MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Adapting the EuroRack audio world for video synthesis
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Adapting the EuroRack audio world for video synthesis
johnnywoods
here's the video, just a simple demonstration of basic functionality:
daverj
Was the flicker in the purple in the first half some kind of bleedthrough of another oscillator, or an artifact of the modemix, or something else?
johnnywoods
The flicker is most likely due to the fact that I recorded this to a VHS tape that has probably been re-recorded on about 25 times. I record everything that comes out of my modular, but I have one tape I keep re-using for "experiments". I didn't notice the flicker when I was recording, but I'll check it out tomorrow to make sure. The Moddemix definitely adds a bit of softness and a slight slew to the right of the image.
lizlarsen
Nice experiment Johnny!! Interesting stuff.
Yeah, that looks like old VHS flicker/flavor to me too.
daverj
Yeah, recording to VHS definitely could add that flicker. And you won't see it during recording.

I was assuming that you recorded to DV or straight to a computer.
ocd synthnerd

Sorry it's blurry. It's the best I could get the compression.

Do you guys deinterlace when compressing?
Since the LZX modules use interlaced video I thought it might make it look better if you don't, but deinterlacing seems to make things look less ragged
for me.

Anyone know which way is the way to go for sure?
lizlarsen
Oh, weird!!! There's some really interesting stuff going on in there. I need to try out my phaser as well now.

Deinterlacing helps a little bit sometimes, it really depends on the nature of the video. The video itself is interlaced but any unsync'ed control voltage sources or oscillators you feed in as video sources are going to be linear rather than interlaced. I usually deinterlace clips when rendering out before web upload.
daverj
That was fun. I especially liked the craziness around the 6 minute mark.
ocd synthnerd
Thanks guys.
I'm bummed on the compression. A few minutes of my favorite stuff can't be seen. I would have cut it out if I knew it was going to turn out like that. Sadly I guess I'm using the best compression settings I can seem to get. Compressing is always a let down.
Oh Well.
How do you imbed Vimeo files on this site? The usual doesn't seem to work here for me.
daverj
It works the same as YouTube embeds. Just use the "Video" button in the reply box. Either paste the link, select it and then hit the Video button. Or Hit the Video button once, paste the link, then hit the Video button again.

I fixed your post so it is embedded.
ocd synthnerd
I swear that's what i do but It never works. I'm dumb I guess.
thanks dave
daverj
Well, it may be something odd with the forum too, or with Vimeo. When I just came here the video wasn't showing. I refreshed and now I see it again.
jjr
So the video exiting the color video encoder is interlaced when its set to NTSC - when its set to PAL is it progressive ( full frame)? I'm still trying to wrap my head around what happens when you send a 16:9 wide screen signal in - does it remain in 16:9 in the system and whats the best way to keep it 16:9 when exiting the system?
thanks
jjr
lizlarsen
Hey Jimmy! 16:9 is a question of how the video is displayed and recorded -- there's nothing in a composite video signal that defines it as "16:9" or "4:3". So if you're shooting with a 16:9 camera, then send it through the video synth, and display it as 16:9 on a monitor, or capture as 16:9 when digitizing, it will maintain the aspect ratio with no problems.

PAL and NTSC are both interlaced formats.
johnnywoods
jjr wrote:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around what happens when you send a 16:9 wide screen signal in - does it remain in 16:9 in the system and whats the best way to keep it 16:9 when exiting the system?
thanks
jjr

It depends where the signal is coming from. If you're sending out a composite signal from a video camera, DVD player, etc, you will get letter boxes at the top and bottom of the image. Unless, the device has an output option to send a "squeezed" signal.
Of course, this is still a 16:9 signal, but it doesn't take advantage of the full resolution within the system.

My technique of choice is to ingest the 16:9 footage into FCP or Avid, then squeeze it to a 4:3 aspect ratio before outputting to the video synth. My display has an option so I can view it "unsqueezed" while I'm working. I capture the processed signal through an HD upscaler which also has an "unsqueeze" feature. So it ends up 16:9 in the end. It's actually much simpler than it sounds.
jjr
cool what upscaler do you use ? its hardware?
thanks
jjr
johnnywoods
jjr wrote:
cool what upscaler do you use ? its hardware?
thanks
jjr

I actually have a VHS player with an HD upscaler built in. It works surprisingly well. Ive also used a Matrox MXO2 Mini and Avid Nitris DX.
The Matrox is a great affordable I/O solution. It has composite/ s-video/ component/ HDMI in and out. Support for ProRes too.
jjr
thanks. Have you guys ever used magic bullet instant HD? I never have and I wonder how it compares to a hardware solution.
http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-instant-hd/
daverj
A hardware solution is more convenient. A software solution can potentially give better results, since it's under no time constraints to do the calculations.

But of course cheap hardware and cheap software can also give poor results if not designed well.
flozki
hello. i use all kind of analog modules.almost all the basic doepfer stuff as well as many homemade modules.
all vco's, lfo's , cv switches , 4067 based sequencers work also for video sequencing. this was quite a suprise for me because normally 4067 multiplexers are really low-fi (frequency, crosstalk...) but it works...

but i use synkie input, output modules. so the sync pulse is removed and added back in the end. also i can use the modules to genrate sync.
so between you can use anything but have to divide down the voltage to 1 volt.
f.
PhineasFreak
Are there any basic utility modules intended for sudio setups that don't work or should be avoided when planning a euro videomodular
I'm aware I'll want some multiples/buffers/mixers etc (as far as cv's go I mean)

Am hoping that althgough the cv's aren't generally gonna be +/- 10v or whatever that most basic euro utilities will work?
daverj
On my upcoming video synth, all video inputs accept standard Euro +/-5 volt signals as well as the special video voltage range. No adapters or anything else required. Just plug in any Euro module.
lizlarsen
As far as utility DC mixers, mults, and buffers go, the only real concern is bandwidth when mixing 1V signals such as those put out by the LZX modules. Passive mults don't make a difference -- buffered mults, and mixers which use op-amps intended for audio, may have poor frequency response for video signals, but will be fine and useful for mixing lower frequency modulation signals, regardless of the voltage range.
PhineasFreak
Is a buffered mult likely to be necessary or does most video stuff have such things effectively built in?
johnnywoods
The LZX modules have buffered outputs. I've stacked up 6 stackcables on one output with no noticeable droop.

Dave: I'm curious about your earlier reply. Assuming your system runs on 0-1v video signals, does this mean CV inputs are separate from video inputs? Or is there some sort of switching to allow for the different ranges?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 2 of 8