MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Programming snare sounds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Programming snare sounds
Guesswerk
Hi,

I'd really like to create intersting snare sounds with my euro modular but can't really get anything better than a burst of shaped noise, tried with an oscillator layered with it and some pitch bend. Close but just not right. I make electro/techno type music so snares are important to me - does anyone have any tips on exactly whats going on in a snare?

thanks, dan
langley
Check out snoop's site >> frodebeats
beyourdog
Hi,
my 2 cents in it, with jist a noise, filter, 1 envelop and a vca, ...
Noise in filter, filter in vca, 1 envelop out, very snappy to filter cv freq i
,2 nd envelop out to
vca, by modulating snapiness of envelop and vca opening, would be close to it...
Percussion is usually based on
noise... waah
hope it helps
dogoftears
wave multiplier helps a lot with snare-shaping.
also sexy envelope mod on a rich filter.

modulate decay of amp and filter for dynamic pattern...
mojopin
I got some more realistic than life snares patched up. Read this SOS article where he writes about an ideal patch for the snare:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Mar02/articles/synthsecrets0302.asp

Use as many modules as you can to get close. I had everything except a frequency shifter but it still sounded awesome.

basically, i mixed an fm osc with a quick hit and another fm osc with a longer decay..both heads in essence. then i ran white noise through a lpg for snappy hit. then noise through a bandpassed and notched filter for the tail.
rezzn8r
mojopin wrote:

basically, i mixed an fm osc with a quick hit and another fm osc with a longer decay..both heads in essence. then i ran white noise through a lpg for snappy hit. then noise through a bandpassed and notched filter for the tail.

I've also had good results from FM'd VCOs SlayerBadger!
Seaweed Sound
Another trick is make the filter self oscillate then modulate it with a noise source instead of running the noise through the filter.
megaohm
langley wrote:
Check out snoop's site >> frodebeats

Great link! Thanks.

The SOS series on percussion has helped me a lot in the past.

IMO, percussion patches are the most complex things to do.
Throw all your patch cords and entire synth at it!
Personally, I go for realistic playability (ie: enormous dynamic depth and range of response) rather than realistic sound.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1