are scaled between 0 and 1), then applies the function and returns an output value. Using FUNS, therefore, more than three control sources can be assigned to modulate a parameter in a block since you can assign a FUN as a modulation source for "Src1", "Src2", or "Dptctl". Four FUNs are available per layer and FUNs can be assigned as inputs to other FUNs. The Kurzweil evaluates the FUNs sequentially, hence for this to work you would want to assign FUN1 as an input to FUN2, but not vice-versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurzweil_K2000

I feel weird copying and pasting directly from the list, but here's the list of K2000 FUNs from a post in that thread:

Quote:
a+b
a-b
(a+b)/2
a/2+b
a/4+b/2
(a+2b)/3
a*b
-a*b
a*10^b
min (a, b)
max (a, b)
Quantize b to a
lowpass (f=a, b)
hipass (f=a, b)
b/(1-a)
a(b-y)
(a+b)^2
sin (a+b)
cos (a+b)
tri (a+b)
warp1(a, b)
a AND b
a OR b
b>a
ramp (f=a+b)
ramp (f=a-b)
ramp (f=(a+b)/2)
ramp (f=a*b)
ramp (f= -a*b)
ramp (f=a*10^b)
ramp (f=(a+b)/4)
a(y+b)
ay+b
(a+1)y+b
y+a(y+b)
a I y I +b
Sample b On a
Sample b On -a
Track b While a
diode (a-b)
diode (a-b+.5)
diode (a-b-.5)
diode (a-b+.25)
diode (a-b-.25)
Track b While -a

Also Bruce says they have FUNs of their own to add, plus he wants them to work on audio as well SlayerBadger!
sandyb
parasitk wrote:
Actually I was referring to the simple Quad LFO! 1 space slim beauty. That's the one I'm gonna get. grin

They'll run on Blacet PSU, but they're 3 pin not four, unless you ask Bruce to terminate with 4 pin... There's a thread on that somewhere.

there is indeed - took me ages!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1739
sydilaxe
Well,
I have most of those modules in A-series. I do not own the new digital quad LFO; however, I do have the slim one. It is incredibly useful and the LFOs go into the audio range. The Dual VCO is definitely discontinued; the Dual VDO is the only option at this point in A-series. As many demos here have demonstrated, both of the digital oscillators are fantastic.

I am very happy to have a Vector Fade (another discontinued module). It is very cool in conjunction with the CV recorder on audio sources. Although you get the best fidelity in the 4 second range, you can up to around 16 seconds of lo-fi audio. I use it for adding aliasing to samples or audio for a different texture.

Another essential module is the 4VCA (which is a great voltage controlled mixer)...I have 3 in my system (for VCA and utility functions, attenuation, etc.).

Take the plunge (and then you will start converting your euro modules to banana)...
sydilaxe
I would definitely replace the Mix/Lag with a 4Vca. You can always use one or both of your Dual LFOs for slewing. The Quad EG is a GREAT module...but I am biased.
consumed
my understanding is that bruce will discontinue the old simple quad lfo for the newer digital one (if it hasnt been disco'd already).
D/A A/D
This is breaking my dream...
thermionicjunky
Modcan's utility modules are excellent, but it's probably best to get a few of the newer expensive modules. You'll be paying for otherwise unattainable functions rather than just high quality and beauty. However, all of those analog signal processors are great, and I've just been blown away by my new 04B DADSR. You could build the system a bit more slowly using digital VCOs and LFOs. That would be a marvelous system.

I'm leaving room for the FUN module.
D/A A/D
Digital Dreams???

very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating
haricots
The only Modcan I own is the VCDO (b series). It's a wicked module indeed. It runs just fine off a Blacet PSU.
thermionicjunky
D/A A/D wrote:
Digital Dreams???

very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating

yes
parasitk
Is it weird that the digital quad lfo doesn't interest me in all? i might need to jump on that simple quad sooner than later if it's really on its way out...
sydilaxe
I think that the two quad lfos are geared towards different functions. The single space quad LFO is great for:
-clock pulses
-evolving modulations
-unusual modulations (with the mix output)
-FM operators, etc

The digital one seems to do all the above, plus adds:
-quadrature functionality
-unusual waveforms for modulation purposes
-behavioral patterns and modes that only a digital module can provide

Both seem to be great options, but if space was an issue, I would go for the single space module (it has cv ins, so it can always be modulated by a DVDO or miniwave for unusual behaviors).
sydilaxe
Also, the digital module is great for clock based modulations (as it has the sync inputs)...this is not a possibility with its single-space, analog half-brother.
MrDys
One feature I really like on the digi qLFO is the amplitude control and being able to CV it. It cuts down on needing a ton of VCAs for modulation.
BananaPlug
The 03 is a must have. The 61 is growing on me. The 61 does things that if I could do them at all before, tied up multiple modules. What takes a little getting used to is the particular combination of constraints. It is after all a quad module and as such the number of jacks and knobs per function is limited. So okay there's "only" one gate input but it works three different ways and can operate on any combination of channels at once. Or, there's "only" one VC input per channel but you can VC three different parameters with it by different amounts.

The tricky stuff is great but, what's probably more useful over the long term is just the fact that when doing simple LFO tasks you have a bunch of shapes to chose from and you don't have to tie up a VCA or a CV mixer/attenuator to tweak the level. The random waves are a big plus too.
Reese P. Dubin
Holy crap I have not looked at Modcan's offerings in years now...I can only imagine the prices have spiked along with creativity and options.

eek!

Must
not
purchase
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2