MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Trogotronic
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Author Trogotronic
housepig
booyaldy wrote:
I am waiting for a M679 to arrive. Does anybody own one? I'm wondering if this kind of thing would be good when connected to a drum machine, and if it is possible to do anything with aside from synth noise.

Hard to say - "good" depends entirely on what your expectations / tastes are, and what you're trying to achieve.

As others have said in this thread, the 669 (like the 666's before them) aren't linear, they're fiddly, they have dead zones and combinations that don't put out anything logical. It's a process (and a challenge!) to figure out what external gear will play nice with them. I find myself using very little external control or input with it, more dialing in an output I like and then bringing it in to the mix with a VCA or mixer. YMMV.
booyaldy
Which VCA do you or can you recommend for the 679? . I'm wondering if it would work with a Grenadier RA-9. If I knew what I was doing I would get a small rack.
housepig
booyaldy wrote:
Which VCA do you or can you recommend for the 679? . I'm wondering if it would work with a Grenadier RA-9. If I knew what I was doing I would get a small rack.

Sorry for the slow reply. I'm using it with a Trogotronic M/16 Multiplex, triggered either with momentary switches (homemade foot switch box or a handheld switch box with mercury tilt switches) or by piezo or audio signals into an M/12 Detektor feeding the M/16.

But mainly because that's what I have to work with - I would think any VCA would work.
Bataserpa
Because we are talking about Trogotronic gear I have a question, if somebody can help:

I have the tabletop/standalone version of 666, the module version is similar in sounds and controllers (except the cv)?

I am asking this question because I have both versions of the 4ms noise swash (standalone and module), and somehow the standalone version is much more controllable and sounds better (to me) than the eurorack. They are different.

If the 666 version are similars I am thinking to hunt an used module. Have all mounted inside the case is better than carry stuffs separately when is time to play In somewhere. I already have pedals that I need to bring for concerts, “reduce” gear makes my live easier in this situation.

Thanks
TRUE DEEP
Bataserpa wrote:
I have the tabletop/standalone version of 666, the module version is similar in sounds and controllers (except the cv)?

I bought the m666 module after playing with the pedal and i think that the pedal version was beter.
housepig
Bataserpa wrote:

I am asking this question because I have both versions of the 4ms noise swash (standalone and module), and somehow the standalone version is much more controllable and sounds better (to me) than the eurorack.

Personally, I found my 666 experience to be the opposite - my bandmate has the tabletop model, I have an early blackface modular model and a later red version, and I find it easier to work with the modular versions. Sound is different, but I wouldn't say that either format is better.

Plus, you get the advantages you listed - it's reducing the amount of discrete hardware you have to carry, it's integrated into your system, etc etc. I've got a tabletop 655 and I find myself using the modular gear more regularly, because it's all there with the rest of my system. YMMV.
PapaLazarou
Bataserpa wrote:

I am asking this question because I have both versions of the 4ms noise swash (standalone and module), and somehow the standalone version is much more controllable and sounds better (to me) than the eurorack. They are different.

interesting - my experience was the opposite. Loved the standalone but having 18-30 turns, whatever it is, on the swash knob of the modular version.... we're not worthy Dead Banana screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! not to mention the CV ins/outs (i had the big swash, but not the CV version of the pedal).

to be fair though, the desktop did feel a bit easier to get dialed in/become intimate with...although it did also feel like there was more dead space among settings than in the euro version.
xthrasherx
I have the 666 module, never tried the tabletop version. It is an interesting beast and I’m probably not using it enough / spending enough time with it, but it goes in and out of my main case depending on mood. In general I avoid external units from any manufacturer not for any particular reason other than modular is the environment I prefer to create in and I have limited desk space overall. There are some notable exceptions, but if it doesn’t play well with the modular world, it simply doesn’t get used.
sexcomputer
not to deviate too far off the 666/669 direction i find myself a little smitten with the m11 VCAs, anyone have any experience with them? any specific characteristics or are they more of a practical utility?
housepig
sexcomputer wrote:
not to deviate too far off the 666/669 direction i find myself a little smitten with the m11 VCAs, anyone have any experience with them? any specific characteristics or are they more of a practical utility?

Pretty solidly practical - nice functionality to have in my system, to be able to throw a quick manually triggered CV somewhere. The button action is very nice, it has a good tactile feel. I'll probably pick up a couple more in kit form when I next order from Trogo.
mmelnick
I wish Trogo would make a new module for 2019
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Page 3 of 3