MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Trogotronic
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author Trogotronic
Pockets McCoy
Don't know if this fits here because it's somewhat questionable what actually constitutes a synth, but I think these are close enough, so here I go:

Anyone seen or heard or played with any Trogotronic products? It's Nelson from Man is the Bastard/Bastard Noise/Geronimo (by the way, TOTALLY check out Geronimo, and the others...Man is the Bastard might not be so up the alley of some of the folks here, but I digress...) making available to the public the wonderfully strange devices he builds and uses in his various bands. I got my 666 and 667 in the mail a few days ago (see trogotronic.com for not-very-clear info but a few sound samples and pictures), and I've literally spent the last 3 days holed up in front of an amplifier playing with them. If anyone has any interest, I can put up some sound samples once I remember to record some, because the samples on his site really don't do them justice.

Anyhow, if anyone's got a few hundred bucks they've got nothing to do with, these are a LOT of fun, despite their not-really-modular-ness, although you can patch the circuit into a million different paths by flipping/twisting switches. They could be uses as a really weird, really violent signal source in a modular though, and if you called and asked him, I'm sure he'd at least be willing to consider building a rackmount version with a few CV-ins or something if you're bent on modular interfacing to the max. Nevertheless, as far as noise-producing devices go, these are easily some of the finest I've seen. They're the first things I've ever used that I can say are truly unpredictable, and they definitely make noises I've never, ever heard before, especially when run into one another.

I think part of the unpredictability factor is the un-labeledness of the controls...they come with instruction sheets, but they just make everything sound more mysterious...the control labels on the 666, I believe, are "Preamp 1 Electron Port, Preamp 2 Electron Port, Overdrive, Oscillator 1, Oscillator 2, Threshold, Master Drive, Preamp 1 Electron Patch, Preamp 2 Electron Patch, Drive Shift, Ocillator Patch, Preamp Patch, and Power/Threshold Patch". None of them do quite what you'd expect.

I think I may have to render myself completely asexual, because I'm in love with these horrible metal boxes...
Roycie Roller
I've been interested in getting one of these for a while- they look & sound excellent. I agree that they would make great sound-source modules, even without cv control & just one audio output.
I'd be up for hearing some audio of what you're doing with them for sure! w00t
Kent
Pockets McCoy wrote:
If anyone has any interest, I can put up some sound samples...

Seriously? Is this a joke? hihi

80% of this forum's raison d'être is for sound samples of kewl stuff! Bring it forth, my good man!!!

User Samples usually tend to be better than the website demos. Rock it!

SlayerBadger!
Pockets McCoy
Eh, one never knows what folks are into. Just testing the waters I suppose. At least now I know I should totally be hanging around here.

Anyhow, the family left the house today so I could sit around making a racket without complaints. These are clips of a hastily-recorded-on-the-built-in-microphone-of-my-macbook half hour stretch of noodling around with the 666 run into the 667 for extra menace. Those clicking sounds every so often are switches being flipped, not anything the things are generating. Also, the last sample was the somewhat uneventful result of plugging a bass into the input on the 666...not like you'd really be able to tell. Also, fair warning, the 12th one has a tiny spurt of intensely louder-than-everything-esle harsh fizz thanks to a brief volume knob mishap, so watch out if you're listening to these on high volume (recommended, by the way razz )

Anyhow, so I don't have to copy a million links, all the samples are at files.idatedapyramid.com/Muffwiggler (can't get it to make a link for some reason) and none of them should take long to load.

I'll probably put more up over time...I'm still in that "don't know what I'm doing but I'll be damned if I'm not having the time of my life" phase at this point. Maybe one day I'll understand these things.

Enjoy.
Kent
Nice. Thanks for the upload. I'm downloading the set as I type. Hopefully they'll sound decent enough with the computer microphone. Nonetheless, it should all be good fun.
SoundPool
check out 2673 from NJ. he uses a lot of trogo gear. he has a split with Unicorn, did a split LP with Kevin Drumm that is well worth it if you can find a copy, and a bunch of other stuff.
last time we toured together he had one of the rebuilt heathkit units and the 655 I think it was.
that heathkit synth SCREAMS! gets some cool effects but when it drops into a really hot audio range it will blast out of nowhere. we fried a PA the first night of the tour because nobody was watching the main board. Kevin told me that Nelson told him to never run it straight into a computer soundcard or it will just fry it haha

Kevin and myself are gonna be playing a few east coast shows along with King Darves in April. come check out our funny noise boxes.
Cybananna
I'm looking forward to checking out the samples too. I'll have some time this weekend.
Pockets McCoy
SoundPool wrote:
check out 2673 from NJ. he uses a lot of trogo gear. he has a split with Unicorn, did a split LP with Kevin Drumm that is well worth it if you can find a copy, and a bunch of other stuff.
last time we toured together he had one of the rebuilt heathkit units and the 655 I think it was.
that heathkit synth SCREAMS! gets some cool effects but when it drops into a really hot audio range it will blast out of nowhere. we fried a PA the first night of the tour because nobody was watching the main board. Kevin told me that Nelson told him to never run it straight into a computer soundcard or it will just fry it haha

Kevin and myself are gonna be playing a few east coast shows along with King Darves in April. come check out our funny noise boxes.

Got any links to any info/sounds on 2673? I'm always interested in new noise, and hugely interested in seeing what others are doing with these er...fine instruments. I found an old Heathkit AG-10 that's getting shipped off to Nelson for some surgery when he gets back from Japan, so after that I'll be fucking up sound systems all over the place, I guess Smacked in the head with a trout.

Any chance any of those shows you're playing would dip down as far as anywhere near New Orleans?
Oscilloclast
I'd been drooling over the Trogotronic stuff for 3-4 years before I finally broke down and bought the 666 when it came out. Its definitely loads of fun and if you got a big amp its bone rattling. The more you explore it the more you will find, it's no one trick pony.

Nelson's solo project is "Unicorn" and if you haven't checked it out I definitely would (he sells all of the CDs on the Thumprint press website). The thing I like about his stuff is that he can get really noisy if he wants to but there is also a lot of dynamics in the pieces.

The new Bastard Noise CD "Rogue Astronaute" is amazing and it sounds like its all trogotronic stuff.

Other noisy devices I really like include the 4mspedals "noise swash". You can get the board from their web site and its another one of those devices that has lots of knobs that interact in weird ways. Its sold as a distortion pedal but it self resonates and I've always used it as a stand alone device. They also have the "atoner" and a messed up octaver that look pretty interesting (although I have yet to build either one).

Probably the noisiest/ most unpredictable/weirdest thing I have is the Fourses (and Fyrall) from Ciate Lonbarde (Peter B). If you have never seen this guys stuff you definitely need to take a look! (www.ciat-lonbarde.net) The fourses was was never really described as a noise device but this thing just screams (it can be wired in a million different ways so it never sounds the same twice).

I also really like the stuff Tom Bugs has been making (Weevils etc.). Check his stuff out at www.bugbrand.co.uk.

Anyways, if anyone else has any good recommendations for noise devices (especially kits or things you can build - cheap is good) I'd like to hear about it. I also have three Plague Bearers I have to wire up so I'm into the modular stuff also (I'm trying really hard to get away from the clinical predictability inherent in the modular synth).
HexEnduction
Pockets McCoy wrote:
It's Nelson from Man is the Bastard/Bastard Noise/Geronimo (by the way, TOTALLY check out Geronimo, and the others...Man is the Bastard might not be so up the alley of some of the folks here, but I digress...)

I second the Geronimo recomendation, incredible record. The Sleestak record is really great too, basically early Geronimo line-up.

I have one of the Trogotronic 655 boxes and it's really awesome...best possible way to spend 150.oo although if I could do it again I would have ordered it with the CV options. The sounds that come out of it are unreal. It really destroys bass frequencies and can probably create minor tectonic shifts when combined with Metasonix boxes.
Pockets McCoy
So, after months of exploring, I'm finding myself able to have a reasonably accurate idea of what's going to happen when I tweak anything most of the time. That being said, it's still an adventure every time...some of the controls can be ridiculously, deliciously touchy. There are times when I'll have my finger on a knob, and a tiny shift from me removing said finger will sometimes drastically warp the sound into something new and different. I've never, ever, in my entire life had more fun with any one single device.

And so, I present to you, my slightly masochistic audience, two exceedingly long but fairly well-informed forays into the ceaselessly tasty realm of analog artifacts:

http://files.idatedapyramid.com/trog

The first one is 40-something minutes of the 666 with a bit of reverb, the second is 20-something minutes of the 666 run through the 667, also with a bit of reverb. This time the recordings were done by running everything directly into a recorder, so it actually sounds presentable. None of that hastily-mic'd foolishness on this go.

Feel free to skip around, but if you just put them on in the background and do something, the really interesting bits will probably pop out at you. Unless you're me, or as weird as me, and can appreciate long-ish stretches of miniscule timbral warblings that these things churn out with no encouragement. The sound is never static, even when it seems like it is, and there's always a little bit more going on than you think, and that's one of the main reasons I'm so foolishly in love with them.

Lotsa Love Lotsa Love Lotsa Love Lotsa Love screaming goo yo screaming goo yo Dead Banana
KNYST
There's a various artists compilation CD featuring Trogotronic gear:
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Analog-Audio-Ordnance-The-Trogotronic-C ompilation/release/1320325
Mr. Sound Boy King
Quick q. for you Trogotronic users:

Do the tabletop (non-stomp) models have any kind of 'mute' capacity beyond turning down the volume knob?
Pockets McCoy
Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:

Do the tabletop (non-stomp) models have any kind of 'mute' capacity beyond turning down the volume knob?

Not that I know of...the 666 has a knob that will mute everything in its lowest setting, but I'm 99% sure that's because it actually cuts power to the unit, and using that as a mute function will cause it to behave differently than if its left to run freely and muted by some other means. Then again, that different behavior can be pretty nifty, but you'd have problems interrupting cycles and whatnot, and I've definitely had a few situations where I had it doing one thing, cut the power on and off, and when it came back on it was doing something different. (Incidentally, that's one of my favorite things about them...its behavior isn't necessarily dependent on the positions of the knobs alone, but also how you got the knobs into the positions they're in. Everything tends to affect everything else on some level.) You could always just build a simple little box with a switch in it (or a few switches, to make it a bit more worth your while, and be able to mute more than just the Trogotronic), or just call Nelson and ask him to add a mute switch...he seems to be pretty accommodating, and it's certainly not a complicated addition.
droolmaster0
Damn - I just love the sounds coming out of that 666. I'm about to place an order with him for 3 or possibly 4 of his devices. I sold some stuff, and so, what the hell. Definite are the 666, the Destroyer, and then a souped up Iron Cross CV.
suboptimal
Why did I just order a 666?

I'll tell you: because of this thread. You bastards. screaming goo yo
Pockets McCoy
Hooray! I'm a bad influence! w00t

Get drunk! Have reckless sex! Kick a cop in the nuts! Hoo-hah!
Mr. Sound Boy King
Pockets McCoy wrote:
Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:

Not that I know of...the 666 has a knob that will mute everything in its lowest setting, but I'm 99% sure that's because it actually cuts power to the unit, and using that as a mute function will cause it to behave differently than if its left to run freely and muted by some other means. Then again, that different behavior can be pretty nifty, but you'd have problems interrupting cycles and whatnot, and I've definitely had a few situations where I had it doing one thing, cut the power on and off, and when it came back on it was doing something different. (Incidentally, that's one of my favorite things about them...its behavior isn't necessarily dependent on the positions of the knobs alone, but also how you got the knobs into the positions they're in. Everything tends to affect everything else on some level.) You could always just build a simple little box with a switch in it (or a few switches, to make it a bit more worth your while, and be able to mute more than just the Trogotronic), or just call Nelson and ask him to add a mute switch...he seems to be pretty accommodating, and it's certainly not a complicated addition.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply! I'm always attracted to gear which appears to have some chaotic qualities ---
ricjake
Just recieved my 666 and 655 with dual cv imputs. It took Nelson a little longer because I wanted the 655 with a metal box. First impressions UNFREAKIN BELIVEABLE! W.T. Nelson is amazing to talk too....a poet, very laid back and some of the writings and conversations....Well, You just have to speak with him and find out yourselves. Don`t be scared order one now! So much potential in these two boxes! Here`s to Pockets McCoy for convincing me Guinness ftw! I`m one happy guy right now!

Cybananna
anyone use any of the tube stuff? I'm real interested in the Barbarian and the Monster.
Pockets McCoy
The Monster's fairly ridiculous...it may be my favorite way to distort things at the moment. Its strong suit is definitely processing over generation, though it can definitely make its own noises. Hang on a bit, I'll take any excuse to play with it. Expect a demo in a few hours...
droolmaster0
I placed my order with W. T. Nelson for 4 of his devices (655 with 2 banana cv inputs, 666, destroyer, and 665.) He is very fun to talk to, and obviously really enjoys talking with customers, and making these things for them. I'll definitely post about these when I get them - sounds like it will be a few weeks. I sold some stuff that I wasn't using much to get these, so there will be tremendous net gain + distortion.
HexEnduction
ricjake wrote:
Just recieved my 666 and 655 with dual cv imputs. It took Nelson a little longer because I wanted the 655 with a metal box.

You made the right call by having him put the CV ins on that 655...really wish I had done that as well. The metal casing makes it look sharp too! Have fun! w00t
droolmaster0
Pockets McCoy wrote:
The Monster's fairly ridiculous...it may be my favorite way to distort things at the moment. Its strong suit is definitely processing over generation, though it can definitely make its own noises. Hang on a bit, I'll take any excuse to play with it. Expect a demo in a few hours...

Please. No more demos. I cannot be tempted by another one of these.
Cybananna
Pockets McCoy wrote:

that would be great. looking forward to it. we're not worthy
Pockets McCoy
With my deepest apologies to Droolmaster, I present:

667 kicking a drum machine in the nuts:

http://files.idatedapyramid.com/trog/667drums.mp3

667 kicking itself in the nuts:

http://files.idatedapyramid.com/trog/667solo.mp3

667 as a signal source feeding the input of the 666, and having its nuts handed to it:

http://files.idatedapyramid.com/trog/667666.mp3

Disclaimer: those with Trogo-lust might want to stay away, unless you've got money to burn... razz

I'll try to get some demos together of it working its magic on something other than a drum machine, because as is the case with most things, distorting a drum machine is pretty "on or off" with not a whole lot of variation. What I just posted shows the range of what it can do to a hot, gated signal, but that doesn't begin to cover what it's capable of as a signal processor.

EDIT: Fixed links
ricjake
Great demos! If that ain`t enough noise for you............and for the price, I can predict W.T. will have alot of work to do hihi I haven`t even scratched the surface on my units and played with the noisey bastards for hours! You were right on about the 666......there is a bit of a learning curve. The 655 is easier to get around, I haven`t yet introduced them to other gear as of yet. And the priority shipping, wrapping, owners cards, and stickers. W.T. is first rate we're not worthy
Pockets McCoy
Yeah, in my experience, he's up there with Rex Probe as far as fantastic conversations and customer service are concerned. The owner's cards make me feel so official...

I've been wondering lately if the 655, 665, and 666 are a series of increasing complexity, or if they're completely different devices altogether. Because if they're all different, I'll need to ah...complete my set...

The 666 certainly has a steep learning curve, but really, there are few things I've enjoyed more than becoming more and more familiar with it over time, and I STILL feel like I haven't touched 80% of it's potential.

And also, once everyone's stuff starts arriving, let's hear it. I'm VERY interested in what other people will discover about them.
suboptimal
My 666 arrived a couple days ago. I'm running a drum loop I enjoy on my MD as a testing loop for distortions through it - egads, what a nasty sonuvabitch the 666 is! Not easy to tame, but easily the most intense distortion I've got in my rig. It's going to sit next to my Little Boy Blue as the beast to the LBB's beauty. And the big black box resembles something found in a space ship that landed in 1942. Awesome shit.
stin-g
Just got a 667 in the mail. Absolute screaming fucking awesomeness!
I gotta admit this is what I was really wishing for when I got the Metasonix TM-7. The TM7 still has its charms to be sure, but holy flaming shitballs of fire! The 667 is a thing of horrible beauty! I never knowed a tube could be so brutally fantastic. This thing is going to provide some very good times. Beautifully constructed, super solid and pretty as a rabid little pearl - and when you get into it the tube heats up and will burn your pink little fingers, which is hilarious (You can opt to have the tube inside the box if you are scaredy pantsed). If you're looking for subtlety look elsewhere, this thing wants to eat your music alive. Genius.
Dead Banana
DGTom
What an enjoyable website!
These look & sound like amazing devices.
droolmaster0
Absolutely love this trogotronics shit. Have 4 of them now. Contemplating a couple more down the road.
blungo2
@ Pockets. Wow! Is that first 666 clip JUST the 666?
Beautiful (in a noisy way) sounds!
I've been on the fence for a trogotronics device for some time, but now it seems essential. 8_)
Mood Organ
The 666 owns.
Pockets McCoy
Yep, all 666, with a touch of reverb. It's actually a little bit stupid how incredibly capable it is. Get one. Dead Banana
blungo2
As soon as i can i'm on one.
I'm thinking of selling all my eurorack stuff off and just go with individual noise boxes.
Pockets McCoy
Gwah! Don't go ditching the modular! It's all about the CV's! ALLLLLLLLLL about the CV's...

I may get my ass kicked for saying this, but the Trogotronic stuff really stands out to me as unique and utterly wonderful devices in a sea of boring, predictable noise boxes. In fact, (and here's where I'm really going to get it, if I'm going to get it) Trogotronic gear is about the only "noise box" equipment I'd think of as instruments rather than just noise boxes...there's SO MUCH to discover, and not in the sense of "a sweet spot here and there". Not to say, of course, that there's anything necessarily WRONG with noise boxes, they just fail to interest me. I'd encourage you to integrate whatever Trogotronics you end up with into your existing (or possibly modified, depending on you plans) modular setup if at all possible, because if you go the bunch-of-noise-boxes route, you'll end up with a handful of really interesting things and a big pile of snappy-looking boxes full of squarewave oscillators...like a Lunetta synth without the patch points. cry

I don't want to push you in a direction you don't want to go in, so take this all with a grain of salt, it's just my observations and opinions, after all. Just keep in mind that noise boxes tend not to have any kind of CV input, and you've only got 2 hands for knob-twiddling.
blungo2
Pockets McCoy wrote:
Gwah! Don't go ditching the modular! It's all about the CV's! ALLLLLLLLLL about the CV's...

I may get my ass kicked for saying this, but the Trogotronic stuff really stands out to me as unique and utterly wonderful devices in a sea of boring, predictable noise boxes. In fact, (and here's where I'm really going to get it, if I'm going to get it) Trogotronic gear is about the only "noise box" equipment I'd think of as instruments rather than just noise boxes...there's SO MUCH to discover, and not in the sense of "a sweet spot here and there". Not to say, of course, that there's anything necessarily WRONG with noise boxes, they just fail to interest me. I'd encourage you to integrate whatever Trogotronics you end up with into your existing (or possibly modified, depending on you plans) modular setup if at all possible, because if you go the bunch-of-noise-boxes route, you'll end up with a handful of really interesting things and a big pile of snappy-looking boxes full of squarewave oscillators...like a Lunetta synth without the patch points. cry

I don't want to push you in a direction you don't want to go in, so take this all with a grain of salt, it's just my observations and opinions, after all. Just keep in mind that noise boxes tend not to have any kind of CV input, and you've only got 2 hands for knob-twiddling.

I won't ditch the modular. I was just bitter because i've been having a lot of trouble with my new case. I just received a new PSU so things should be ok soon.

I do appreciate the advice. I was on the verge of ditching the euro for a couple days, but if my case works again soon, i know i'll be all gassed about the amazing new modules coming out these days. Rockin' Banana!
Control
Bill, is a very close friend of mine. His products are amazing. I have used / owed many of these units.

He just played here in Seattle tonight. It was a good time. We have been discussing many uncoming units and let's just say the test tubes are over flowing!
Mood Organ
Control wrote:
He just played here in Seattle tonight. It was a good time. We have been discussing many uncoming units and let's just say the test tubes are over flowing!

Ah, wish I had known about the show. That's good news that new designs are flowing screaming goo yo
puggle
hey, resurrecting an old thread. Just got a trogotronic m669 eurorack module. But I can't make heads or tails out of anything it does. The video online says there's a single cv control for all the oscillators, is that thrust?

I'm not even sure where to plug a sequencer in to start getting anything even vaguely resembling notes or rhythms from it. And unplugging everything and just letting it drone, its unclear what any of the controls do. Bringing them all down to nothing or 12 o'clock doesn't seem to produce anything stable. Plugging gates or notes into 'osc/gate' seems to only confuse things. Without a way to orient, how to even try to get something sensible from the noises?

Wish I could say I was getting cool crazy noises like in the videos, but I am getting a lot of zones of very little sound, and occassional knob twists produce some insanity, enough to make me think its not broken, but not in any pattern I can figure out.

Any ideas on what is going on under the hood, or what the CVs do? I figured from the videos it was three cross-normalled vcos FMing each other, each running s/h or t/h circuits, with thrust being something like a master tune or mod bus. After playing it for a while, I know that ain't the case (thrust certain has a lot of slew going on, not sure about anything else,) I'm now totally baffled. any ideas?
NARC NOISE
WT made me a bunch of re-sized faceplates for the 5 synths I currently own so they could be mounted in a eurorack case with a bunch of other pedals I gutted to work in the same fashion. This is only my 2nd post, so I will try to post some pics.
NARC NOISE
Here's an attempt at a pic

[/img]
jaegrover
NARC NOISE wrote:
Here's an attempt at a pic

[/img]

I love your setup. Awesome case - and really brilliant the way you've integrated the Stereo Field.

The Trogotronic 669 was my first-ever eurorack module, and the Stereo Field was purchased immediately afterward. Both thoroughly enjoyable, inspiring tools.
NARC NOISE
Thank you! The Trogotronic pedals were just a tad bit shy height wise to fit correctly between the rails, so I sent all the synths back to WT and he made slightly larger faceplates for all of them. The 77, Iron Cross, and 657 had their orientation changed so that everything would fit and look "stock" The Stereofield was the one that just wouldn't comply, so I figured a drawer would do the trick. I have plenty of wiring/progress pics if interested.

Also, I can't overstate how helpful/awesome/hilarious WT has been in all of my dealings with him. Great dude, great instruments......he's done other custom work for me and he even fashioned up 2 little 1hp blank panels for the far left and far right of the Trogo row, as my measurements were just a smidge off.
DickMarker
puggle wrote:
hey, resurrecting an old thread. Just got a trogotronic m669 eurorack module. But I can't make heads or tails out of anything it does. The video online says there's a single cv control for all the oscillators, is that thrust?

I'm not even sure where to plug a sequencer in to start getting anything even vaguely resembling notes or rhythms from it. And unplugging everything and just letting it drone, its unclear what any of the controls do. Bringing them all down to nothing or 12 o'clock doesn't seem to produce anything stable. Plugging gates or notes into 'osc/gate' seems to only confuse things. Without a way to orient, how to even try to get something sensible from the noises?

Wish I could say I was getting cool crazy noises like in the videos, but I am getting a lot of zones of very little sound, and occassional knob twists produce some insanity, enough to make me think its not broken, but not in any pattern I can figure out.

Any ideas on what is going on under the hood, or what the CVs do? I figured from the videos it was three cross-normalled vcos FMing each other, each running s/h or t/h circuits, with thrust being something like a master tune or mod bus. After playing it for a while, I know that ain't the case (thrust certain has a lot of slew going on, not sure about anything else,) I'm now totally baffled. any ideas?

I've got a M676, one of the earlier tube oscillators - my only advice is to not expect his noise machines to behave in the same way that a bog-standard oscillator might to CV - you won't get 1v/Oct etc. Not much help I realise.

I don't mean this as a criticism of Trogotronics but it seems to me that his stuff is built to give very simple, perhaps even unsophisticated, but extreme reactions to CV (the stronger, the better). I have made some great stuff with his modules but it does involve a lot of patiently finding out what other gear works well with it. I got the best results using his M11 VCA/CV generators and the discontinued M333.
jaegrover
For those interested, I've cobbled together a quick demo of the 669 running in Nul mode, with an explanation of some of the things I've learned from my initial forays with the device. I'm by no means an expert, but hope this will be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2EWTo1d6u0
booyaldy
I am waiting for a M679 to arrive. Does anybody own one? I'm wondering if this kind of thing would be good when connected to a drum machine, and if it is possible to do anything with aside from synth noise.
booyaldy
Can't wait to get this tomorrow. Now I just need a case for all my boxes.
ch@mberpain
Nice demo jaegrover! I’d love to see more like this with this module.
housepig
booyaldy wrote:
I am waiting for a M679 to arrive. Does anybody own one? I'm wondering if this kind of thing would be good when connected to a drum machine, and if it is possible to do anything with aside from synth noise.

Hard to say - "good" depends entirely on what your expectations / tastes are, and what you're trying to achieve.

As others have said in this thread, the 669 (like the 666's before them) aren't linear, they're fiddly, they have dead zones and combinations that don't put out anything logical. It's a process (and a challenge!) to figure out what external gear will play nice with them. I find myself using very little external control or input with it, more dialing in an output I like and then bringing it in to the mix with a VCA or mixer. YMMV.
booyaldy
Which VCA do you or can you recommend for the 679? . I'm wondering if it would work with a Grenadier RA-9. If I knew what I was doing I would get a small rack.
housepig
booyaldy wrote:
Which VCA do you or can you recommend for the 679? . I'm wondering if it would work with a Grenadier RA-9. If I knew what I was doing I would get a small rack.

Sorry for the slow reply. I'm using it with a Trogotronic M/16 Multiplex, triggered either with momentary switches (homemade foot switch box or a handheld switch box with mercury tilt switches) or by piezo or audio signals into an M/12 Detektor feeding the M/16.

But mainly because that's what I have to work with - I would think any VCA would work.
Bataserpa
Because we are talking about Trogotronic gear I have a question, if somebody can help:

I have the tabletop/standalone version of 666, the module version is similar in sounds and controllers (except the cv)?

I am asking this question because I have both versions of the 4ms noise swash (standalone and module), and somehow the standalone version is much more controllable and sounds better (to me) than the eurorack. They are different.

If the 666 version are similars I am thinking to hunt an used module. Have all mounted inside the case is better than carry stuffs separately when is time to play In somewhere. I already have pedals that I need to bring for concerts, “reduce” gear makes my live easier in this situation.

Thanks
TRUE DEEP
Bataserpa wrote:
I have the tabletop/standalone version of 666, the module version is similar in sounds and controllers (except the cv)?

I bought the m666 module after playing with the pedal and i think that the pedal version was beter.
housepig
Bataserpa wrote:

I am asking this question because I have both versions of the 4ms noise swash (standalone and module), and somehow the standalone version is much more controllable and sounds better (to me) than the eurorack.

Personally, I found my 666 experience to be the opposite - my bandmate has the tabletop model, I have an early blackface modular model and a later red version, and I find it easier to work with the modular versions. Sound is different, but I wouldn't say that either format is better.

Plus, you get the advantages you listed - it's reducing the amount of discrete hardware you have to carry, it's integrated into your system, etc etc. I've got a tabletop 655 and I find myself using the modular gear more regularly, because it's all there with the rest of my system. YMMV.
PapaLazarou
Bataserpa wrote:

I am asking this question because I have both versions of the 4ms noise swash (standalone and module), and somehow the standalone version is much more controllable and sounds better (to me) than the eurorack. They are different.

interesting - my experience was the opposite. Loved the standalone but having 18-30 turns, whatever it is, on the swash knob of the modular version.... we're not worthy Dead Banana screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! not to mention the CV ins/outs (i had the big swash, but not the CV version of the pedal).

to be fair though, the desktop did feel a bit easier to get dialed in/become intimate with...although it did also feel like there was more dead space among settings than in the euro version.
xthrasherx
I have the 666 module, never tried the tabletop version. It is an interesting beast and I’m probably not using it enough / spending enough time with it, but it goes in and out of my main case depending on mood. In general I avoid external units from any manufacturer not for any particular reason other than modular is the environment I prefer to create in and I have limited desk space overall. There are some notable exceptions, but if it doesn’t play well with the modular world, it simply doesn’t get used.
sexcomputer
not to deviate too far off the 666/669 direction i find myself a little smitten with the m11 VCAs, anyone have any experience with them? any specific characteristics or are they more of a practical utility?
housepig
sexcomputer wrote:
not to deviate too far off the 666/669 direction i find myself a little smitten with the m11 VCAs, anyone have any experience with them? any specific characteristics or are they more of a practical utility?

Pretty solidly practical - nice functionality to have in my system, to be able to throw a quick manually triggered CV somewhere. The button action is very nice, it has a good tactile feel. I'll probably pick up a couple more in kit form when I next order from Trogo.
mmelnick
I wish Trogo would make a new module for 2019
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 3