MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Building a modular system, how to incorporate 2 Fracs into
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Building a modular system, how to incorporate 2 Fracs into
TWINSTATES
A Euro Rack System?

Hi All,

I know, silly idea, pain in the a$$, but I think it's possible. . .

So greetings, I am new to here and I came across the forum through doing a bit of research on a modular system I am putting together.

I hope that some of you guys might be able to give me a little advice here. .

So, the story starts with a Schipmann Ebbe und Flut filter. Lovely sound etc, then I figured that I could add a VCO and that would give me a basic modular. (the Shipmann has got filters and envelopes and distortion and a compressor and an lfo so not a bad start)

OK all fine and good, I have got a PLan B VCO on the way, Euro Rack to house it all (exept the Schipmann but that can go in the rack above with a patch bay) and a livewire AFG as 2nd oscillator.

Ill also be adding a Cwejman MX-4S Stereo-Panning-Mixer to take care of mixing duties (unless anyone else can recommend a good cv controllable mixer module??)

I will be using Volta and a couple of Motu interfaces to provide midi to CV.
I use an awful lot of automation in my music so this seemed a cost effective way, I know it's not out yet and I could be shooting myself in the foot by banking on vapour-ware but they are a pretty solid company so it hopefully wont be a problem. It also gives me tonnes of automation possibilities from Ableton. .

So, by now I seem to be on the slippery slope, been looking at a couple of other modules and I really, really like the metalbox wave multiplier and the blacet darkstar for noise.

The problem is is that they are Frac-Rack and my system is Euro.

Is there a mounting kit that will let me use say one rack for Frac and the other two for Euro, I know i need a separate power supply etc as they are different, alternatively somehting like the little doepfer mini case for Frac would be cool.

I have searched on the internet and not come up with anything. I know I could buy a Frac case but I am trying to keep costs down (as this has been a bit of an unexpected project anyway!)

Any help advice etc most gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance

TS

WDIT - I have subsequently seen that the Darkstar is discontinued (it looked like they had started produciton again but sadly not).

I have also seen on the blacet site the BR50K-0 which is a sub rack mounting kit that coupled with a power supply should do the trick to allow me to mix and match modules from the two systems, if anyone has any experience of this it would be cool to get your feedback. .

Thanks again
TWINSTATES
Hmm,

Just been doing a little more research and it seems that the Dark Star isn't available any more :(
Cybananna
yea, but they pop up used from time to time.

If you got a Euro rackmountable hounsing as opposed to the portable case, the Blacet frac racks will fit into the same 19" rack. I hope that made sense.

Anyway, so far as fit, the Doepfer rack and Blacet frac will both fit in a 19" rack. They'll play nicely together in most cases.

The power supply is the big thing, and you already understand that.

I have 3 Frac racks and 2 Doepfer portable cases. It's the best of both!

Do it! w00t
consumed
easiest would be to start up a blacet frac rack with psu (around $180)
however, you might email metalbox to see if he would be willing to provide you with a euro-compatible faceplate design.
TWINSTATES
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the heads up. Yes Blacet into a 19" sounds like a good way to go, thinking about a skb case or similar so not *too* heavy to transport if needed.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a darkstar.

By the way Hans I like history is slipping through our fingers, listening while I type this. . .
fluxmonkey
two other potential gotchas: most frac stuff is designed for 15vdc, most euro for 12. in fact many modules will function on either (and safer to run 15v modules on 12 rather than the other way around), but some will be out of spec in terms of scaling etc. second issue is, many frac modules are physically deeper than euro... for some reason, euro stuff commonly has the pcbs parallel to the panel, frac often is perpendicular, extended back as far as 7 inches or so. there are exceptions on both sides, but you probably want to check on a case-by-case (groan) basis.

but, as you say, it is a slippery slope, and if you're having fun i'd be surprised if you dont wind up w/ more frac eventually. blacet's racks are dirt cheap compared to doepfer...

b
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1