Flame Clockwork Euro Module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

chimologic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chimologic » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:12 am

one very strange thing about my stand alone unit is that I can only get the CV outs to work when I use the power supply that came with it. Which is actaulyl a 220 volt power supply plugged into a 220 to 110 converter, its heavy as hell, and doesn't make sense when you can just get a similar light power supply that works with US voltage...or so I thought

Initially I thought that the problem was because I was using a 12 volt power supply (even though the manual says it will work with a power supply between 12 and 14)
so I tried to get a similar power supply 14 volts, more than 500 ma, and still the same problem. the gates and all fucntions work fine but nothing out of the cv outs.

this is probably the wrong thread to add this but figured at least the right eyes are on it....

C.

stretta
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stretta » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:38 pm

My clockworks is for sale or trade.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:44 pm

stretta wrote:My clockworks is for sale or trade.
i wonder why! :hihi:

sendhelp
Common Wiggler

yes...!

Post by sendhelp » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:25 pm

psyched for this....!

(woo)

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:39 am

dkcg wrote:Are you going to make a "wiard" panel for it? :mrgreen:
I would like to change my answer to an unqualified yes :) Here is a draft layout for the Clockwork/Gate Sequencer module I'm having Mike @ MetalboX work up for me. We have other plans as well, still germinating.

helitron
Common Wiggler

Post by helitron » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:49 am

thats avesome!
looks like i need a second case soon.

NV
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NV » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:12 pm

Flame just put up a video of the Clockwork module in action:

Hopefully this means the module will be shipping out soon, it seems like an ideal clock solution for a modular and having it mounted into the rack is a wonderful idea.

astroschnautzer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by astroschnautzer » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:34 pm

NV wrote:Flame just put up a video of the Clockwork module in action:

Hopefully this means the module will be shipping out soon, it seems like an ideal clock solution for a modular and having it mounted into the rack is a wonderful idea.
I asked schneidersbuero aubout it and they said it is planned to be out in the end of april (but no guarantee). The flame clockwork is everything I have missed in my a-190 plus loads more (atleast on paper)

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:14 pm

I believe that Per only has the prototype running at the moment and is working out the DIY instructions for running on 15V. It won't be long now :)

Also (cough) I've still for a standalone Clockwork if anyone is interested.

Kent
Large Member

Embed Stylee

Post by Kent » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:22 am

[video][/video]

REwire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REwire » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:37 am

The Clockwork standalone has a Midi-CV converter in it as well and can kill many birds with one stone. I hope this module keeps that.

I wonder what the Clockwork standalone will be worth used. Mine will be on the block as well, but not until the new one is screwed in. I use it all the time.

Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:51 am

can I just say I actually don't understand the clockwork in the least? it's like a sequencer but not. I've read stuff about it but what are the lamens terms?

MrDys
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MrDys » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:56 am

I've tried to come up with an explanation a few times, hopefully this one works:

The Clockwork is 3 separate rhythm generators (with straight, triplet, and dotted divisions) sync'd to a master clock (internal or external via MIDI). Each generator also has a forward/backward offset allowing for more "swung" rhythms.

That's the basic bit of it. It's more for playing rhythms off of one another than it is for "sequencing". Or you could use each one independently as 3 clock dividers. Or you could use it as a MIDI-to-CV device. Or, or, or... It's a really powerful device, for sure. I've had it since it came out, and I'm still finding new and interesting ways to use it.

helitron
Common Wiggler

Re: Embed Stylee

Post by helitron » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:50 am

Kent wrote:[video][/video]

... more clockwork, less noise 8)

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:29 am

REwire wrote:The Clockwork standalone has a Midi-CV converter in it as well and can kill many birds with one stone. I hope this module keeps that.
Yes, the Midi/CV features are retained, the module is identical to the standalone version except for the addition of a dedicated 16th note clock output.

Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:41 pm

is it possible to make patterns that can actually be synced to midi? how would the rate knobs behave at that point?

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:27 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:is it possible to make patterns that can actually be synced to midi? how would the rate knobs behave at that point?
You can feed Midi clock to the Clockwork and it will lock up just fine. Those aren't rate knobs, they're divisor knobs. Midi clock comes in with a given BPM, the clockwork interprets that and lets you pull three separate clock signals from it. But the outputs are clocks, steady pulses (well, with variable gate width, variable swing on the 8ths or 16ths, and a randomizer function for each of the 3 channels), not "patterns". There is a clock/gate SUM output but unless you crank the random, it basically gives you the fasted division.

So making patterns is up to you, using VC switches or crossfaders or a VCA.

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:06 pm

Speaking of things that recently came in the mail...

Per packaged the knobs and the switch caps and nuts separately so I can migrate the module to the combined Clockwork/Gate Sequencer panel Michael Ford will construct for me next month :)
Side View
Top View

The only drawback for my plans is I am, for the first time, confronted with this:

By convention, red stripe is positive voltage? I have a note in to Per also, his hand drawn explanation confused me. Also, is there a stock matching male header part that clips onto these so I can make a sane, locking converter cable for 4 pin MOTM headers? Thanks for any tips, multi-format DIY peeps.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:14 pm

How that connector is attached, looks like the red stripe is -12v, it looks like the narrower standard doepfer cable the way the connector is. But You may make sure with Per. He's been super quick with emails with me in the past, like email now, and you may know by bedtime.

Too bad I can't buy that faceplate off you and just shove my clockworks behind it... :lol:

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:19 pm

dkcg wrote:How that connector is attached, looks like the red stripe is -12v, it looks like the narrower standard doepfer cable the way the connector is. But You may make sure with Per. He's been super quick with emails with me in the past, like email now, and you may know by bedtime.

Too bad I can't buy that faceplate off you and just shove my clockworks behind it... :lol:
Yeah, the PCBs are completely different between the tall and short version of the Clockwork. This particular one has already been modded for +/-15V, I'll just wait on Per to get back to me on that. Still would love help with the right part number for the connector.

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:40 pm

fuck that looks like fun :love:
severely trying to resist starting a small euro setup :bang:

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:37 am

Hey, I just looked, and the manual on the Flame website is *much* better than it was a few months ago! Serious update-age.

Reptil
In space no one can hear you wiggle

Post by Reptil » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:06 am

one question please about the record function:
say I made a recording of the last 2 bars, and I want to take this with me, if I power down the clockwork is the recorded pattern gone?
very interesting!

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:25 am

plord wrote:Still would love help with the right part number for the connector.
they're 16-pin IDC connectors - or do you mean that particular connector? Or the male side of it?
Isn't what you really need there a pin out diagram for Doepfer-style euro-rack?
Andreas.

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:31 am

Reptil wrote:one question please about the record function:
say I made a recording of the last 2 bars, and I want to take this with me, if I power down the clockwork is the recorded pattern gone?
very interesting!
I've got no idea, I never had enough of a grip on the recording function to test it out and now the rig is in disarray. I'll try it out when I get things powered and mounted up.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”