MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moogerfooger in MU? Please?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Moogerfooger in MU? Please?
doctoranalog

I've seen these pictures around the web for a while, but I've need figured out who made them. Does anybody know? Were they a one-off project or were they offered for sale? Does anybody know the history here?

I would love to have my Moogerfooger pedals mounted as MU modules...
Kent
I do know that they were sold off at the last VEMIA auction. www.spheremusic.com

Thus, they are in the hands of a new owner. Perhaps the new owner knows the original creator.
Christopher Winkels
A phaser like that would probably be a very good vacuum to suck up my cash if someone wanted to make it commercially available.
essex sound lab
doctoranalog wrote:

I've seen these pictures around the web for a while, but I've need figured out who made them. Does anybody know? Were they a one-off project or were they offered for sale? Does anybody know the history here?

I'm the one that purchased them from the VEMIA auction. They were built by Rob Jenkins (of Redshift, Stone Idols) as one-offs, and I purchased them from him via the auction. Amazingly, I was the only bidder.

I subsequently learned via Muff's that Tony A. of Oakley did some work on them for Rob to resolve a couple of issues.
doctoranalog
Christopher Winkels wrote:
A phaser like that would probably be a very good vacuum to suck up my cash if someone wanted to make it commercially available.

Yep. If somebody wanted to make these panels (101, 102, 103, 107), I'd buy quite a few of them.
Bryan B
I love these. I think they would require some level adjustments coming in and going out to work with 5U signal levels, but they would be amazing. I seem to remember seeing that the PCB's barely squashed behind the 2U.
doctoranalog
Bryan B wrote:
I love these. I think they would require some level adjustments coming in and going out to work with 5U signal levels, but they would be amazing. I seem to remember seeing that the PCB's barely squashed behind the 2U.

Yes, the PCBs look a little wider than 2MU (maybe essex can confirm?), but I think that just means you have to be careful what modules you place them next to. In my mind, that's a fair tradeoff for a 2MU panel instead of 3MU. Many of the stock dotcom modules have a fair bit of margin space.
Henfield
I wonder what mods had to be done to put in the 15 volt power connector and to remove the effect on and off switch? I too would be up for an MF 105, but I would like to have the option of having all of the faceplates!

My other hope is that Moog would release these pedals in cp-251 style enclosures, making it easier to build a modular synth with them.
essex sound lab
doctoranalog wrote:

Yes, the PCBs look a little wider than 2MU (maybe essex can confirm?), but I think that just means you have to be careful what modules you place them next to.

You're exactly correct, ever so slightly wider than 2MU so you need to be a bit careful about placement and you need to pull at least one module to mount them. No biggie.

They do require level matching at times, but that's entirely manageable too...and a small price to pay.
megaohm
I'd love to do one (or more) of these.
It would be like:

triple width - it's not that I mind the overhang with the double, it's just that there are more controls/mods to add to all of the pedals.

Add on pcb for easy power connection and conditioning and circuitry to adjust levels to work with modular synths.

I don't have any Moog pedals so this would have to be custom work for someone here (you send me your pedal). Afterwards I could post the FPE file and sell some of the add on pcbs for you DIY types.

PM me.

Phil
Christopher Winkels
Phil, if you make the Phaser, I will buy one come hell or high water. Triple width, of course.
megaohm
Phil, if you make the Phaser, I will buy one come hell or high water. Triple width, of course.

PM me
megaohm
The more I look into this I realize that I don't have a source for triple width panels. DotCom has blanks in single, double, quad, and octal. no triple.
If I used a double width there wouldn't be room to mount the additional pcb and I couldn't add extra attenuators and features. I could use 1/8" flat panels from FPE with no turned sides but I don't think that would make anyone happy. A quad width could be filled with extra controls and whatnot but I think it would come out too expensive.
Christopher Winkels
Probably one of the biggest issues with quad isn't intrinsic dollar cost but rather opportunity cost.

Each additional space consumes $16 of available capacity (based on a walnut cabinet) but also means there's less room for other modules. For large system owners this isn't a big deal, but for people with only 22-44U it's a pretty big ask.

Maybe the solution isn't to hot rod a Moogerfooger but rather to do a (gulp) module from scratch?
doctoranalog

Each additional space consumes $16 of available capacity (based on a walnut cabinet) but also means there's less room for other modules. For large system owners this isn't a big deal, but for people with only 22-44U it's a pretty big ask.

With triple-width panels, all six Moogerfooger pedals would take up 18MU. With quad-width, it'd be 24MU, and they wouldn't all fit in one cabinet.

Where do the Delta VCF and STG Mankato panels come from? They're not stock double-width dotcom panels. Couldn't that design be expanded to triple width?

I like the idea of triple width. Quad would be too big, for the reasons that CW cited. If you can't get a triple-width panel, how about mounting the Moogerfooger behind a double-width panel, and then making a single-width "helper module" to go alongside it?

The right kind of "helper module" could also be sold to people who wanted to use their Moogerfoogers with their modular, but didn't want to repackage their pedals...
kaoss
Henfield wrote:
My other hope is that Moog would release these pedals in cp-251 style enclosures, making it easier to build a modular synth with them.

as un-ergonomic as they are for building a modular system, commercial power of moogerfoogers lies in the idea of a self-contained stomp box format with a bypass switch. anybody can use them. guitar players probably bought thousands of them. and there are MANY guitar players for every single modular owner out there.

that being said, if moog decided to try out a limited run of 5U (or horizontal 3U?) versions of the MFs, which they could also offer as full modular systems of a few different sizes, they'd probably quickly become the best selling modular manufacturer on the market
AnalogBastard
I agree, unfortunately Moog appears to be more consumed with guitar oriented projects lately. They are so close with the foogers, there answer of providing a rack kit for them wasn't a big help, biggest waste of i ever spent on equipment.
Christopher Winkels
Out of curiosity, is there anything that prevents a straight reverse engineering of these circuits? This isn't my area of expertise, so I'm just blue-skying.
Bryan B
I would think you wouldn't have to have the pots/LED's mounted to the PCB and instead have the fooger board go perpendicular to the faceplate. That would be 27 wires break out to the front panel though.

If you started the retrofit by considering all/most of the Fooger designs, you might be able to make a front panel PCB that covers most of the slight variations (with Pots and LED's maybe even the jack boards).
megaohm

Maybe the solution isn't to hot rod a Moogerfooger but rather to do a (gulp) module from scratch?

I think I'm with you on this.
Once a refit gets to a certain cost and effort it gives me pause.

A Phaser =

$340 for the pedal
$200 labor
$100+ in parts

That's $640 for a phaser.
MY ASS IS BLEEDING

IMO, a full pedal to module refit would be more work than designing one from scratch.

Out of curiosity, is there anything that prevents a straight reverse engineering of these circuits?

I think I see a bunch of LM13700 chips. Guessing the 6 dual OTAs in the corner make up the phaser stages and the other 13700s make the LFO and Depth VCA and another for Res depth VCA.
Seems like a standard type design.
Oakley and Blacet Phasers use OTA stages, too. You could buy a pair of either for less money than a refit!

If I had a bunch of the Moog pedals I would make a special small cab for them with a panel above or below for all the jacks and level converting. It wouldn't take up any cab real estate (just a different kind hihi ) and if you did it a certain way you could easily remove the pedals intact.
7thDanSound
Or, you could make one 2U panel and clip on a 1U panel like .com does with the aid modules on e.g. the oscillators. Then put some controls on the main 2U and some on the 1U with some kind of logical distribution.
doctoranalog
AnalogBastard wrote:
I agree, unfortunately Moog appears to be more consumed with guitar oriented projects lately. They are so close with the foogers, there answer of providing a rack kit for them wasn't a big help, biggest waste of i ever spent on equipment.

Agreed, the MF rack-mount kits are terrible. The rack mount is 6U to start with, but you can't put anything in the space above it (because all the jack are on the top), so if you want it to be "patchable", it ends up taking something like 7U or even 8U. So you've got something like 14U or 16U of 19"-rack dedicated to six pedals (which is equivalent to 24MU of space). That's why the 2MU (or even 3MU) panel retrofit is so desirable to me.
Christopher Winkels
If one were to build from scratch then the following could be deleted from the build:

LFO amount pot
Low/High switch
Rate pot
Level LED
Drive pot
Output level pot
Aux out jack
Audio Out 2 jack
LFO out jack

I agree that Moog seems to be on a curiously guitar-focused path. They haven't done a "new" synth in what? 3 years? Everything since that time has been a repackaging (Slim Phatty, Voyager XL, twelve different special editions of the Voyager, etc) of existing products.
Just me

boothnavy
I have an FPE file for this 1U panel if anyone is interested. All the i/o for the LPF, RM, and phaser, plus 2 mults w/ both 1/4" and 1/8" jacks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4