MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Trogotronic
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Trogotronic
Pockets McCoy
With my deepest apologies to Droolmaster, I present:

667 kicking a drum machine in the nuts:

http://files.idatedapyramid.com/trog/667drums.mp3

667 kicking itself in the nuts:

http://files.idatedapyramid.com/trog/667solo.mp3

667 as a signal source feeding the input of the 666, and having its nuts handed to it:

http://files.idatedapyramid.com/trog/667666.mp3

Disclaimer: those with Trogo-lust might want to stay away, unless you've got money to burn... razz

I'll try to get some demos together of it working its magic on something other than a drum machine, because as is the case with most things, distorting a drum machine is pretty "on or off" with not a whole lot of variation. What I just posted shows the range of what it can do to a hot, gated signal, but that doesn't begin to cover what it's capable of as a signal processor.

EDIT: Fixed links
ricjake
Great demos! If that ain`t enough noise for you............and for the price, I can predict W.T. will have alot of work to do hihi I haven`t even scratched the surface on my units and played with the noisey bastards for hours! You were right on about the 666......there is a bit of a learning curve. The 655 is easier to get around, I haven`t yet introduced them to other gear as of yet. And the priority shipping, wrapping, owners cards, and stickers. W.T. is first rate we're not worthy
Pockets McCoy
Yeah, in my experience, he's up there with Rex Probe as far as fantastic conversations and customer service are concerned. The owner's cards make me feel so official...

I've been wondering lately if the 655, 665, and 666 are a series of increasing complexity, or if they're completely different devices altogether. Because if they're all different, I'll need to ah...complete my set...

The 666 certainly has a steep learning curve, but really, there are few things I've enjoyed more than becoming more and more familiar with it over time, and I STILL feel like I haven't touched 80% of it's potential.

And also, once everyone's stuff starts arriving, let's hear it. I'm VERY interested in what other people will discover about them.
suboptimal
My 666 arrived a couple days ago. I'm running a drum loop I enjoy on my MD as a testing loop for distortions through it - egads, what a nasty sonuvabitch the 666 is! Not easy to tame, but easily the most intense distortion I've got in my rig. It's going to sit next to my Little Boy Blue as the beast to the LBB's beauty. And the big black box resembles something found in a space ship that landed in 1942. Awesome shit.
stin-g
Just got a 667 in the mail. Absolute screaming fucking awesomeness!
I gotta admit this is what I was really wishing for when I got the Metasonix TM-7. The TM7 still has its charms to be sure, but holy flaming shitballs of fire! The 667 is a thing of horrible beauty! I never knowed a tube could be so brutally fantastic. This thing is going to provide some very good times. Beautifully constructed, super solid and pretty as a rabid little pearl - and when you get into it the tube heats up and will burn your pink little fingers, which is hilarious (You can opt to have the tube inside the box if you are scaredy pantsed). If you're looking for subtlety look elsewhere, this thing wants to eat your music alive. Genius.
Dead Banana
DGTom
What an enjoyable website!
These look & sound like amazing devices.
droolmaster0
Absolutely love this trogotronics shit. Have 4 of them now. Contemplating a couple more down the road.
blungo2
@ Pockets. Wow! Is that first 666 clip JUST the 666?
Beautiful (in a noisy way) sounds!
I've been on the fence for a trogotronics device for some time, but now it seems essential. 8_)
Mood Organ
The 666 owns.
Pockets McCoy
Yep, all 666, with a touch of reverb. It's actually a little bit stupid how incredibly capable it is. Get one. Dead Banana
blungo2
As soon as i can i'm on one.
I'm thinking of selling all my eurorack stuff off and just go with individual noise boxes.
Pockets McCoy
Gwah! Don't go ditching the modular! It's all about the CV's! ALLLLLLLLLL about the CV's...

I may get my ass kicked for saying this, but the Trogotronic stuff really stands out to me as unique and utterly wonderful devices in a sea of boring, predictable noise boxes. In fact, (and here's where I'm really going to get it, if I'm going to get it) Trogotronic gear is about the only "noise box" equipment I'd think of as instruments rather than just noise boxes...there's SO MUCH to discover, and not in the sense of "a sweet spot here and there". Not to say, of course, that there's anything necessarily WRONG with noise boxes, they just fail to interest me. I'd encourage you to integrate whatever Trogotronics you end up with into your existing (or possibly modified, depending on you plans) modular setup if at all possible, because if you go the bunch-of-noise-boxes route, you'll end up with a handful of really interesting things and a big pile of snappy-looking boxes full of squarewave oscillators...like a Lunetta synth without the patch points. cry

I don't want to push you in a direction you don't want to go in, so take this all with a grain of salt, it's just my observations and opinions, after all. Just keep in mind that noise boxes tend not to have any kind of CV input, and you've only got 2 hands for knob-twiddling.
blungo2
Pockets McCoy wrote:
Gwah! Don't go ditching the modular! It's all about the CV's! ALLLLLLLLLL about the CV's...

I may get my ass kicked for saying this, but the Trogotronic stuff really stands out to me as unique and utterly wonderful devices in a sea of boring, predictable noise boxes. In fact, (and here's where I'm really going to get it, if I'm going to get it) Trogotronic gear is about the only "noise box" equipment I'd think of as instruments rather than just noise boxes...there's SO MUCH to discover, and not in the sense of "a sweet spot here and there". Not to say, of course, that there's anything necessarily WRONG with noise boxes, they just fail to interest me. I'd encourage you to integrate whatever Trogotronics you end up with into your existing (or possibly modified, depending on you plans) modular setup if at all possible, because if you go the bunch-of-noise-boxes route, you'll end up with a handful of really interesting things and a big pile of snappy-looking boxes full of squarewave oscillators...like a Lunetta synth without the patch points. cry

I don't want to push you in a direction you don't want to go in, so take this all with a grain of salt, it's just my observations and opinions, after all. Just keep in mind that noise boxes tend not to have any kind of CV input, and you've only got 2 hands for knob-twiddling.

I won't ditch the modular. I was just bitter because i've been having a lot of trouble with my new case. I just received a new PSU so things should be ok soon.

I do appreciate the advice. I was on the verge of ditching the euro for a couple days, but if my case works again soon, i know i'll be all gassed about the amazing new modules coming out these days. Rockin' Banana!
Control
Bill, is a very close friend of mine. His products are amazing. I have used / owed many of these units.

He just played here in Seattle tonight. It was a good time. We have been discussing many uncoming units and let's just say the test tubes are over flowing!
Mood Organ
Control wrote:
He just played here in Seattle tonight. It was a good time. We have been discussing many uncoming units and let's just say the test tubes are over flowing!

Ah, wish I had known about the show. That's good news that new designs are flowing screaming goo yo
puggle
hey, resurrecting an old thread. Just got a trogotronic m669 eurorack module. But I can't make heads or tails out of anything it does. The video online says there's a single cv control for all the oscillators, is that thrust?

I'm not even sure where to plug a sequencer in to start getting anything even vaguely resembling notes or rhythms from it. And unplugging everything and just letting it drone, its unclear what any of the controls do. Bringing them all down to nothing or 12 o'clock doesn't seem to produce anything stable. Plugging gates or notes into 'osc/gate' seems to only confuse things. Without a way to orient, how to even try to get something sensible from the noises?

Wish I could say I was getting cool crazy noises like in the videos, but I am getting a lot of zones of very little sound, and occassional knob twists produce some insanity, enough to make me think its not broken, but not in any pattern I can figure out.

Any ideas on what is going on under the hood, or what the CVs do? I figured from the videos it was three cross-normalled vcos FMing each other, each running s/h or t/h circuits, with thrust being something like a master tune or mod bus. After playing it for a while, I know that ain't the case (thrust certain has a lot of slew going on, not sure about anything else,) I'm now totally baffled. any ideas?
NARC NOISE
WT made me a bunch of re-sized faceplates for the 5 synths I currently own so they could be mounted in a eurorack case with a bunch of other pedals I gutted to work in the same fashion. This is only my 2nd post, so I will try to post some pics.
NARC NOISE
Here's an attempt at a pic

[/img]
jaegrover
NARC NOISE wrote:
Here's an attempt at a pic

[/img]

I love your setup. Awesome case - and really brilliant the way you've integrated the Stereo Field.

The Trogotronic 669 was my first-ever eurorack module, and the Stereo Field was purchased immediately afterward. Both thoroughly enjoyable, inspiring tools.
NARC NOISE
Thank you! The Trogotronic pedals were just a tad bit shy height wise to fit correctly between the rails, so I sent all the synths back to WT and he made slightly larger faceplates for all of them. The 77, Iron Cross, and 657 had their orientation changed so that everything would fit and look "stock" The Stereofield was the one that just wouldn't comply, so I figured a drawer would do the trick. I have plenty of wiring/progress pics if interested.

Also, I can't overstate how helpful/awesome/hilarious WT has been in all of my dealings with him. Great dude, great instruments......he's done other custom work for me and he even fashioned up 2 little 1hp blank panels for the far left and far right of the Trogo row, as my measurements were just a smidge off.
DickMarker
puggle wrote:
hey, resurrecting an old thread. Just got a trogotronic m669 eurorack module. But I can't make heads or tails out of anything it does. The video online says there's a single cv control for all the oscillators, is that thrust?

I'm not even sure where to plug a sequencer in to start getting anything even vaguely resembling notes or rhythms from it. And unplugging everything and just letting it drone, its unclear what any of the controls do. Bringing them all down to nothing or 12 o'clock doesn't seem to produce anything stable. Plugging gates or notes into 'osc/gate' seems to only confuse things. Without a way to orient, how to even try to get something sensible from the noises?

Wish I could say I was getting cool crazy noises like in the videos, but I am getting a lot of zones of very little sound, and occassional knob twists produce some insanity, enough to make me think its not broken, but not in any pattern I can figure out.

Any ideas on what is going on under the hood, or what the CVs do? I figured from the videos it was three cross-normalled vcos FMing each other, each running s/h or t/h circuits, with thrust being something like a master tune or mod bus. After playing it for a while, I know that ain't the case (thrust certain has a lot of slew going on, not sure about anything else,) I'm now totally baffled. any ideas?

I've got a M676, one of the earlier tube oscillators - my only advice is to not expect his noise machines to behave in the same way that a bog-standard oscillator might to CV - you won't get 1v/Oct etc. Not much help I realise.

I don't mean this as a criticism of Trogotronics but it seems to me that his stuff is built to give very simple, perhaps even unsophisticated, but extreme reactions to CV (the stronger, the better). I have made some great stuff with his modules but it does involve a lot of patiently finding out what other gear works well with it. I got the best results using his M11 VCA/CV generators and the discontinued M333.
jaegrover
For those interested, I've cobbled together a quick demo of the 669 running in Nul mode, with an explanation of some of the things I've learned from my initial forays with the device. I'm by no means an expert, but hope this will be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2EWTo1d6u0
booyaldy
I am waiting for a M679 to arrive. Does anybody own one? I'm wondering if this kind of thing would be good when connected to a drum machine, and if it is possible to do anything with aside from synth noise.
booyaldy
Can't wait to get this tomorrow. Now I just need a case for all my boxes.
ch@mberpain
Nice demo jaegrover! I’d love to see more like this with this module.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3