MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Phasers with "whoosh"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Phasers with "whoosh"
chamomileshark
I'm looking for a phaser that will do over the top whooshes like the Schulz(?) Compact phaser.

It's for synths rather than guitar.

Will the MXR Phase 100 (original) do that? Or perhaps the Mooger Fooger one? The Boss PH3..might seem a set of odd choices but I may be able to pick one of these up.

thanks
Just me
Original EH Small Stones really 'whooshed'. Don't know if the new ones do. I've got a Memphis Roto-phase that is "Whooshy". Funny, but I can't recall if the Fooger Phaser Whooshes. I've got 2 but never seem to push them hard.
dkcg
I really like the Moogerfooger Phaser, there's a CV in for sweep that I use all the time to whoosh things with envelopes.

I also have a Empress phaser which I really like, but haven't tried useing the CV inputs with it, I end up using it in envelope follower mode mostly. Cusack makes a nice phaser too, but I like the Empress and Moog better.

If I had to pick one for synth use, definitely the moog. CVs in and out. w00t
doctoranalog
Yes. Definitely the Moogerfooger MF-103. There may be better phasers out there, but what you really want (or what you'll eventually realize that you need) is CV control of everything.
XXXEsq
For modern units, the Moog kicks ass. For older "vintage" units, I believe nothing beats the Mutron Bi-Phase.
zapp550
I'd stay away from the PH3, most unsatisfying pedal i've ever owned angry
chamomileshark
thanks for the replies - no opinions on the original MXR 100?

zapp - what was the problem with the PH3?
Christopher Winkels
It's been ages since I had the MXR Phase 100, but I recall it having a lot of fizz but not much whoosh or thump.
zapp550
A huge thing for me was the volume drop once engaged (I used it with guitar mainly), it just seemed to really thin out whatever was running through it as well. The only redeeming value imo was the exp in.
dkcg
I used the Moog phaser on this tonight. Smooth random voltage is sweeping the Moog's sweep cv. It's overdriven slightly here as I wasn't paying attention to levels.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/ibdk/thursday-the-12th[/s]
Some of the phasing could also be the frequency shifter. but the whooshes are there, some kinda glorpy. screaming goo yo

One really nice thing about the Moog is it can take instrument or line level input, and the signal out is hot enough I can just put it in the modular's mixer. Euro may need a slight boost, but maybe not.
doctoranalog
dkcg wrote:
I used the Moog phaser on this tonight. Smooth random voltage is sweeping the Moog's sweep cv. It's overdriven slightly here as I wasn't paying attention to levels.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/ibdk/thursday-the-12th[/s]

Very nice! thumbs up
Babaluma
The Synthasonic/MFOS Phaser does a good whoosh, module only usually, although one lady seems to have built a nice pedal type device out of it:

chamomileshark
thanks for your input, I was on the Vemia auction where the Boss PH3, MXR 100 and MF 103 were on auction together with a few others (one of the Schulte ones went for £720).

I got the MF 103. Funny after 30 yrs this will be the first bit of Moog kit I have.
indexofmetals
Lovetone doppleganger does a heavy swoosh, as does the Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe and the infinitphase does nearly as good swooshing with crazy modulation if you want it.
PrimateSynthesis
Imho, all phasers woosh. Try adding a bit of noise to the input signal to fill in where there aren't harmonics. Works well with flangers as well. It's like smoke making lasers more visible.
chamomileshark
thanks for the tip Primate
kaoss
chamomileshark wrote:

Phase 100's whoosh is not that much "over the top". you can adjust Intensity settings but there are not too many sweet spots IMO. in comparison, Phase 90 always sounds right (no 'whoosh' though)

You'd probably like Eventide's Instant Phaser, you know the sound from Zeppelin's Kashmir
antimatter
kaoss wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:

Phase 100's whoosh is not that much "over the top". you can adjust Intensity settings but there are not too many sweet spots IMO. in comparison, Phase 90 always sounds right (no 'whoosh' though)

You'd probably like Eventide's Instant Phaser, you know the sound from Zeppelin's Kashmir

yes , eventide instant phaser is it -

maestro made a great one as well, 'floorpedal' ps-1, Tom Oberheim design-
JohnLRice
I think the COTK C1660 Phase Processor sounds pretty awesome!

cleaninglady
i've got a Roland AP-7 Jet Phaser and that thing really 'whooshes' and has a gritty grind like a hand coffee mill , if you can get what i mean... hihi
JohnLRice
cleaninglady wrote:
i've got a Roland AP-7 Jet Phaser and that thing really 'whooshes' and has a gritty grind like a hand coffee mill , if you can get what i mean... hihi
Those Roland's are cool!

Can't remember if I posted this in this thread before but here's a quick non-scientific comparison of 3 phasers:
Club Of The Knobs C1660 Phase Processor
Oakley Equinoxe (old Issue #1 board)
Roland Phase II pedal

[s]http://soundcloud.com/johnlrice/phasertest-part1[/s]
Popski
I really liked the sound of the Jurgen Haible Kraut Rock phaser. I've used the Moog a lot and love it, but I may try out the Kraut Rock pedal norman phay sells.
Bricks
Another +1 for Moog. I'm normally not a big phaser guy, but Moog won me over
peh
Just me wrote:
Original EH Small Stones really 'whooshed'. Don't know if the new ones do. I've got a Memphis Roto-phase that is "Whooshy". Funny, but I can't recall if the Fooger Phaser Whooshes. I've got 2 but never seem to push them hard.

I guess the degree of "whoosh" is subjective but does anyone have a new Small Stone pedal? If so what is its "whoosy-ability" factor?
onrust nv
I like the MF-103, but the aux out has a softer signal than the main out. So it's a pain to use him stereo. I think the green sovtek smallstones got a nice whoosh an the Tokai TPH-2 wooshes nicely, Ibanez PT-909 does the job great and guyatone PS-007 was a real discovery for me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2