MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

moog source
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author moog source
fate
I may pick one of these up in the future as a quick go to for moog sound. any opinions on how much they are selling for, or from people who have them ?
Ranxerox
It's funny - I wouldn't have figured someone into the whole noise scene would have much use for the Moog 'sound'. What will you be after next - a bit of Bernie Worrell soloing technique? hihi

I don't think the Source is anyway the most 'moogy'-sounding Moog. Generally the consensus seems to be that they sound relatively thin, with a different filter than earlier models. Have you considered the Little Phatty?

The bassline to 'Blue Monday' by New Order was apparently done on a Source. Do you have a noise cover-version in mind? The parameter-access interface might also be a bit restricting if you are into noise improv.
Christopher Winkels
A Source... thin?

hmmm.....

Having owned one though (and a Moog LP), I would agree with Ranxerox and advocate getting the LP instead. It does everything a Source does, and more. Sonically they're roughly equal in my book, but the LP does variable filter slopes and pulse width modulation.
adamf
I think using a simple monosynth for noise is about exactly that - simplicity and easy access to a certain range of bread and butter electronic sounds. Works for many noise based artists past and present no doubt. I don't think its so much about getting the "moog sound" (nothing wrong with the Moog sound though).

If you're doing the modular thing, you could also consider the many Moog clone modules available.
Ranxerox
Christopher Winkels wrote:
A Source... thin?

hmmm.....

Well, I did say relatively lol
Nelson Baboon
Isn't this rather blatantly in the wrong sub forum?
Christopher Winkels
Ranxerox wrote:
Christopher Winkels wrote:
A Source... thin?

hmmm.....

Well, I did say relatively lol

Fair enough. In that context, compared to Jedward, I'm relatively talented, musically speaking.
lilakmonoke
for a moog cheapie get the mg-1 ... i have 5 moogs and thats the best one. includes polyphonic organ.
giorgio
lilakmonoke wrote:
for a moog cheapie get the mg-1 ... i have 5 moogs and thats the best one. includes polyphonic organ.

what are your other moogs that the MG-1 is the best? I am also an MG-1 fan, and when I thinned out my moog collection from 7 or 8 down to 3, I kept an MG-1 for sure (also kept rogue and model d, rogue cause I love it live, and the model d just cause)

also the MG-1 is cool cause you can add the filter input very easily, as well as trigger it from whatever and make crazy noise kinda stuff. If you are feeding a lot of random stuff into the trigger input I suggest adding some input protection, a buffer or even a resistor, I've seen some blown opamps from going a little too wild with the CV/gate inputs
hihi
Ranxerox
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Isn't this rather blatantly in the wrong sub forum?

Some people just like to discuss Moogs wherever the moog finds them I guess.

Dead Banana
kaoss
fate wrote:
I may pick one of these up in the future as a quick go to for moog sound. any opinions on how much they are selling for, or from people who have them ?

I love mine, use it much more often than Voyager.
If you find one with Encore's MIDI mod you'll also get 256 user memory presets, SysEx program dump/load and control of filter Cutoff and Resonance via MIDI
wiresandstraps
fate wrote:

there is one selling on NY craigslist for $700.

I'd spend an extra $100 and buy a used Phatty... the overdrive on that board is especially aggressive, it has awesome midi (better than the voyager), and you won't have to worry as much about a vintage synth breaking down.
dougt
I've always found the Source to be the best mono Moog outside of the Model D. It's a bass monster. The arp which is really a step time sequencer is fun too and the spinner is great for doing hands-free parameter sweeps.
kaoss
dougt wrote:
I've always found the Source to be the best mono Moog outside of the Model D. It's a bass monster. The arp which is really a step time sequencer is fun too and the spinner is great for doing hands-free parameter sweeps.

i share this opinion. + there's something really appealing about the weighted wheel, i always end up doing all editing extremely fast

i find the Encore MIDI/memory mod super useful. in addition to what i mentioned in an earlier post it also turns the synth into a MIDI>CV/GATE interface. you lose the sequencer, but it's nothing to really care about IMO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1