MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A module with a USB port?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author A module with a USB port?
darwingrosse
Yeah, that's what we made...

This is the first module from 20 Objects, and it is basically a Arduino Nano in a 5U panel (and with an 8-bit DAC output for CV). The USB jack is for easy programming access (we are using a standard Arduino, so all of the Arduino-based programming tools are usable for this device).

I've already written 25 different "sketches" (i.e., programs) for this module, which you can browse at:

http://20objects.com/ardcore/

The whole project is an open-source thing that I've done for my Master's thesis/project, but it is a real thing, too. I started the project because I *had* to have a drunken walk algorithm, and it just took off from there.

We are going to have the first build of 5 (or so) units next week. If this looks like something that you really have to have, drop me a PM.

Otherwise, thanks for looking! (I'll have better pictures available when the battery on my good camera gets charged up...)

fac
so
fucking
cool

I'll have to consider it very seriously.
sduck
Wow - great stuff!

I've had a few fellow local hackers suggest that I should incorporate some arduino love into my modular somehow - the assumption being that I know enough about it to do so, which I actually don't (yet). I'm going to have to take a good look at your stuff...
megaohm
Yes!

24. VCO

Can this be programed to perform like a 'bad' VCO.
You know, like chip tunes, 8bit sounds?

Crazy amount of functions!
Great job!!!

p.
darwingrosse
megaohm wrote:
Yes!

24. VCO

Can this be programed to perform like a 'bad' VCO.
You know, like chip tunes, 8bit sounds?

Crazy amount of functions!
Great job!!!

It can, although VCO capabilities are right at the edge of the Arduino's capabilities. Nevertheless, it can get pretty squeaky! It aliases like crazy, but pitch sensitivity it best at the low end of the frequency spectrum. I'm sure there are Arduino hackers out that that will be able to get it rocking even faster than I did, but I pulled all my favorite coding tricks out of the hat for this one...

(FWIW, Phil was very helpful in this process, and we owe him plenty for his help - one of the most generous guys on the planet!)
7thDanSound
This is EXACTLY what I've been wanting for the last 4-5 years! Not being an EE I've asked around a lot to see if someone would help me but to no avail. At least not cheaply. I need to get me one of these but as I'm no longer in MU land it'll need some DIY on my part, which alas, I have absolutely no time for at the moment. Oh well, I'll get there eventually.

Great work! we're not worthy
XCenter
Darwin, that´s a great project. Do I understand correctly that the Arduino is providing a digital output that still needs to be D/A converted? What shield-PCB have you used for the DAC?

BTW I´ve built a module out of the Auduino project that works quite nice for FX stuff. It does the D/A conversion on its own using PWM. A dirty little build with a lot of fun.
http://code.google.com/p/tinkerit/wiki/Auduino
Christopher Winkels
I'm gloriously ignorant of what Arduino is (I shall have to read the links Google throws up in my direction), but the video from your website link sounds fantastic.

And you look not dissimilar to Rick Wakeman. What's not to like about that?

Pencil me in as interested.
lazerkind
Great project for learning arduino.
Simple and clear code.

Any particular reason for not doing the VCO with timer interupts instead of counting microseconds?
//L
darwingrosse
lazerkind wrote:
Simple and clear code.

Any particular reason for not doing the VCO with timer interupts instead of counting microseconds?
//L

Timer interrupts have their own overhead, but it was mostly that I just decided to give this way try. Prolly not the best shot at it, and I'll have to give the timer interrupt a shot. The nice thing about it being an open-source software release is that I get to try things out and update them as better solutions are found.

Thanks for the note.
darwingrosse
lazerkind wrote:
Simple and clear code.

//L

Timer interrupts have their own overhead, but it was mostly that I just decided to give this way try. Prolly not the best shot at it, and I'll have to give the timer interrupt a shot. The nice thing about it being an open-source software release is that I get to try things out and update them as better solutions are found.

Thanks for the note.
webb
This is great news. I milled myself a boarduino (2 sided) just to work on some synth ideas I have and now you came along. Perfect!!!
dslocum
Christopher Winkels wrote:

He does actually, in Rick's not too distant youth.
dslocum
I didn't see a $$$ figure for this. I'd be interested. Please send a PM, my nemesis!
dude
the future!
darwingrosse
dslocum wrote:

This is thanks to the light shining directly into the camera. I actually look like a bear that might have recently eaten Rick Wakeman.
darwingrosse
dslocum wrote:
I didn't see a $$$ figure for this. I'd be interested. Please send a PM, my nemesis!

Mwah hah hah (nemesis voice)...

Haven't nailed down the retail price, because we aren't sure yet if we are going to get a retailer involved. Mid-to-high 200's in the end, but we are doing a special deal for MW/5U readers that order in the next two weeks.

I'll PM the details to anyone that PM's me a request.
Christopher Winkels
darwingrosse wrote:
dslocum wrote:

This is thanks to the light shining directly into the camera. I actually look like a bear that might have recently eaten Rick Wakeman.

He's not as lithe as he used to be. The expanding mid-section is a disease that afflicts most of us.

*cue the sound of violins as I stare longingly at the size 32 jeans I last fit into back in 2002*
darwingrosse
darwingrosse wrote:
dslocum wrote:

He's not as lithe as he used to be. The expanding mid-section is a disease that afflicts most of us.

*cue the sound of violins as I stare longingly at the size 32 jeans I last fit into back in 2002*

I weep uncontrollably.
nlaudadio
This is fantastic... I'm also really interested.
fac
Darwin,

I saw this on the 20Objects website:

Quote:
The variation generator, specifically created for use with the output expander...

What's this "output expander"? Please expand on the output expander.
darwingrosse
fac wrote:
Darwin,

I saw this on the 20Objects website:

Quote:
The variation generator, specifically created for use with the output expander...

What's this "output expander"? Please expand on the output expander.

It's a "virtual" module for the time being. Basically, it is planned as an expansion module that exposes the eight bits of the outputs as individual trigger/gates. Each will be switchable (on/off), and another output will make a new analog output out of the result. Think of it as manual bit crushing, or maybe as a wonderful blinky display.

The nice thing is that there is an 8-pin MTA connector that exposes those eight bits to the wind. Perfect for the DIY/hackers, but also useful for built-out modules too. One of the things I'm thinking of hacking together for myself is a 2x8 patchbay, allowing me to repatch the output bits in whatever order I want. That should make for a rather kooky LFO!
XCenter
Darwin, can you drop a word about the shield board you´ve used on the modul? Thx.
doctorvague
Very cool! I especially like this from your web site:

Quote:
- To allow programming-savvy artists to pursue synthesis options that aren't currently available (either because they are too difficult or too idiosyncratic).

- To allow for temporary-use function that are not often needed (and hence not worth the expense or space) but may be important for a specific composition.

I'm curious about the drunken walk function. Is the drunken walk the same as random walk or similar? Volta has random walk built in as an LFO choice and it's very useful and not at all the same as noise>S&H randomness. The second link is a short 1mb quicktime video I did showing Volta's random walk (actually 2 at once, a slow moving and a fast moving one) on a scope. Volta smooths the output somewhat as you can see in the video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_walk
Random Walk movie

I know zero about the Arduino. Will this module be Mac-friendly?

The ratchet-lovers will be all over this I imagine as this looks likes one of the simplest ways to that, especially in 1U of space.
fac
I am already thinking about what I could do with this board: algorithmic sequence generation, fractal sequences, VC arpeggiators, lo-fi sampling, etc. It's just too bad it only has one output, but I see that's a limitation of the arduino board.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5