MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

octopus
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author octopus
tiny333
8)

octopus

spill the beans dude !!!!

looks fantastic....it doesnt have cv out does it?

got any pics?
droolmaster0
tiny333 wrote:
8)

octopus

spill the beans dude !!!!

looks fantastic....it doesnt have cv out does it?

got any pics?

I don't have a camera, but mine looks no different than the others...there are a bunch of pictures available, including at www.genoqs.net

There is no cv, unfortunately.
tiny333
errrrr but what is it like to work with ? do you like it?
how do you use it? is it worth the spondulicks? razz

does it give you a warm fuzzy feeling when you turn it on?

do you use it alot?

i would love a milton...cynthia used to make one but has stopped evil

how many midi hcannels can your octo run at once?

more than 8.....
droolmaster0
tiny333 wrote:
errrrr but what is it like to work with ? do you like it?
how do you use it? is it worth the spondulicks? razz

does it give you a warm fuzzy feeling when you turn it on?

do you use it alot?

i would love a milton...cynthia used to make one but has stopped evil

how many midi hcannels can your octo run at once?

more than 8.....

I'd highly recommend that you download the manual and read it....that will give you a much better idea of what it can do...

Is it worth the $? that's always really a personal decision - some people would say that no hardware step sequencer is worth that much. If you don't like the work flow, then it isn't worth that much, etc...it and the Zeit are similarly priced (though it's much easier to actually get an Octopus) - which is 'worth more'? Well, if you want a more traditional sequencing paradigm, built more along the lines of the classic analog sequencer, really easy to use and learn, etc, that would seem to be the Zeit. the Octopus is really DIFFERENT.....setting up a basic pattern is actually kind of similar to what you see in that Lemur demo posted in a different thread here. You can get a visual display of the velocities, turn on and off individual steps, etc...but then you can also get visual displays of other parameters (pitch, gate length, etc) and you can modulate them, create your own custom (quite crazy if you want it) track directions, set different # of steps per track, huge working space, ability to link tracks together for flexible song structures, very flexible modulations.....

There is quite the learning curve to it - there is no character/numerical display (other than values being indicated by the various lights), and becoming comfortable with its somewhat abstract structure takes some time.

For any of these sequencers, the # of midi channels is going to have an upper limit set by the number of independent midi out ports. In this case (similarly to the Schrittmacher, and MAPS) there are 2. If you wanted, therefore, because of the huge number of available tracks, you'd have no trouble getting 32 midi channels going.

I'd be glad to answer any specific questions you have...I'd also recommend the Sound on Sound review, though it was based on an earlier firmware version, and a lot has been added since then.
tiny333
thanks 4 the heads up

would love to see one in action one day smile

i doubt if its anything i will ever own as i dont really use midi

but i marvel at it anyway...
droolmaster0
Speaking of the Milton, the one that I bought is in this picture (this is the previous owner's stuff). This one was personally built by Peter Grenader, and has some features not found on the regular version. Of course, it is in the hands of Peter now, and who knows when I will see it. He is somewhat notorius for holding onto stuff for a very long time.

http://www.buzzclick-music.com/bryan_milton1.jpg
tiny333
wonderful

very pretty
consumed
droolmaster0 wrote:
Speaking of the Milton, the one that I bought is in this picture (this is the previous owner's stuff). This one was personally built by Peter Grenader, and has some features not found on the regular version. Of course, it is in the hands of Peter now, and who knows when I will see it. He is somewhat notorius for holding onto stuff for a very long time.

i talked to bryan about his milton a little bit, but didnt know needed to go to peter. out of curiousity, whats the matter with it?
droolmaster0
consumed wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:

i talked to bryan about his milton a little bit, but didnt know needed to go to peter. out of curiousity, whats the matter with it?

Well, don't ask me how I was this stupid....it's powered by a blacet power supply...so of course, my first official action with it was to plug in in the wrong way. Subsequently, one particular function worked half the time, and half the time it didn't. Peter thought that it makes sense that this was caused by my plugging it in the wrong way, so it went back to him.

but now he won't respond to emails, and he doesn't answer his phone, and it's getting frustrating.
shamann
That bespoke sequencer doodad you once mentioned as looming on the horizon, did it ever get made? Still looming?

And congrats to you and your family on the new little wiggler to be.
Muff Wiggler
yeah, that whole thing cratered - he got caught up in his day job and hasn't built anything in a while

:(

and thanks!! really appreciate it 8) three little wigglers will be enough though, this is it, i swear :shock: love the little monsters but don't want to go overboard....
shamann
Muff Wiggler wrote:
yeah, that whole thing cratered - he got caught up in his day job and hasn't built anything in a while

:(

(did I originally post my question in a separate thread, or am I now completely delusional?)
Muff Wiggler
hmm not that i noticed

(the other thread thing I mean... it's still quite possible that you're delusional)
shamann
Yes, quite possible it would seem. Sorry for being off topic, really I meant to have this in its own thread (at least it's all still sequencer-related).

Too bad about the custom sequencer thing, I was looking at his site a few eeks ago, such cool stuff.
Muff Wiggler
i know cry
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1