MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Poll (Removed): Should I disable post editing?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read! Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Poll (Removed): Should I disable post editing?
Muff Wiggler
reference here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3227

Maybe it's just me, but I hate it when people blank out their posts.

I hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it.

I offer you guys a good forum. If something is worth saying here, or worth discussing, please leave your comments up for future readers to learn from.

If someone has taken time to reply to your post, please show them the courtesty of NOT making them look stupid by blanking out your original comments.

I think I'm a pretty easy going guy. Maybe this just rubs me the wrong way. But I friggin' HATE it when people pull that shit.

Maybe we just got trolled really good. In which case have pride in your trolling abilities and leave that shit up.

In any case. Sigh.

Once upon a time I made a modification to the forum that does not let people edit their posts after a certain period of time. I had it set a 10mins or something like that. Enough time to correct spelling mistakes, short enough to prevent this kind of crap.

Anyway. People weren't happy and many asked me to allow post editing again. Which I agree with.

Then stuff like this happens.

There was another case this week where a member posted something that was a blatent case of copyright infringement, and he knew it, because he said with the post "I'm taking this down soon so grab it quickly". (Yes I saw that and no I wasn't impressed)

C'mon. Is this what allowing post editing leads to?

I don't like it. I don't have anything close to time to manage this board, yet I lose sleep and make time to give you guys a good place to hang out and keep you happy. Often my plane lands somewhere and instead of getting to a hotel for some sleep, I sit my ass down in some foreign airport, fire up my laptop, and come here to try to do stuff to help make this place GREAT for you all.

So, in the spirit that I've always intended for this forum, I want to let the membership deceide. Here's a poll. I'll let it run for a few days, please make the decision for me. I'll always defer to what the majority of the members feel is best. This place is here for you guys, and only valuble because of your participation. I want this to be the best and most comfortable place for you to talk about modular synths. What do you want me to do about this?

Thanks.
NV
I like the idea of the 10 minute editing space you mentioned. Completely eliminating post editing would be a bit unnecessary I think, as the times when post editing is a source of conflict is often when people delete an extended conversation after several days of growing lunacy. However, I will sometimes make a post then a minute later realize that one extra sentence might make it a bit more coherent, and it's nice to be able to add that in.

I actually always just assumed there was a time limit of about 5 or 10 minutes, so to me it seems quite natural to impose such a thing. I think it would be a nice middle ground between supporting the benefits of post editing and eliminating the drawbacks. Plus, I would imagine if someone ever really wanted a post deleted for whatever (reasonable) purpose, you or another moderator would be more than willing to help out.
indexofmetals
I agree with the 10 minute editing space idea
elemental
indexofmetals wrote:
I agree with the 10 minute editing space idea

or even 20, 30 mins... but not much more.
Babaluma
i'm againist the idea of removing the edit function in any way, because like most of us, i'm apt to make a complete dick of myself from time to time, especially if i'm inebriated. Guinness ftw!

on those rare occasions, it's been a pleasure for me to be able to retract/delete my post the next day.

i'm also against it in principle. do what thou wilt and all that. i feel that in a public forum if people want to self censor then they should be allowed to do so.
cavage
i am quite new here so my voice is cheap

i understand the annoyance of people erasing posts after long time
not fair and pretty coward attitude

so i am against, by concept, any form of moderation and rules like this

but here i never felt like moderation is watching you or anything like that

so, due to the problem exposed, i understand a rule is needed

on a practical side, 10 mns seems sooooo short to me , i often post something, and come back on the forum 30 mn later and re-read my post ... with 10 mns for someone like me it is like disabling the function anyway...

the problematic eraser anyway seems to erase long time after posting, when subject is closed isnt it ?

my 2 cts wink
suitandtieguy
i try really hard to live with what i post, and vice versa.

however, i'm very curious to see what decision this forum reaches. there's nothing more irritating than a post deleater or a slimy editor like the Beat Kangz, however judicious editing is a good thing.
Gordon Cole
Ghost Ghost Ghost
Kent
How about our own No Adam Henry policy? lol

I'm with Gordon on this one. It is an infrequent minority with bad manners. I'd say that a warning and then a banishment would be better.

In a long-term view; dokken's self-deletion won't matter in 6 months' time. I look at this forum as a repository of information for those that follow in our footsteps. On numerous occasions; due to my newness to Modular Synth Land; I've gone back and edited my posts as I've learned more. I've corrected data that was factually incorrect in order to give the next guy more relevant information in one post instead of updating the thread as time goes on. I find it to be more concise for future generations of Wigglers.
At one time, I had posted an incorrect statement about my Vostok because I was confused about something. Once it was figured out, I changed it.
I've also edited things for clarity once I've reread them several months later.

Perhaps a 6 month 'training period' for new posters; wherein they could edit their posts for some amount of time (10, 20, 30 minutes...) and then have full, time-restriction-free, editing powers; would be beneficial to the cause.

I am not in favor of having my voice restricted due to the irresponsibility, immaturity & bad manners of others; regardless of how the majority votes, it is the principle that should matter even if we must suffer the occasional fool. I have a hard time rationalizing the rush to alter things for everyone based upon the idiocy of a few. Take Argitoth; he was addressed in the correct manner and I'm keeping him in check on Modularsynth.net now.
Don't let the very very few bad apples spoil it for the rest of the bunch that makes this forum what it is. The core people will remain and the dead weight will sink. I've seen it time and again on well-moderated forums.

This place is like New York City; it's a playground for adults.
DGTom
I generally take the approach of editing prior to hitting submit & would not, as a rule, post anything on a public forum that I would not be happy saying out loud in public.

With regards to editing posts to ensure correct info, the same thing can be achieved by quoteing yourself & making sure the updated / corrected info goes on record as such.

I think the 30min timer would be the most workable, long enough to think about something & make a gracefull retraction, but not long enough that the edit button can be abused to upset the space time continuum Tinfoil Hat Tinfoil Hat Tinfoil Hat

Edit; ( hihi )

Although, Gordan brings up a good point about the For Sale section, both in terms of housekeeping & keeping a for sale notice updated without it becoming really long. For both buyers & sellers I think its good to keep the up to date info in the 1st post.
Kent
DGTom wrote:
Although, Gordan brings up a good point about the For Sale section, both in terms of housekeeping & keeping a for sale notice updated without it becoming really long. For both buyers & sellers I think its good to keep the up to date info in the 1st post.

That's how I feel about the whole forum. Keep it tidy as a resource and use the "Quote" or "Post Reply" as a way to 'bump' it.

Often, things read better in context. The replying can be for addressing points of conversation as they arise.
fonik
i would like to vote to leave the edit function as it is. why? just because it can reduce confusion as well. i used it in the past in other forums to replace wrong schematics with corrected versions (or even better removed them with a reference to the post below containing the correct version) or to update information on a project in the very first post (time frames, proces etc.).

however, i'd liked to appeal to all members to use this function in a wise, responsible and helpful manner. this should be sufficient. i don't want to loose this function just because of some particular cases. and hey, wait just a view days and this whole calamitous thread might have been drown in the flood of new helpful information and discussion.

just my 2 pence.
cebec
Babaluma wrote:
i'm againist the idea of removing the edit function in any way, because like most of us, i'm apt to make a complete dick of myself from time to time, especially if i'm inebriated. Guinness ftw!

on those rare occasions, it's been a pleasure for me to be able to retract/delete my post the next day.

i'm also against it in principle. do what thou wilt and all that. i feel that in a public forum if people want to self censor then they should be allowed to do so.

I agree. I want to be able to edit my posts. One troll should not ruin it for the rest of us.
suitandtieguy
cebec wrote:
One troll should not ruin it for the rest of us.

i just wanted to echo that. i thought about it while watching a couple episodes of Airwolf and realised that, yes, Stringfellow Hawke might not need to edit his posts, but he'd fight to be able to.
Soy Sos
I've only ever edited a post to correct poor spelling or grammer or update a link. If someone acts like a dick and deletes their posts, then ban them.
suitandtieguy
Soy Sos wrote:
If someone acts like a dick and deletes their posts, then ban them.

that too.
parasitk
I'd like to be able to edit my posts – I usually do it to fix spelling or clarity, or to update links that have become broken.

Although I am annoyed that it looks like I'm arguing with myself now in that thread. d'oh!

edit to add hihi - actually i quoted him enough that it doesn't look totally one sided.

I DO hate this post blanking thing too. Same tricks for the same kind of poster. very frustrating
pristak
I like being able to edit my posts. Usually it is for spelling, but sometimes I said something wrong and it is good to be able to clarify it or re-word it so that someone else doesn't get confused.

It is nice to indicate what it was edited for in some way if there is a major change.
Babaluma
i certainly don't agree that people should be banned just for deleting or editing their posts. that's way draconian.

do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.

it's up to muff at the end of the day, but i've seen forums die in some way after strict moderation was enforced.
jonkull
I'd rather see a membership test where people have to answer questions like the one below in order to get an account.

Do you agree with the following statement?

"I'm tired of hearing awesome synth sounds that I can never recreate with my software synths."

On a serious note I'm mixed on this one. I edit posts once in a while but I don't remove them the way Dokken did. Though when you look at the posts that were removed they didn't really contain any kind of valuable information...unless you're looking to set up a modular that uses 88 VCOs all tuned to their own note so you can have perfect tracking and plan on buying a Z3000 just to use as a tuner. I mean what did we really lose here?
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
I'm with Gordon on this one. It is an infrequent minority with bad manners. I'd say that a warning and then a banishment would be better.

In a long-term view; dokken's self-deletion won't matter in 6 months' time. I look at this forum as a repository of information for those that follow in our footsteps. On numerous occasions; due to my newness to Modular Synth Land; I've gone back and edited my posts as I've learned more. I've corrected data that was factually incorrect in order to give the next guy more relevant information in one post instead of updating the thread as time goes on. I find it to be more concise for future generations of Wigglers.
At one time, I had posted an incorrect statement about my Vostok because I was confused about something. Once it was figured out, I changed it.
I've also edited things for clarity once I've reread them several months later.

Perhaps a 6 month 'training period' for new posters; wherein they could edit their posts for some amount of time (10, 20, 30 minutes...) and then have full, time-restriction-free, editing powers; would be beneficial to the cause.

I agree! with Kent and Gordon.
Self-editing can be useful for clarification at times.
Editing training wheels seems like a good way to go with new members.
parasitk
jonkull wrote:
"I'm tired of hearing awesome synth sounds that I can never recreate with my software synths."

this should the new forum tagline! hihi
chromium
I edit quite a bit when I do that occasional epic post, but only to improve reader experience Mr. Green (fix my bad spelin and grammatizin)

I'd never use the feature to change facts or delete any information. I'd selflessly opt instead to become immortalized as a complete yahoo on the www hihi
chromium
parasitk
chromium wrote:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read! Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3