MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Adapting the EuroRack audio world for video synthesis
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Adapting the EuroRack audio world for video synthesis
nickciontea

My favorite audio oscillator for LZX .. the dual osc HERTZ DONUT.

i constantly use the wavefolding and lfo.

2 of these in my system
Cat-A-Tonic
Cwejman VCO-6 syncs happily to Line.
reignbear
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

interesting, how high does it go?

i got my bugbrand syn2a to sync to super low line rate, as in the line is like 1/3 of the screen width.

edit: it also syncs to field pretty well. not as well as the hertz donut, more like the wiard oscillator in johnny's video.
Cat-A-Tonic
reignbear wrote:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

interesting, how high does it go?

i got my bugbrand syn2a to sync to super low line rate, as in the line is like 1/3 of the screen width.

edit: it also syncs to field pretty well. not as well as the hertz donut, more like the wiard oscillator in johnny's video.

Perhaps I spoke too soon in my video newb-ness.
I'm just getting my brain wet in this part of the spectrum.

The sync input of VCO-6 doesn't have much effect,
but expo FM (line, field, color bars) is great.
It is easy to tune into somewhat stable patterns of many horizontal lines moving vertically,
or 3 vertical lines moving horizontally.
It takes some fine tuning to get them not moving.
The octave switch and fine tune are just as handy for video purposes as they are for audio and LFO duties.
I think PW Saw will prove useful.

The response of the Wiard/Malekko Anti-Oscillator is very different.
Self-FM tunings are interesting.
With the Mayhem out you can get some neat diagonal seaweed patterns.
MrDys
I've been using the Doepfer A-127 Triple Resonance Filter to do some filtering/color separation effects. It's pretty great. It's three filters in one module, so you get one for each color channel. It has a built-in independent LFO for each channel that can be bypassed with any other CV source. Individual outs as well as a summed out (great for feedbacking), amplifier and attenuator on the ins and outs. By default, it's setup to be three bandpass filters, but a jumper will turn it into a lowpass. I need to make a 2HP breakout that brings that jumper selection to the front. There's another mod out there that will change the filters into highpass ones. It'd be great to get all three in the breakout.

At some point I need to pull it out of my case and investigate if any of the ICs can be upgraded to higher bandwidth versions.
nickciontea
If your sync into an audio module is a little off. or only has sweet spots.. It could help to amplify your sync signal.. thru a TVP, Voltage Bridge. or other amplifier that goes higher than unity.
spaceship
I have been getting some cool effects using my LiveWire Dalek Modulator
Cat-A-Tonic
OhMyFuckingDog!

The Cwejman FSH-1 is the mutt's nuts for video effects!

Color shifting, feedback patterns, directional shifting, wondrous analog artifacts... spinning
Matos
Nice! The micro hadron does some delightful things to video. Using the built in mixer to fade between signal is super terrific!
lizlarsen
I imagine that frequency shifter does some really fun stuff. Post some video!
barto
im dying to get some audio reaction here. the doepfer a-119 is available now. maths is being redesigned but that seems more versatile. the AV tools probably wont be out for a while...will the a-119 have other uses when those other 2 modules come out?
lizlarsen
Quote:
will the a-119 have other uses when those other 2 modules come out?

There is some feature overlap, but it is not identical to MATHS or AV Tools.
Plus, most EuroRack modules hold their value very well, so you could always sell it when something more ideal comes along.

One point to make is that with the 1V signal ranges in the LZX system, you don't really need much, if any, extra gain/amplification on a line level audio signal, in order to bring it up to the proper modulation range. So that feature of the A-119 is pretty negligible.

If you want something that will be cheap, with maximum "useful now" and "useful later" (with AV Tools), I'd up an A-170 dual slew/limiter:
http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a170/

It will be useful with AV Tools because the individual outputs don't have their own rise/fall adjustments (the envelope followers in AV Tools are all tuned respond as quickly as possible without causing inter-frame glitches.)
If you want to further manipulate the rise/fall time of these envelopes, a slew limiter like above will be useful.

And it should be useful now, just feeding audio into it directly -- or better yet, feeding audio into Voltage Interface I, adjusting for 0-1V range (clipping off negative portions of the waveform) and then feeding it thru the slew/limiter. In this case you've got each module performing the two functions of an envelope follower.
barto
thanks lars! so since its a dual slew limiter i could mult the audio signal and extract lower bass frequencies and higher snare frequencies at the same time?
lizlarsen
Quote:
thanks lars! so since its a dual slew limiter i could mult the audio signal and extract lower bass frequencies and higher snare frequencies at the same time?

No, it won't do any frequency extraction. A slew limiter is basically a DC-coupled low pass filter. You want to do frequency extraction before the envelope follower/slew limiting. Any basic audio VCF with Low-Pass, Band-Pass and High-Pass outputs will be able to give you three outputs. There are also some multiple bandpass filter modules. AV Tools is basically a microphone preamp & input amplifier followed by 8 pre-set bandpass filters and then 8 pre-set envelope followers.

So you want to go :
audio > filter(s) > envelope follower(s)
smrl
Malekko switch passes full bandwidth video and needs no amplification. (max365-based) The select input does need to be switched at >1v, and is not nearly so fast, seemingly only capable of audio-rate modulation.
lizlarsen
Nice, on the Malekko switch! Should be great for strobing or frame rate switching.
barto
just got my first audio module today (PEG) and have a couple questions so i dont blow anything up. trial by fire tonight at a gig evil

1) this module has a scale knob. i believe its 5v at center but you can scale up to 10v. i assume i need to use voltage interface 1 or voltage bridge to use it with LZX modules? will i damage anything if i accidentally scale up to 10v while patched?

2) in order to patch LZX signals into it, i need to scale up with voltage bridge?
johnnywoods
The nice thing about PEG, is you can use the scale knob to output roughly 1v signals. Just start with it at 0, then slowly turn it up until you see an effect you like. The 5v output does not pay attention to the scale control, so make sure you have the right output patched.

What LZX signals would you like to patch into it? If you're thinking of using the frame clock to sync the PEG, then yes, you will need to boost the LZX logic signals. Most audio gear doesn't respond to the 1v signals.
johnnywoods
oh- and no matter what, you won't blow up anything! So patch liberally :-)
barto
ill probably end up patching some VWG's into the CV input on the PEG but
holy shit this module is awesome! for my band, i try to make a patch that looks good and sounds good for noise in between songs and this module has made it so much more interesting/fun. im trying to save the last bit of space in my case for the next LZX release but i now must debate on getting another 9u case or perhaps one of those big gorilla box cases because i definitely need more audio modules in my life. very frustrating
nickciontea
jjr
This video posted a while back looks awesome. I tried to follow the thread back to figure out what it was that was processing the video but I'm still kinda confused. Anybody want to enlighten me?

Also nick thanks for the demo!

spaceship
jjr wrote:
This video posted a while back looks awesome. I tried to follow the thread back to figure out what it was that was processing the video but I'm still kinda confused. Anybody want to enlighten me?

Also nick thanks for the demo!

Looks like a filter to me.
jjr
Yeah I was hoping to find out which filter 8_) Drugs spinning
Matos
Link says its a doepfer a-136 distortion wave shaper module. Fun little guy.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 6 of 8