MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Like Adobe Lightroom, but for sounds (?)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Like Adobe Lightroom, but for sounds (?)
MrBiggs
I take a lot of pictures and use Adobe Lightroom to download, process, and organize these pictures. It can make exposure adjustments, crop, etc; and then it can tag with various metadata keywords, dates, locations; and it can be used to create collections of images that have no basis on the physical location of the files on one's hard drive; lastly it is great for saving derivative files of the original in whatever format one needs, and it can upload to one's website or Flickr.

So... I've been recording a LOT lately. Mostly modular but also Reaktor, guitar, field recordings, etc. As many of you also do, I have thousands of samples and longer things in folders and it's getting difficult to keep track of. I'd like to find some software that is like Lightroom but for these sound files where it can take the contents of my folders and allow me to organize, rename, tag with ID3 and other metadata, maybe add images to (like iTunes album art), and export to various formats (FLAC, WAV, MP3, etc).

Anyone know anything like this? Some audio editing would be nice as well, but I mainly use Wave Editor for such things.
poppinger
Not sure if you're Mac or PC, but AudioFinder is great for the money, and it's what I ended up with.

There's also Soundminer which is cross-platform, but it seems more geared to film work and is priced to match ($900ish)

Other programs to check out:
Basehead - another full featured film-oriented sample organizer.
Ifoundasound
Aural Probe - open source program more focused on previewing than metadata.

LunarFrog sort of falls in this category, but it's not really analogous with Lightroom, it's more a metadata database for any kind of file, whether it's samples, photos, or ransom notes.
MrBiggs
Oh goody. Thanks poppinger. I'll tap those links and see if any of it works.

I'm on a Mac. I thought that the Audiophile app called "Sample Manager" would work. Alas, it's a batch processor. It's a good one, but what a misnomer.
jonah
Quicksilver, automator action to append metadata comments to multiple files, tagbag. I like snapper2 a bit better than audiofinder for quickly chunking out audio files, but audiofinder does a lot. NameChanger. Smart folders, automator actions to add metadata to files automatically when they get sorted into a smart folder.

You might like the program default folder x. I'm demoing it now. I have a hard time spending money on "productivity" software.
stk
poppinger wrote:

LunarFrog sort of falls in this category, but it's not really analogous with Lightroom, it's more a metadata database for any kind of file, whether it's samples, photos, or ransom notes.

Thanks for this, trying it out now and seems really simple & handy.
amsonx
+1 on Snapper
dan_k
Yeah, I was just reading about Snapper on Trash Audio, it looks brilliant!
Mantaray
I'm happy with Audiofinder but Snapper looks cool too. Audiofinder was one of the first apps of its kind and it's still constantly being updated.
MrBiggs
Seven years after starting this thread, I just found it again. Audiofinder actually looks closer to what I was asking for way back in 2011 (and still need) but that Snapper looks pretty awesome. Thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1