MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Akai!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Akai!!!
tIB
I have a bit of an akai fetish, its a fairly cheap and rewarding addiction... great gear.

Here's the collection so far:


Limited but great basic sound... osc to filter routing is nice.


Beautifully shit sounding, got the lead to connect to the ax but havent do so yet.


Dont have the wind controller, plans to mod it for CV without hacking at it...


Brilliant!


Bought it for the EB16 card inside (to put in the mpc), not fired it up for anything else yet... might bend it.



Scratchtastic!



Wierd midi delay... not got it going yet- think it only delays once!


Patchbay with merge.


Trigger to midi- very good.

For future Akai gathering Id really like the VX600 one day, cant afford it at the moment though and prices seem to be rising. Semi-actively hunting the MFC42 filter at the minute, the half rack effect stuff really interests me too, as does the MPC60.

Anyone else got love for the Akai?

(Oh, and BTW Feel free to hit me up if you want to feed my addiction! thumbs up)
3vcos
I always loved my ax60. I had a vx600 and thought it sounded quite boring when compared with knish about any other analog poly. Great specs and it looms cool as fuck but it just didn't have a good tone. Even a ax73 sounds way better and actually the 73 really sounds cool.
tokyocat
Akai gear I've currently got is a MFC42 filter, a Z8 sampler and a MPC2500. All good gear.

Used to have a S3000 sampler back in the day. Made a lot of good tracks with it, the only bad point was backing up samples to zip drive and floppy drive all the time.

Never had any reliability problems with any Akai gear, I used to take it on tour and it never crashed or broke down.

Akai gear I'd like to get are the DPS24 (a nice hard disk recorder that is unfortunately out of production) and a MPC4000 (also out of production).

I'm also curious about the VX600. But I've never had a chance to even play one let alone buy one. I've often seen it referred to as "the poor man's Oberheim Xpander", I'm not sure how true that comparison is.
3vcos
I've got an expander and I had a vx600. There certainly are some similarities but but I think one would ultimately be very disappointed with the vx. They use the same Curtis chips but the vx comes off sounding rather plain compared to an expander. Too polished of a sound, like they wanted to make something that sounded like a clean digital synth. :-(


tokyocat wrote:
Akai gear I've currently got is a MFC42 filter, a Z8 sampler and a MPC2500. All good gear.

Used to have a S3000 sampler back in the day. Made a lot of good tracks with it, the only bad point was backing up samples to zip drive and floppy drive all the time.

Never had any reliability problems with any Akai gear, I used to take it on tour and it never crashed or broke down.

Akai gear I'd like to get are the DPS24 (a nice hard disk recorder that is unfortunately out of production) and a MPC4000 (also out of production).

I'm also curious about the VX600. But I've never had a chance to even play one let alone buy one. I've often seen it referred to as "the poor man's Oberheim Xpander", I'm not sure how true that comparison is.
3vcos
I'd love to hear your review of the mfc42. There is a he'll of a lot of goodness in that rack.

tokyocat wrote:
Akai gear I've currently got is a MFC42 filter, a Z8 sampler and a MPC2500. All good gear.

Used to have a S3000 sampler back in the day. Made a lot of good tracks with it, the only bad point was backing up samples to zip drive and floppy drive all the time.

Never had any reliability problems with any Akai gear, I used to take it on tour and it never crashed or broke down.

Akai gear I'd like to get are the DPS24 (a nice hard disk recorder that is unfortunately out of production) and a MPC4000 (also out of production).

I'm also curious about the VX600. But I've never had a chance to even play one let alone buy one. I've often seen it referred to as "the poor man's Oberheim Xpander", I'm not sure how true that comparison is.
tIB
Yeah build quality is immense on these, in truth Akai gear is the only synth stuff Ive ever felt confident opening up- the S900 disk drives are the only things Ive had issue with, the other openings were to instal stuff or just geek around.

Hoping to get more use out of the AX73 when I move- so big I struggled to fit it in my curret studio- Have ideas for the next place and Ill own it so can drill holes and stuff. Yeah its an interesting enough synth once you get past the apparent lack of modulation... great sound as I mentioned. Need to get the S900 into it at some point- not sure how that works, think it just lets me process the S900 but there is also a mix setting so you can have balance the internal oscs with the sampler.

The AX80 and 60 both look good, wished I had the cash when ager was selling his 80... definately like to try one. Interesting that the VX600 didnt do anything for you.

Tokyocat how does that filter stack up? Is the dist and phaser any good on it?
tIB
3vcos wrote:
I'd love to hear your review of the mfc42. There is a he'll of a lot of goodness in that rack.


Yes, this!
valis
Haha. I had that same weird midi delay and ended up giving it away. I can't remember if it only delayed once or what but it was pretty wonky. I was hoping it would delay the midi signal like a normal delay but I had little luck doing that.
3vcos
The ax80 looks cool as fuck. Really only one or two other Synths out there with that kind of cool UI. Unfortunately the ax80 did as much for me as the vx600. Both were toneally a bit boring. Love the 60 and 73. The 73 has just a huge sound. Terrible UI and giant footprint.


tIB wrote:
Yeah build quality is immense on these, in truth Akai gear is the only synth stuff Ive ever felt confident opening up- the S900 disk drives are the only things Ive had issue with, the other openings were to instal stuff or just geek around.

Hoping to get more use out of the AX73 when I move- so big I struggled to fit it in my curret studio- Have ideas for the next place and Ill own it so can drill holes and stuff. Yeah its an interesting enough synth once you get past the apparent lack of modulation... great sound as I mentioned. Need to get the S900 into it at some point- not sure how that works, think it just lets me process the S900 but there is also a mix setting so you can have balance the internal oscs with the sampler.

The AX80 and 60 both look good, wished I had the cash when ager was selling his 80... definately like to try one. Interesting that the VX600 didnt do anything for you.

Tokyocat how does that filter stack up? Is the dist and phaser any good on it?
tIB
^ yeah the delay was given to me. Might have the XE8 drum rack on the way at some point too.
10011001
I had the X-700 12 bit sampler back in the day
I remember it as having one of the best menu systems I ever had to deal with applause
tIB
^ no shit! there was one fairly close to me up recently that went for peanuts... not really having room for the AX meant I definately didnt have room for that one too.
tokyocat
3vcos wrote:
I'd love to hear your review of the mfc42. There is a he'll of a lot of goodness in that rack.


@3vcos and tIB:

The MFC42 is a useful piece of kit. Well worth the money I paid for it, they can be picked up second hand quite cheaply.

I put my Akai MPC2500 beats through the MFC42 and it toughens them up. I also sometimes put my digital synths through it to give them a bit of an edge. It has low pass, band pass, high pass and notch filters. I put my Roland System 100 through it sometimes too when I need a different tone (the System 100 has a good filter but it's low pass only and always sounds 'warm'. The MFC42 can give it a cold, sharper edge).

Each filter has an adjustable LFO that can modulate cutoff, resonance, panning. It also has an envelope generator. Personally I wish it had 2 LFOs so I could have seperate modulation of both cutoff and resonance at the same time, but I guess it wouldn't bother most people.

Two additional features it has that I don't often see mentioned: a brutal nasty distortion effect that sounds great in certain situations and an analog phase shifter with adjustable parameters. The phase shifter sounds good on strings and pad sounds.

EVERYTHING is controllable by MIDI which is a big plus (for me anyway). There is no CV control so that might be a disadvantage for some of you guys.

Overall it is a great piece of gear, for me anyway. But I haven't done any side by side comparisons with other competing outboard filters. Cat-A-Tonic has a Sherman Roden Restyler outboard filter and that looks very cool also, lots of real-time controls. But I haven't had a chance to do a direct comparison between the his Sherman and my Akai yet.

I'll use the MFC42 on the next track I do and then upload it to Soundcloud so you guys can have a listen.
tIB
^ Thanks, Ill keep my eye out... loved the last one btw. smile

Im pretty heavy in the filtering department since I have the Ebbe und Flut and the sherman filterbank... Id really like to grab the akai too since Ive really enjoyed what they have bought. I use a lot of midi so it would fit in well with what I do.

Bid on one last week but fell short... been thinking about placing a WTB thread but at the minute I have NomoneyTB.

EDIT: BTW if you ever see one cheap over there on the used market tokyocat then let me know... there's not too many that crop up over here and when they do youre looking at 4-500 USD. Pretty sure they are cheaper than that elsewhere.
Morley
I had aVX600 and whilst it was cool for certain things and had some nice features, it was as 3vcos said however, not that exciting sonically, which is what it should be about in the end!
An Xpander is way, WAY better (but more expensive)
tIB
^ interesting... not often Ive seen the VX bashed, prices are going more towads those of the Xpander so there's not as much in it now as before. Gone are the days of the sub 500 euro VX600 I think.

Xpander is somewhat of a dream synth of mine, I thought about having a little sell off to fund one a while back but held back due to those screens- always wondered what getting the parts on those would be like if they failed (along with the other stuff in there that's getting rarer).

EDIT: Bashed is probably too strong a word there...
Morley
Some people rate them quite highly but I had mine when I had a Chroma, Xpander, Prophet 5, Juno 60 and the VX and it was just not as nice sounding, less fun to work with and the things it did that were cool, just didn't tip it for me.
I am sure some find it perfect.
tokyocat
tIB wrote:
Xpander is somewhat of a dream synth of mine, I thought about having a little sell off to fund one a while back but held back due to those screens- always wondered what getting the parts on those would be like if they failed (along with the other stuff in there that's getting rarer).


There are honestly TONNES of Oberheim Xpanders available in Tokyo at the moment, all in excellent condition. I could literally go out and buy TEN Xpanders off the shelf tomorrow if I had the money (which unfortunately I don't). It's no problem getting them repaired and maintained in Tokyo.

On the other hand - OB-Xs, OB-Xas, OB-8s and Matrix 12s are extremely hard to find over here and they always sell instantly as soon as a shop gets one in.
tIB
^ Incredible, how much are they all going for?
tokyocat
tIB wrote:
^ Incredible, how much are they all going for?


They usually sell for about 180,000 yen over here, fully restored. I guess that's just under US$2000 dollars?

I'm always tempted to get one but I already have an Alesis Andromeda and an Oberheim OB-MX, both of which have pretty much the same feature set as the Xpander so it would just be overkill for me. If I ever do buy any more Oberheim gear it will probably be the new patch-panel SEM.
tIB
That's a decent price if they are fully restored... Tell me, the Japanese postal system... how expensive is it?
tokyocat
tIB wrote:
That's a decent price if they are fully restored... Tell me, the Japanese postal system... how expensive is it?


I'm not sure how expensive the postal system is, I just buy stuff straight off the shelf. I'm guessing it would be fairly costly to get something like the Xpander safely shipped overseas, but probably no more than shipping from any other country. Plus you might need to get power supply changed because of the different voltage, I'm not sure (or you'll need a step up or step down transformer).
tIB
You mind if I shoot you a PM for the names of some these shops in the (fairly) unlikely event I ever get my Xpander chase on?
Cymatics
I've got an s700 and two s612's. Love the sound love
alexP
NICE TO SEE MORE S700 LOVE!!!! I have the S612 and the S700 as well, and love em both! I also have the S1000.


alexP
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group