MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sequencing a Vermona DRM1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Sequencing a Vermona DRM1
vlk
Just wondering how people are integrating these into a modular set-up. I think it sounds great (from what demos I've hear), but the lack of on-board sequencing complicates things. Obviously you could sequence it in a DAW, but I'd prefer not to have to use it with the laptop. Is there so kind of stand-alone MIDI sequencer that would do the trick?

Thanks
Liddlepud
Analogue Solutions Europa or a Korg Electribe?
aksen
a roland tr-505 makes a pretty neat (and cheap) drum sequencer. i use it for my mfb-502 as its internal sequencer is a pain to use.
kidtesla
I've used the FR777 and the FR Mobius to sequence it. Just assign different midi-note values to each drum sound. ...It has great sounds,btw.
hbc
When I used a tr-505 with my vermona, it seemed that the velocity level of the midi notes was low. I couldn't figure out a way to edit that value on the tr, so I had to crank the level on some of the drum sounds, and it got a little noisy.

I bought a korg DDD-1 from another forum member here and it works really well with the vermona. Velocity sensitive buttons, easy sequencing if you can do without a roland style grid, dumb cheap, and you can assign one of the DDD's extra drum sounds to a trigger output to push modular events.

Also fun: tenori-on in bounce mode. Bizzaro poly-beats!
aksen
hbc wrote:
When I used a tr-505 with my vermona, it seemed that the velocity level of the midi notes was low. I couldn't figure out a way to edit that value on the tr, so I had to crank the level on some of the drum sounds, and it got a little noisy.

i think each instrument's volume maps to a velocity. the instrument volume is separate from the midi settings, and only has...5 levels? and seeing as you can't set level on different steps, it's not the most expressive of sequencers. but for cheap x0x style programming i find it quite good.
hbc
I think a level setting on the 505 of "5" corresponds to a midi velocity of about 75 (ran it thru midi monitor a while ago and I don't remember exactly).
stin-g
I use a MFB SEQ-01 with mine and it's all kindsa fun. Pretty basic compared to what you could do with a bigger thing but I love the way it integrates with the rest of my modular. Throwing in the 4MS divider and multiplier make for even more good times...
Spiked Lunch
Do any of you have the trigger inputs on your DRM? I don't but I'm considering getting them or going DIY if possible?
hbc
I wish I did have the trig inputs, but I don't. There are a couple of drum brains and trig to midi converters available out there. I think Alesis and Akai made affordable ones.
Low-Gain
hbc wrote:
I wish I did have the trig inputs, but I don't. There are a couple of drum brains and trig to midi converters available out there. I think Alesis and Akai made affordable ones.

you can order the trigger input expansion directly from Vermona.
noobyscooby
Seq-01 originally, now a Seq-02. The best Jerry, the best!
aksen
hbc wrote:
I think a level setting on the 505 of "5" corresponds to a midi velocity of about 75 (ran it thru midi monitor a while ago and I don't remember exactly).

wow i didn't realise it was so low. thats an arbitrarily stupid number they picked...
doctoranalog
Low-Gain wrote:

you can order the trigger input expansion directly from Vermona.

I've been thinking about adding the CV/gate inputs to my Perfourmer. Do you know what's involved? Is it something that could be DIY'ed?
Liddlepud
I ordered the Trigger expansion for the Vermona DRM MKII and it was installed for me by "The Beast" who used to live quite near me. He had a lot of trouble getting the correct installation instructions from Vermona as the ones supplied were for a different model eprom. Vermona sent a new Eprom but now the DRM won't work with my MFB SEQ01 as it looks like the triggers transmitted by the SEQ01 are not long enough. When I run the triggers through a Doepfer Trigger delay and increase the length of the trigger it works fine but this restricts me to 2 DRM sounds triggered from the SEQ01. I contacted Vermona and they offered to check out the installation but it means posting it to Berlin and any associated repair costs.

Ergonomically it's a pain in the arse as the trigger inputs are on the back of the Vermona and are difficult to access without taking the DRM out of the rack. I tried leaving all the trigger cables connected but everytime I switched the DRM on it lost it's midi channel and midi note number programming. I've now ended up just using it via midi as I don't want to spend anymore money on it.

In retrospect it would have been better posting it to Berlin to get the trigger inputs installed.

It'd be interesting to hear if anyone else has had problems with the SEQ-01 and the DRM. The DRM triggers fine from my 808, 606, and all of my Doepfer trigger sources.
SepticUnderground
the easiest way of TR-XOX sequencing the DRM1 without triggers but standalone without PC/MAC is a Korg Electribe ER-1 IMO, used one for quite a while to sequence a Novation Drumstation.

You can save the notenumbers in a pattern on the ER-1and the ER1 just have enuf internal sounds (more than 8) to use the mapping for another mapped note based drumbox, like the DRM1

For a lousy 100 eurobucks you can find one perhaps
vlk
Thanks for all the replies! Just sold an er-1 actually d'oh!
This probably means I don't deserve to get a DRM1 anyway. Hmmm. Drums.
EATyourGUITAR
I was actually thinking of getting a DRM1 with CV ins to hook up to a MFB seq-01. my friend has a sds9 and I told him to get an MFB seq-01. then I saw the sds9 is $240 on ebay so that might be some cheap fun.
tragedybysyntax
yeah... I'm on the fence about a sequencer. Snagging a drm here soon.... might just try to sequence it via maschine. could be cool... or run silent way triggers out to it
EATyourGUITAR
it would be super badass with numerology or ableton/max/msp/monome. software sequencers are light years ahead.
Bath House
I made a hyperset for the MK3 in Logic and it gives me more control and flexibility with that thing than I'd ever want.
doctoranalog
Liddlepud wrote:
He had a lot of trouble getting the correct installation instructions from Vermona as the ones supplied were for a different model eprom. Vermona sent a new Eprom but now the DRM won't work with my MFB SEQ01 as it looks like the triggers transmitted by the SEQ01 are not long enough.

Damn, that makes it sound not-DIY'able. There's something sad about having to swap out EPROMs to make the analog CV/gate signals work. Shouldn't CV/gate just work?
table
oT hands downs
OscillatorSink
I'm not integrating into a modular setup but the BSP works really well with the DRM1.

I'd also suggest: just use MIDI. The trigger inputs don't have any velocity response and that loses so much expression that the DRM can provide. MIDI velocity goes over to pitch and filter envelopes as well as the VCAs so it can really tell a story tonally.

The fact that the roll function on the BSP does a kind of velocity aftertouch makes it so much fun to use with the DRM because of it.
anselmi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2