MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioWiggler Radio   SearchSearch   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsBlog & News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 

OSC303 PWM mod. ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author OSC303 PWM mod. ?

echoplex

OSC303 by Din Sync is a great sounding oscillator!

The only thing I miss is the option of PWM.
Is there any modification to have the option of PWM?

I remember a thread in which somebody mentioned PWM modification on OSC303..

Dirk95100

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6389&sid=fd2299771cc4b c74e952bee72c4cc369

I think Phono is lurking here to, so if he could chip in that would be Rockin' Banana!

phono1337

Dirk95100 wrote:

I think Phono is lurking here to, so if he could chip in that would be Rockin' Banana!

im am lurking indeed, i also made the OSC303 lol

that old thread is valid since its the same resistor number, but i did post something on here more recently which is more relevant

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31693&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=15

echoplex

Oh great, that sounds simple.
Have you already tried this and built one with PWM modification?

@Paul: adapting the modification using a LED&LDR Combo (which is a vactrol) is a cool idea but vactrols are not fast! They are slow and time-lagging..
So isn't this a problem using vactrols to make a cv control?

phono1337

echoplex wrote:
Oh great, that sounds simple.
Have you already tried this and built one with PWM modification?

@Paul: adapting this using a LED&LDR Combo (which is a vactrol) is a cool idea but vactrols are not fast! They are slow and time-lagging..
So isn't this a problem using vactrols to make a cv control?

edit:@paul: the audio links it his adaffruit forums don't work anymore cry

yeah its pretty old links ive moved a lot of stuff from my webspace recently, dont think i have them anymore.

There are several ways to do it, google voltage controlled resistor for some ideas.

Kakihara

owwww nice!!! Gonna do that soon hehehe

g.

Heathfinnie

Wish I could still get one of these...

phono1337

Heathfinnie wrote:

the CCCP version will be released later this year w00t

sparks

I've got two of 'em badboys and they get more use then my other OSCs put together. Love em, by far the most Bang for the buck I put in my rack to
date.

They are pure BUTTAH SlayerBadger!

If history have thaught me anything I'll be on place 1-4 on the waitinglist for the 303VCF.

Denis Goekdag

You could use a Doepfer universal Vactrol module I guess.

Another PWM-ish sounding option is to set two OSC303 very close to eachother in frequency, then patch their pulse outputs into the input and cv input of a fast VCA like the Azimuth. The beat frequency between the two OSC303 will then kind of be your PW mod frequency.

Dirk95100

Is there also a sync mod?
Soft and hard like the system 100.)
And lin FM?

That would make it the ultimate vco for me.

Prunesquallor

phono1337 wrote:
Heathfinnie wrote:

Would you consider adding the PWM mod to that run? hyper

echoplex

Denis Goekdag wrote:
You could use a Doepfer universal Vactrol module I guess.

Another PWM-ish sounding option is to set two OSC303 very close to eachother in frequency, then patch their pulse outputs into the input and cv input of a fast VCA like the Azimuth. The beat frequency between the two OSC303 will then kind of be your PW mod frequency.

This is a great idea how to get there! Thank you..

Prunesquallor wrote:
Would you consider adding the PWM mod to that run? hyper

Nooo, then I had to sell my OSC303's or trade them for CCCP's..
But seriously folks, I think there is not even enough space on the panels to add the PWM mod on this..

acidphakist

I'm curious why someone would take an oscillator whose sole purpose is to be faithful to that of the tb-303 and "invalidate the warranty" with such an impure mod.

Knobtwister

phono1337 wrote:
Heathfinnie wrote:

Fuck yes!

echoplex

Now I bought a second OSC303 instead of doing the mod d'oh!
I know this will not sound like PWM but even fat and similar..that's my goal.
So what?! Mr. Green

miminashi

acidphakist wrote:
I'm curious why someone would take an oscillator whose sole purpose is to be faithful to that of the tb-303 and "invalidate the warranty" with such an impure mod.

I wanted to post something like this but I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade. But, yeah. I'm glad I got two of these li'l suckers.

infection

How about a CCCP with a sync in jack instead of the bus enable switch?
maybe the bus enable could be a jumper on the back?

Monobass

Bah, 'faithful' is for Taxidermists and archivists. I want to rock the acid and a PWM mod on the greatest living squarewave will tear arseholes on a shit hot PA.

(plus the published mod has a bypass switch that returns the module to virginal status)

acidphakist

Monobass wrote:
Bah, 'faithful' is for Taxidermists and archivists. I want to rock the acid and a PWM mod on the greatest living squarewave will tear arseholes on a shit hot PA.

(plus the published mod has a bypass switch that returns the module to virginal status)

I'd be wary of this. I had a virgin x0xb0x which was closer to a tb-303 than most I've used. I then had it modded with the full x0xio kit. It lost its pure 303 even though in theory it can be tuned to be 'stock'.

The only mod I trust is the Devilfish, which I purchased with some trepidation, but Robin has spent 20 years making sure you don't lose the original 303. He was successful.

As a purist, if I want PWM acid (and I sometimes do) I just use "insert oscillator here" with the Sea Devils Filter or the Devilfish.

s o l v e n t

infection wrote:
How about a CCCP with a sync in jack instead of the bus enable switch?
maybe the bus enable could be a jumper on the back?

100% agreed. i wonder if more than a handful of people would even miss the bus enable feature at all if it were to be removed.

Roland's System 100 is said to have a nearly identical VCO to the 303, and it has the best hard-sync sound of any VCO i've ever heard...

s o l v e n t

System100's PWM is also fantastic...

i love my OSC303, but as 1 VCO is the 303 sound, i can't say i'd be particularly tempted to add a CCCP unless sync and PWM were added. would adding those really affect the authenticity of the sound? what about say if there was a centre-detent position for the correct-303 PW...

i know it's true that modding an x0xb0x can change the authenticity of the sound but there are a lot more variables at play in that case, i would think

baboo

A little OT here, but has anyone had a chance to compare the OSC303 to Asol 6HP VCO directly???? I really like my Asol osc and it has PWM and I was wondering if they sound similar

echoplex

I don't think they are similar expect the size and waveform outputs..
Further the Asol VCO has PWM yeah.. I heard the Asol sounds very dry!
Whereas the OSC303 doesn't sound any dry ..

But actually I don't have a Asol VCO in my system but I given consideration to get a Asol VCO instead of a second OSC303 (my only VCO's)
So a comparison would be great thumbs up

numan7

s o l v e n t wrote:
System100's PWM is also fantastic...

i love my OSC303, but as 1 VCO is the 303 sound, i can't say i'd be particularly tempted to add a CCCP unless sync and PWM were added. would adding those really affect the authenticity of the sound? what about say if there was a centre-detent position for the correct-303 PW...

i know it's true that modding an x0xb0x can change the authenticity of the sound but there are a lot more variables at play in that case, i would think

with 2 OSC303s, it's just so very nice having the ability to sweep the tuning to control for slightly detuned 4ths, 5ths, octaves whatever.

i just installed CCCPs in my system last week. and the sound has been equivalent in the ways i've been using them so far.

i may try to perform the mods, since pwm and sync would be uber awesome to have. but just able to detune makes having a pair extremely nice! i will try to put up a comparison/combination video this weekend or early next week.... Rockin' Banana!

cheers,
n7/Richard

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2