Rob Hordijk 24dB MultiMode Filter demos

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Rob Hordijk 24dB MultiMode Filter demos

Post by Dave Peck » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi All,

Here are a few short demos of the Rob Hordijk 24dB MultiMode filter. A few bits of info:

Unlike most multimode filters which have one input and hipass/bandpass/lowpass outputs, it has three INPUTS (HP/BP/LP) and one mixed-mode output. The three inputs have separate level knobs, and the three input jacks are switching jacks that 'cascade' the input so if you plug a signal into only the LP input it actually routes it to all three filter bands, and you can create various filter responses by varying the three level knobs. For example, setting the LP knob to 10 and the HP knob to 7 gives you a resonant notch filter with more emphasis on the lowpass section. Nice!

This unusual set up with the three inputs also allows you to do something you just can't do on a standard multimode filter - you can patch completely different signals into the three filter bands, so sweeping the filter gives you a sort of frequency-dependent cross fading. I'll post an example in a follow-up post.

It has three frequency mod inputs, one is 1V/OCT and the other two are variable with level controls. But if you don't patch anything into the second variable input, that knob becomes a filter distortion control. Another nice feature.

It also has voltage controlled resonance, and the filter maintains a steady perceived volume level at all resonance settings.

OK, so these first two examples are just a simple sequence with a bit of syncopated delay. While the sequence runs, the filter frequency & resonance are being modulated by some LFOs, and I am manually adjusting the three HP/BP/LP level controls to show some of the different filter contours you can get. In the example "24Fseq1", I increase the distortion amount a bit at around the 30 second mark.

Both of these start off with LP only, then HP is mixed in to create a notch, then HP only, then BP, then back to LP. The LP modes at the end sound nice and punchy and organic. I like the LP mode on this filter a lot.

Unlike most multimodes which are 12dB/octave in all modes, this one is 24dB in the LP and HP modes, and the BP is actually 6dB LP + 18dB HP. I asked Rob about this and he said he did a lot of experimenting and it just sounded best. I think it sounds great!
Attachments
24Fseq1.wma
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
24Fseq3d.wma
(2.83 MiB) Downloaded 42 times

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Here's an example of what you can get when you patch different signals into the three inputs. In this patch, there is a pulse wave with PWM patched to the LP input, a sine wave from the same osc patched through a wave multiplier and then into the HP input, and a saw wave with hard-sync sweep patched into the BP input. The filter frequency & resonance is being varied by some slow LFOs and I'm doing a bit of manual adjusting with the three filter band controls as the sequncer runs. As in the previous examples, it ends with a punchy lowpass response.
Attachments
24Fseq2a.wma
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 32 times

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:43 pm

Hmm... I'm trying to attach a picture of it (a small 224kB jpeg), but the attachment doesn't show up after I hit 'submit'. What an I doing wrong?

Entrainer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Entrainer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:46 am

I just had an A-HA with this module.

I was reading Hordijk's stuff on Feedforward (instead of feedback)
he wrote in his G2 documents.

Try multing an oscillator to all the inputs, but place the Dual Phaser
in between on both the HPF's and BPF, or just the mids.

This keeps the low-end solid, and tracks. (if you patch to 1/V oct)
You can do this with any effect obviously. Chorus on the mids...
reverb on the hi... distortion into the LPF.

All from the same oscillator.
5,159 custom drum samples for electronic music
made from 4 modular systems, drum modules, and some nice analog outboard processing

202 Instruments for Ableton Live/Push (128s), NI Kontakt, and Logic EXS24
41 Kits for NI Maschine, FXPansion Geist, Ableton Drum Racks, and Octatrack Sample Chains
http://www.drivenmachinedrums.com

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:18 am

when you say mult an osc, do have a particular waveform you shoot for? maybe a wavetable? :twisted:

Entrainer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Entrainer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:55 am

dude wrote:when you say mult an osc, do have a particular waveform you shoot for? maybe a wavetable? :twisted:
Well, anything can work... but I was doing it with
the Hordijk HO, Triple Input Filter, and Dual Phaser.

As you know, the phasers tend to respond better to
higher frequency, higher harmonic waveforms.

Which was nice because the low end remained clean and tight. :love:
5,159 custom drum samples for electronic music
made from 4 modular systems, drum modules, and some nice analog outboard processing

202 Instruments for Ableton Live/Push (128s), NI Kontakt, and Logic EXS24
41 Kits for NI Maschine, FXPansion Geist, Ableton Drum Racks, and Octatrack Sample Chains
http://www.drivenmachinedrums.com

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Dave Peck wrote:Hmm... I'm trying to attach a picture of it (a small 224kB jpeg), but the attachment doesn't show up after I hit 'submit'. What an I doing wrong?
Hi Dave,
I've found the "Add An Attachment" tool here somewhat unpredictable and for pictures I always just use the "Upload picture" tool anyways, which has never given me a problem. :tu:

(Edit: great sounding samples by the way! :love: )

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Thanks! Here it is (the module in the center). I did a thread on the Phaser Filter recently and I'll start a new thread for the HRM OSC soon.

earthbound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by earthbound » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:14 am

How can I buy these? Are they Dotcom format?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:34 am

earthbound wrote:How can I buy these? Are they Dotcom format?
hi Earthbound. There is an email address somewhere for Rob H. that someone will point you too soon but, you should really take a look at decaying.sine's (Brian's) post in the Buy/Sell/Trade section here on Muff's! :tu: viewtopic.php?t=31222

Brian is a good guy and you will save some bucks on the modules he has remaining:
Dual Envelope
Dual Phaser
Triple Low Freq VCO (Triple LFO!)
Phaser Filter
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:01 am

earthbound wrote:How can I buy these? Are they Dotcom format?
Yes, they are Dotcom format. You can email Rob directly at:

rhordijk (at) xs4all (DOT) nl

Really good guy, very easy to do business with him.

emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by emdot_ambient » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:11 am

Really great demos! I've concluded that all the Hordijk modules are, well...
:bananallama: :domodance: :w00t: :rastanana: :lick:

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:43 pm

emdot_ambient wrote:Really great demos! I've concluded that all the Hordijk modules are, well...
:bananallama: :domodance: :w00t: :rastanana: :lick:
Thanks. And you are correct, but some of them are a bit more :bananallama: than others.

Return to “5U Format Modules”