MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Adapting the EuroRack audio world for video synthesis
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 [all]
Author Adapting the EuroRack audio world for video synthesis
lizlarsen
Quote:
...but the LZX module is 'digital' Logic, right?
Just 0 and 1v, nothing in between, right?

Correct. The new version of VBM has a "MAX" output (analog OR.) Digital logic serves its purpose with the LZX logic modules, but analog logic is arguably more useful for compositing video signals.

Does the Doepfer Min/Max lose any resolution on video signals?? If not that's awesome. It probably uses discrete transistor logic.
Cat-A-Tonic
lizlarsen wrote:
Quote:
...but the LZX module is 'digital' Logic, right?
Just 0 and 1v, nothing in between, right?

Correct. The new version of VBM has a "MAX" output (analog OR.) Digital logic serves its purpose with the LZX logic modules, but analog logic is arguably more useful for compositing video signals.

Does the Doepfer Min/Max lose any resolution on video signals?? If not that's awesome. It probably uses discrete transistor logic.

The Doepfer Max/Min uses 2x LM324 chips.

The picture quality is good enough for most tasks.
The same as Doepfer A-152, or Blacet Hex Zone sequential switches.
There seems to be a slight softening (loss of resolution).
When using with oscillators you wouldn't even notice.
With external footage there is a difference, but it's fairly negligible.

That's cool that the new version of the VBM has Max outs.
You should revise the description on your website and Analogue Haven.
I don't think the write up got updated along with the module.

There are also Analog Logic and Peak & Trough PCBs available from Ken Stone (CGS).
It's hard to DIY for cheaper than used Doepfer though (especially if you factor in time & effort).

It's a pretty fun way to combine images.
moogboy
I've been fucking around with the ADDAC 601 Fixed Filter Bank for about 3 hours now, using the envelope outs of each of the frequency bands (some fed into a Macro Machines Dynamic Destiny for switching) to modulate parameters on the MVIP. I suspected the Fixed Filter Bank would be a great module for video applications, and I was not disappointed. Can't wait to try the RxMx/Fixed Filter combo with it.
drumasaurusrex
Both of these examples are great! Thanks for posting!
drumasaurusrex
I have tried recalibrating the Mutable Instruments Edges to get higher frequencies and try to push into video rate (vertical lines). The control of the frequency is weird after calibration, but allows the module to generate frequencies above the audible range... but just barely... like I get to nearly the maximum frequency range before it becomes inaudible.
It is not ideal for video synthesis. However, it is a fun (for a minute) adaptation of an audio module. You get 4 separate oscillators with separate outputs or a mixed output... with some cross-mod options. Mostly pulse wave (except for osc4), but can add/substitute for some extra modulation if you've got one.

Cheers.
Dirty_Bill
Playing around with the Ciat-Lonbarde Denum and Swoop. These "Bounds/Bounce" oscillators like to fly all over the frequencies, but feeding them line and frame sync signals to their bounds makes them sync at some frequencies. This is triangle outs into the Cortex from the Denum and then Swoop (with a VWG sine colorizer over the top).

Just shot with the phone, excuse the pixels and scan lines. More experimentation is needed. Definitely not worth a video yet hyper

Cat-A-Tonic
I've had some good results with audio filters and wave-folders processing video.

Wave folders look similar to filters, but with more ripples or bands instead of washes/smears.

Pulse based wave folders act kinda like keyers.
drumasaurusrex
I have really been enjoying the 3TrinsRgB+1c for adapting my audio modules to the video world.

The link below is 3 waveform outputs from the Pittsburgh Modular DNA Symbiotic Waves module sent to the R,G, and B CV jacks on the 3Trins. With the fine tuning knob, you can get some -fairly- stable waveforms. It doesn't show well in the video, but at low frequencies, you can see some cool digital edges in the different waveforms.

cheers!

https://youtu.be/Evg8_DTMvE8
bananeurysm
Is it at all possible to generate composite video with color with standard eurorack modules? color info comes from a related modulator of some sort right?
Cat-A-Tonic
bananeurysm wrote:
Is it at all possible to generate composite video with color with standard eurorack modules? color info comes from a related modulator of some sort right?

You need some sort of Color Video Encoder and Sync Generator.

LZX has a few options.

Alternatively, you could use:
Dave Jones MVIP
or
3TrinsRGB+1c
bananeurysm
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

LZX has a few options.

Dave Jones MVIP
or
3TrinsRGB+1c

Yeah I'm aware of those (excellent) options. And I do have a 3trins, but I'm wondering if there's away to DIY the chrominance signal using 'vanilla' audio modules.
giantmecha
Hallo, has anyone here had their Maths modified for video use? I was speaking to Tony @ Make Noise, and he said this is something he used to do for folks looking to pair their Maths with an LZX rig, to get it into (better) video range. Or is this something that can be achieved with a voltage bridge/attenuator?
Dirty_Bill
giantmecha wrote:
Hallo, has anyone here had their Maths modified for video use? I was speaking to Tony @ Make Noise, and he said this is something he used to do for folks looking to pair their Maths with an LZX rig, to get it into (better) video range. Or is this something that can be achieved with a voltage bridge/attenuator?

I have had the Pressure Points modified for video - it involves making the output voltage range 0-1V I believe. This is less necessary with Maths, as it has output attenuators on each channel, so it's easy to dial into the video range.

One of the issues with mod'ing is it will make the module less useful for regular audio synthesis.
Eloc
bananeurysm wrote:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

LZX has a few options.

Dave Jones MVIP
or
3TrinsRGB+1c

Yeah I'm aware of those (excellent) options. And I do have a 3trins, but I'm wondering if there's away to DIY the chrominance signal using 'vanilla' audio modules.

I believe that if blanking and sync signals were imposed correctly on signals created with audio modules, so long as their output was scaled/offset to 0-1V, then you would get a viable black and white composite video signal (i.e. Luminance) relatively simply. However chrominance is more complicated. If somehow these audio modules' signals strayed up into the chrominance carrier frequency range, I imagine you would get some flickers/flashes of colour, but to do colour properly you need quite specific phase shifted and amplitude modulated, but otherwise consistent carrier frequencies (which is probably a good deal out of the range of typical audio stuff).
Ayab
DaveRJ - Do you mind me asking what video modules you are planning?
NathansModular
I performed extensive testing on my entire audio rack today with the vidiot. In order to be scientific I only used my vidiots horizontal and vertical sine outputs into its red key input. I varied the oscillators rates. I did not use any attenuator in any of the sucess stories though on most modules that didnt work I attenuated the vidiots signals to pass their comparitors. No advertising or guaruantes. I am a video noob but I did this to give back what I could as a thanks. Your miledge may vary:

I have had the best results from day one with my fm aid. It allows you to take a simple wave as an input and get waves that are significantly more interesting back. Synching was preserved. Today I tested two signs and got some cool shapes back. Feeding shapes in mostly results in odd contorted versions of them back.
fm aid

Doepfer min max with horizontal and vertical sine with the max out routed back in.
doepfer min/max

Veils for amplitude modulation required gain on the modulator but the results were very pleasant. Seems boring but when I do more with it its incredible. Veils

Vermona quadropol for ring mod is a favorite of mine. The dc offset and attenuversion are very useful utilities but the fact that you can ring mod with slight skew make it a favorite for me. Similarly boring but much more exciting stuff is possible. quadropol

I was shocked at the result I got from my rossum morpheus. This is vertical sine input with horizontal sine on one of its modulation ins. The modulation in lagged slightly and so it slowly scrolls (its not in sync) but I couldn't beliece the results.
morpheus

My Dixie 2+ doesn't sync no doubt about it but all its modulation sources responded to my horizontal and verticle sine with no gain added. This is video rate pwm and sync. This was a stable image and manipulating the pwm yielded insane stuff.
One of the most beautiful simple things I have done.
Dixie 2+

I find my ornament and crimes bytebeats to be a very nice noise source as I can sequence it, and adjust many parameters to get drastically different results. Not even closed to synced though and it doesn't accept video rate inputs.
vitznutzcracker, sweet! o_C

Rockin' Banana!

I am willing to do very extensive testing if someone needs and provides a framework for it.
I am also willing to provide creative examples if desired though I choose not to. I did not want to do any marketing just technical demo.
NathansModular
Last night I began my journey to DIY a serious video synthesis station. I built my first module, a elby design/in fritz 5 pulser, as I believe that wave shapers are one of the best tools for video synthesis. Its not perfect and well it does preserve sync I noticed every few minutes it would jump a bit to a different state. Probably a result of my soldering Dead Banana

I found it very nice for distorting shapes as provided what I would like to call translational effects. It worked the best when I fed it an additional video rate oscillator into the cv in instead of just feeding a single video oscillator into the input. Heres what I got:

Mostly just twiddling the shape knob seeing what results so could get.

All of these were done with the diamond output of the vidiot with a triangle wave fed into 5 pulsers cv in. One of them uses the hardwired shape to color key in addition.

Hardest part was choosing which one the million variations to record

Definitely worth my 60 dollars.
Apfelmann
been doing some experiments with vidiot and audio modules, i am pretty new to videosynthesis but i have a large audio eurorack modular.

so i fm´d the vertical VCO with any waveform of the other VCO and the modulation either moved left or right but i wanted it to do both, tried the doepfer a 106-1 and lowpass does one side highpass the other, so i then continued to use a sequential switch and boom.

any other or eaysier way to do this?
GavinSuns
Has anyone tried using software CV outputs (eg CV Tools or VCV Rack through an ES3) into your LZX modules? I'm trying to look into whether these can be configured to output at these higher (vertical) frequencies?
hdd
did anyone use Mutable Instruments Stages in a video rig ? i think this one may be ace.

HOURGLASS looks cool, but i think it needs something like the stages to go on another level.

Still i have the teletype and just friends in my rig, but we never have enough modulation smile
Agawell
yeah I've used Stages a bit - just as general AD envelopes though

I can see it being really useful in multiples

I'll have a go at the weekend with a more complicated patch on Stages

more important than modulation imo are utilities to distribute and alter the modulation - so it all stays related, but different

a really useful addition is Passage (if you don't already have it) as it allows you to add the envelopes into video rate CV

re getting audio up to vertical bar rate - good luck, I'd be surprised if you can do it though - maybe try some wave multipliers after coming out of the ES3
hdd
i don't have passage, but i have made some cadet processors, faders and multipliers , and yes, they are really essential for lot's of LZX module inputs to enhance control.
nerdware
I'm just starting to use envelopes with video. I've used the Malekko AD/LFO-V for a while, but I find the rise and fall times to be a little too short for the things I want to do. They're great for transitions, however. I've trigged this module with Permutation but I need a slow clock to get the best results. However, that works well with generative audio patches, so I've been exploring that this year. I don't always like the results, but I'm persistant. The same goes for variations on the Krell patch and similar ideas. I want to try the Tussy cell idea soon, but my results so far with VCLFOs hasn't been great.

I also have Stages and that works well for me, but the Quaid Megaslope looks like it could be great too. Unfortunately, I'm out of space now. This means I can focus more on the modules I have rather anything else I could use, if I had it. So I love Stages. So many modes and combos! If I had the space for it, I'd get a second one and chain them. You can do that with the Megaslope, too.

BTW, the MI Marbles module also works well with video, once you scale the outputs. I also like using VCAs to scale animation-rate signals with a 0-1V signal. See my earlier comments on the Malekko module.

Nevermind the Envelator!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 [all]
Page 8 of 8