MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Z. Vex Fuzz Factory
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Z. Vex Fuzz Factory
djinnwithin
I recently picked up a Fuzz Factory (dated 1999) with intentions of being able to shift from a creamy, sustained 60s sound to whacked out decays, etc. It is very noisy and seems to interfere with my other pedals even when it is off. Is this normal? If so what would be a good way to remedy this problem? Also, what are some of your favorite settings on it to get that 60s tone (think Country Joe & the Fish)?
Nuuj
As it's true bypass it should not interact with anything while off.
If it does you would likely need a new switch.
Not sure it can really do subdued fuzz, but I've never tried.
kaoss
djinnwithin wrote:
I recently picked up a Fuzz Factory (dated 1999) with intentions of being able to shift from a creamy, sustained 60s sound to whacked out decays, etc. It is very noisy and seems to interfere with my other pedals even when it is off. Is this normal? If so what would be a good way to remedy this problem? Also, what are some of your favorite settings on it to get that 60s tone (think Country Joe & the Fish)?

probably just a bad switch or cable.

FF can be very noisy at certain settings, it can even self-oscillate. if you have one of the special editions (w/o description of what ind. knobs do) you might have not noticed that one of the pots adjusts the threshold of a built-in noise gate.
rolsteins
djinnwithin wrote:

yes, as far as i can tell - FF is not very "pedal chain" friendly... :(
try to use it as first in chain. or second - just after volume pedal.
kaoss
rolsteins wrote:
yes, as far as i can tell - FF is not very "pedal chain" friendly... :(
try to use it as first in chain. or second - just after volume pedal.

+1 on this. fuzz pedals are designed to interact with guitar pickups. germanium ones like the FF are especially sensitive to this. so it's a good idea to avoid active circuits (e.g. Boss pedals) between the pickups and the fuzz
5inusoid
Also, FF are supposed to be #1 in the signal chain.
visible cow
I returned my FF due to noise problems (using no other pedals). I probably just got a lemon though. My Super Hard On was solid......I mean it worked great....I mean....
ThinLazy
The zvex pedals are pretty simple to make yourself if you're into soldering.
You can order PCBs for most models from mad beans over at freestompboxes.org.
djinnwithin
Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting rid of it. I will probably go back to a Big Muff. I had a 70s Sovtek and it was incredible. The only problem with that is no two are alike and I have never found one that has matched its amazing tomne. Should have never let that go!
Muff Wiggler
The first Sovtek Muff came out in 1991, there's no such thing as a 70's sovtek.
djinnwithin
Thanks! I had no idea. It looked old. I would give anything to have it back. It looked just like this.
Babaluma
haiku-ish on here makes amazing fuzz pedals, you could try one of his?

http://www.touellskouarn.fr/

and he can do them them as euro panels too!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32114
PrimateSynthesis
djinnwithin wrote:
Thanks! I had no idea. It looked old. I would give anything to have it back. It looked just like this.

That's a "bubble-font" green russian. Electronically it is the same as the first black ones. It's not nearly as valuable as a "tall-font" green russian, which electronically is the same as a "civil war", but in a ridiculously heavy cast-aluminum chassis (also called a "russian tank").

It shouldn't be that difficult to find what you had, in either a black or green russian. Although the green ones sell for more because they are "green russians", even though they are older and their paint tends to flake off. I never understood guitar players seriously, i just don't get it However, most of the clones are based on the civil-war/tall-font circuit, so if you only want the electronic equivalent, getting the bubble-font sound, fwiw, is actually more expensive because you have to buy an original. Or you can build one yourself.

Anyway, a Big Muff isn't going to have the same problems as a Fuzz Face/Fuzz Factory because they are less dependent on the source impedance of the input signal.
onrust nv
I realy like the Zvex mastotron, wich doesn't destroy your bas sound as other fuzzez do.
Green sovtek big muff? I realy like to get one, I've got a green sovtek smallstone, wich sounds very nice.
analoglsd
I'm not sure if I understand the "noisey" issue.
I just keep the gate almost all the way up on mine and it doesn't make a peep.
Love it.
visible cow
Well, on mine I was picking up radio stations.....it's the only pedal I've owned to do that......even in multiple locations, with different amps, guitars, cables etc. I have no doubt that mine was a lemon though.....by all accounts they are awesome.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1