MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Adapting the EuroRack audio world for video synthesis
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Adapting the EuroRack audio world for video synthesis
Matos
You guys got me excited. Half my doepfer us due to your suggestions. Great ways of making a small system flexible.
lizlarsen
The module that's still getting the most use by me is the quadrature VCLFO -- I love it!
daverj
The LM324 is an old quad op amp with the same pinouts as most common op amps (like TL074). It's often used because it is very low power, and it's slow bandwidth helps keep CVs smooth if they don't need to go really fast.

It's a bipolar op amp instead of a FET input like the TL074. In some designs this can be an issue, in others it doesn't matter. It depends on whether the designer was just going for the low power aspect, or was using the characteristics of the bipolar inputs as part of the design.

Chances are you could substitute a TL074 and get 3 times the bandwidth, but without a schematic I can't be sure. You might be able to go with an even faster chip, but again, without knowing the circuit it's not easy to predict. Faster chips can often oscillate when substituted because the design doesn't take into account the characteristics of the faster amp.

For general shapes and patterns you don't always need a faster chip unless you are going for extremely fine detailed shapes or sharp edges.
lizlarsen
Maybe I will order one of these and give it a shot, soon. It's nice that the op-amps are socketed in Doepfer modules.
MrDys
I think I have some TL074's laying around, so I'll try this out when I get a free minute.

I also e-mailed Doepfer to see if they have any kind of advice on the matter.
lizlarsen
If you get oscillation, that might possibly be solved by adding a small (2pF?) cap between the output and inverting input pins. It'd be nice to have schematics for all the Doepfer modules, then we could document full mods for those that could possibly be upgraded bandwidth-wise.
MrDys
Dieter is amazing. Nicest guy in the world. He responded:

Quote:
You may replace the LM324 by other pin-compatible op-amps (like TL074). Nothing can be damaged and the circuits are cheap. ... Maybe some frequency compensation is required for faster op-amps.
MrDys
So, I didn't end up having any TL074's laying around like I thought I did. I'll have to pick some up this weekend.

I did try out the A-136 on a video signal, though. I got some interesting effects, but the fidelity was pretty low. Definitely got some solarization-like effects. I'll have a video demonstrating it when my internet at home stops being stupid.
MrDys
Picked up some TL074's today. Did something of a side-by side comparison with the LM324:

The LM324 is first and from about 2:45 onward it's the TL074. There's definitely more fidelity in the TL074, but they seem to have slightly different effects. I really like the effect in the TL074 version when the levels are cranked and it gives it a kind of analog-vectory appearance.

I may have to have two (or more) of these modules with different chips in.
lizlarsen
That's some really beautiful stuff! Another reason to have two of them would be for RGB processing -- one each of a module like this send to RGB outs (but with a common source) should give a very cool solarizer/colorizer. Another thing to try to add more "voltage control" to this effect is to sum an LFO with the video signal before sending it to the distortion module.
johnnywoods
Very cool! I got to play with a prototype LZX waveshaper circuit when I was in Australia, and it was an amazing tool. Although it's meant to do some specific color conversion tricks, it is also capable of beautiful solarizations.

I've done some RGB processing with the Toppobrillo TWF, and the results were very cool. Need to play with that some more.
lizlarsen
We'll have the video waveshaper prototype at NAMM next week and will upload some video demos of it in action!
barto
nice comparison! i didnt really understand what you guys were talking about before
daverj
Nice lo-fi processing. The images worked well with the effect
numan7
in the pics thread, MrDysj wrote:
Is that SoS useful on video at all?

here's a quick demo i made of SoS processing signals from a VWG (as well as being modulated by another VWG, starting at around 4:00). while it isn't the most precise effect in the world (nor is intended to be), i think it can do some fairly interesting stuff.

cheers
smrl
Yeah I've played around with a couple of homebrew delays I've built around the PT2399 with video - it's interesting but extremely bandwidth-limited - has a minimum delay time that's not quite short enough for video stuff in my opinion, if you're doing some horizontal band type stuff and get the timing just right you can get some nice smooth cascading bands. I don't think voltage-control is all that beneficial, using VC feedback might be nice but you have to get the timing just right to get some coherent stability out of it, otherwise it just looks like a garbled mess. There are probably better delays out there for working with video, i'd look for something that can go down to shorter, 'chorus' rates...
lizlarsen
Yeah, even an extremely short delay (a couple hundred nanoseconds for example) at decent video bandwidth could create wonderful things within a feedback patch, especially if voltage controllable (also at video rate!)
zapp550
This thread got me started on running video through some of my stompxoes , very fun stuff screaming goo yo. I'll try and post some of the results this weekend.
MrDys
On the A136 front, I've gotten good results tonight by inputting the video signal into the "Ext Level" inputs and skipping the "Input" input entirely. Worth a shot if you're experimenting with non-video modules.

Speaking of which, the STG Wave Folder does excellent work as a solarizer, too.
wcfields
Just ordered the Sandin kit modules and added a Doepfer A-144 Morphing Controller to the order.
giorgio
also ordered both kits
seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it
I'm pumped for the edge extraction, I've been using keyers to do it up until now but I'll be more than happy to use the TVFKG for other duties.
nickciontea

The WMD Synchrodyne is a wonderful module for people who want to supply both an audio synth and a video synth.

It syncs nicely w/o amplification of the LZX VSG signal.
Sawtooth core runs upto 400kHz.
PLL opens up a world of tinkering and possibilities.
The filter works nicely in HP modes
Wavefolding is icing on the cake.

This video's output is entirely SYNCHRODYNE.. One VWG for FM
Matos
Nice video. I was curious about its video prowess. Looks like a winner.
lizlarsen
Very exciting!
Stable line rate sync + 400KHz range = the second truly viable video oscillator in Euro outside of the VWG!
nickciontea

dont think this one was posted in this thread. interesting waveforms
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 5 of 8