MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modular Synth Bass Processing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Modular Synth Bass Processing
Echidna
(first post)

I am a bass player, and I am interested in Processing my bass with a modular synth. any suggestions on patches?
parasitk
Welcome! I love the sound of a bass through wavefolders/shapers/multipliers, especially with an envelope follower. In the pedal world the Crowley Prunes & Custard is very much in that family of sound.
thermionicjunky
Distortion and waveshaping in general are great for bass. I like using a bass to FM an oscillator, with a foot pedal controlling the oscillator's frequency. You could silence the VCO by using an envelope follower to control a VCA. You could patch a compressor by using another VCA controlled by an inversion of the envelope. Foot and envelope-controlled filters are obvious. Playing into one input of a ring modulator with who knows what going to the other input ...
Soy Sos
Do you have or have access to any modular equipment right now?
If so what? If not are you looking to purchase gear? If so how much
can you spend? I've also processed bass through sample/bit rate reducers
and audio rate modulated filters. The above suggestions are all great.
Echidna
Soy Sos wrote:
Do you have or have access to any modular equipment right now?
If so what? If not are you looking to purchase gear? If so how much
can you spend? I've also processed bass through sample/bit rate reducers
and audio rate modulated filters. The above suggestions are all great.

I have a MOTM 22 module system.

I am curious as to how to set one of my VCAs up as a ring mod, if anyone knows, please help me out.
Kwote
you guys are not helping my bass lust. if running a bass through the modular is half as fun as running the guitar through it i may never leave the house Drugs
Babaluma
[quote="Echidna"]
Soy Sos wrote:
I am curious as to how to set one of my VCAs up as a ring mod, if anyone knows, please help me out.

just send an audio rate signal into the vca's cv in. this is in effect amplitude modulation. it sounds a lot like ring modulation, but keeps the original frequencies present. there is a way to configure true ring modulation with two vca's, i think, but i forget the patch.
Kwote
i think you just send for example a VCO's output to the CV in one VCA while simultaneously sending it to the regular VCA input. then send the original VCO's output and the ringmodded output to a mixer and back into another VCA for envelope duties, etc.

This way you can attenuate the amount of ring modulation present in the overall sound.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1