a minimum config

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

a minimum config

Post by consumed » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:54 pm

i grabbed an empty frac and decided what i think would be close to a perfect minimal configuration:

-vco
-minwave
-dual linear vca
-microlfo
-eg
-boogie filter

along with

-mobius
-emx-1

this is what i came up with.

http://www.twango.com/channel/YouFeel.video

Last edited by consumed on Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:00 am

very nice!! that's an awesome groove you got going on there

i love the minimal idea, i'm gonna have to think about this to figure what i could get into one rack..

on a different note, do you like your electribe?

i had never really given those things a second thought, but one day ended up picking up a used ER1 for dirt cheap (right here on this forum), and i have to say that MAN i'm impressed with how much just plain raw fun that little box is. plus it's so simple my 5 year-old has learned how to use most of it, and as a result is rocking the drum machine all the time, which is pretty sweet. anyway i was surprised at how much fun was in that box for $100. makes me really wonder about the newer, more feature-rich electribes

consumed

Post by consumed » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:41 am

these videos from user denkitribe pretty much sold me on the emx1 in particular:

(give this video a few minutes, it shapes up nicely)

go check out the rest of denkitribe's videos. this guy is a wizard with most of his gear, its really inspiring.

when the first ER-1 was released, i ran out and bought it right away. i really liked it and the idea of a synthesis engine for the drums but i couldnt sync it up tightly enough to my other drumboxes so i returned it and never thought about it again. the er-1 mk2 looks interesting to me, i was thinking about picking it up. but im out of room on my desk already :)

on the emx1, it has a *really* good sound right out of the box. its not just another weedy sounding drumbox. getting the right kick for a tune is very quick.

consumed

Post by consumed » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:51 am

oh the reason for the thread:

what would you stuff into one frac case if that was your limit (anything)? (this goes back to another thread about getting started in modular)

i was unsure between 1 vco/1miniwave and 2 vcos.
i really like having the tonal selection that the miniwave provides, but it must be driven by something else.

---------------
rationale.

vco (obvious)

miniwave-
-large tonal selection.

microlfo-
-can also be used to drive the miniwave.
-can be used to FM the vco.
-will *roughly* track like an osc at Rate In

dual lin vca-
-provides final vca
-provides secondary vca for attenuation or use as an index for fm

eg-
-can be used as another lfo
-cv inputs for more dynamic sound

boogie filter-
-has two inputs
-two cv inputs (nice for both "keyboard tracking" and eg)

in a perfect world, i think an SVF like the filthy filter or the frequensteiner would be more optimal for a supercompact rig, but they both have only one input.

anyway, using just this rig made me start patching in ways i have not thought about before. for example, i split my mobius CV out three ways:
1. VCO 1v/O in
2. filter key in (tracking)
3. EG delay CV in
the eg was patched to the control in of the filter. so, the note would become brighter and the delay would become longer the higher the note. elementary, yes. then, i split my CV out again, ran it to the rate in of the lfo, and FMd the VCO with it. this gave me a sound like what you heard in the first video (not the second).

suggestions? module replacements?

consumed

Post by consumed » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:35 pm

to answer my own question, i would also consider replacing the EG with a serge VCS. disadvantage: VCS behaves as an AR generator so you lose the decay/sustain. advantages: many (crazy flexibility: vclfo, oscillator, slew limiter, etc). if the VCS could track reasonably well, maybe it would even be a good replacement for the VCO? (i havent tried this yet)

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:26 pm

That was my original plan, and still sorta is at the moment,
-Blacet VCO
-Blacet/Wiard designs Miniwave
-EG-1
-CGS/Metalbox Psycho LFO
-Blacet LFO
-Quadmix VCA

Now its like this
-Binary Zone
-Miniwave
-Psycho LFO
-EG-1

I'm going to fill the 3 empty spots with a noise ring and a Blacet LFO.
Then get a dotcom VCA,ADSR,multiple,VCO,sample&hold.

Its going to be atleast a year before I can do anything modular though :(
.......And I'm sure when the time does come I will have probly changed my mind again :lol:

I do want a VCS too, but that will have to wait untill a second frac rack is on top 8)

consumed

Post by consumed » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:25 am

interesting...so are you driving your miniwave with a metasonix vco?

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:33 pm

so are you driving your miniwave with a metasonix vco?
Oh boy dont I wish :lol:
Actually I haven't really used it the way it has been designed/intended for.

I have been using it mostly as a distortion device, as well as using the Frostwave resonator as a sine wave osc which is usually fed into the TM-1 waveshaper then into the miniwave.

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:41 pm

One thing that I really like about the Modcan Miniwave, and what might convince me to get one, is the built-in driver oscillator. I would really want to roll my own EPROM's for it, but knowing myself, I probably won't get the resources together and I'll drop the whole thing. I'm expecting the Dual LFO very soon, which features most of the functionality of the VCS. I'll certainly post some examples of it's many functions for those interested in the basic design.

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:44 am

feeresshhh vids man. the synth line was heet. i'm not usually a big fan of the constant kick thing but it was appropriate. be interested to hear what something like that would sound like with a more minimal kick configuration.
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”