MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MaxiKORG DV800 CV/Gate mod ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author MaxiKORG DV800 CV/Gate mod ?
kaoss
Does any of you DV800 owners have a CV/Gate mod on their MaxiKorg?

There was a Japanese company offering mod schematics but it seems like they are not in business anymore. The only other option I found is this DIY guide.
Has anyone tried it out or are there any other options?? Thanks.
Reese P. Dubin
Mine had them when I got it in '98.

As afr as I have ever been able to determine they only affect the pitch and gate, with no effect on the performance controls, which is where most all of the magic is.

Maybe there is a different mod that brings them into play, which I would shift to in about one second.
kaoss
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
Mine had them when I got it in '98.

As afr as I have ever been able to determine they only affect the pitch and gate, with no effect on the performance controls, which is where most all of the magic is.

Maybe there is a different mod that brings them into play, which I would shift to in about one second.

there's a 'modular mod' by Analogue Solutions but it's just for MiniKorg not Maxi. I just emailed AS asking if it can be also used on or adapted to the MaxiKorg.
ndkent
I bought the Analogue Solutions mod for 30 pounds or something. It wasn't a total ripoff but I wouldn't recommend it (if it's still available).

It's a Hz/V instrument. I think everyone knows that up front, right?

As I recall it's pretty clear on the pCBs where CV and gate goes if you are moderately good with mods. So the kit mostly is pre-soldered sockets, a label and a xerox telling you to solder the leads there, there and there. So you get 2 CV ins, 4? filter ins (I'm forgetting, and some Maxikorgs already have a DIN connector for a Traveller pedal) and 2 gate ins

Bad news is quirky old Korg seems to use +-10v for the filter or something super wide meaning when I plugged in the filter mod to a doepfer LFO it just wiggled a little, anyway that's not great but not unsurmountable.

Another annoyance with anyone's mod is as far as I know you either have to build a new circuit board or hold down a key on some or all Maxikorgs for the pitch CV to work. Maybe it has to do with the duophony or something. Anyway, on mine if I don't tape down a key, it won't respond. Not a super big deal, I think the mod I have breaks the now normalized keyboard when a plug goes in so you don't hear the held key, if you follow, it does work properly, you just need to tape down a key.

The kit mentions nothing of the hold down a key or build a circuit board, I learned that on the net. Not sure what the deal is, maybe some units, like the one ASolutions tested the kit on are different in multiple ways. There are definitely differences in units. Mine has traveler DIN i/o so I dumbly drilled more holes than I needed. Also the fairly useless pass through feature on mine should have been used for the mods. The best I understand it Korg thought it was useful for bands without a mixer? You can mix an external signal with the synth. It's not like running audio through the filter and VCA, nahhhh, that would actually be useful. Anyway I'm just pointing out yours may have IMHO useless plugs on the back.

The one mod ASolutions omits is running audio through the filter. That would be a useful mod to have, no question.
kaoss
ndkent wrote:
I bought the Analogue Solutions mod for 30 pounds or something. It wasn't a total ripoff but I wouldn't recommend it (if it's still available).

It's a Hz/V instrument. I think everyone knows that up front, right?

As I recall it's pretty clear on the pCBs where CV and gate goes if you are moderately good with mods. So the kit mostly is pre-soldered sockets, a label and a xerox telling you to solder the leads there, there and there. So you get 2 CV ins, 4? filter ins (I'm forgetting, and some Maxikorgs already have a DIN connector for a Traveller pedal) and 2 gate ins

Bad news is quirky old Korg seems to use +-10v for the filter or something super wide meaning when I plugged in the filter mod to a doepfer LFO it just wiggled a little, anyway that's not great but not unsurmountable.

Another annoyance with anyone's mod is as far as I know you either have to build a new circuit board or hold down a key on some or all Maxikorgs for the pitch CV to work. Maybe it has to do with the duophony or something. Anyway, on mine if I don't tape down a key, it won't respond. Not a super big deal, I think the mod I have breaks the now normalized keyboard when a plug goes in so you don't hear the held key, if you follow, it does work properly, you just need to tape down a key.

The kit mentions nothing of the hold down a key or build a circuit board, I learned that on the net. Not sure what the deal is, maybe some units, like the one ASolutions tested the kit on are different in multiple ways. There are definitely differences in units. Mine has traveler DIN i/o so I dumbly drilled more holes than I needed. Also the fairly useless pass through feature on mine should have been used for the mods. The best I understand it Korg thought it was useful for bands without a mixer? You can mix an external signal with the synth. It's not like running audio through the filter and VCA, nahhhh, that would actually be useful. Anyway I'm just pointing out yours may have IMHO useless plugs on the back.

The one mod ASolutions omits is running audio through the filter. That would be a useful mod to have, no question.

interesting..., thanks for all the info!

my MaxiKorg doesn't have the DIN connector but a pair of "TO ACCESSORY" and "FROM ACCESSORY" inputs and outputs, which are basically FX loop In and Out.
kaoss
ndkent wrote:

could it possibly be that one of the filter knobs works as an attenuator when controlling the filter externally? when i tried to control my Pro-One's filter with external CV i was always getting similar results (less than impressive that is) until i read the manual and found out that VCF's Keyboard Amount pot also double-functions as a Filter CV IN attenuator.
andrewF
Mine is modded with all the E-lab circuits (a Japanese synth DIYer). E-lab site has gone now. I have posted all the schematics in a thread on electro-music (its down at the mo' so will add the link when its back up or I will turn on the old pooter and post them here).
It doesn't get any easier to control with CV/gate but at least for me I could 'play' it as the keyboard was buggered on mine.

as I said in the keyboard thread, I could design a PCB with all the CV/gate subcircuits onboard and get some made. Probably would work out to $20 a board.

Sometimes I think about cloning the whole 800DV into a set of modules, its such a growling beast of a synth, all I need is a spare month or so!
dougt
andrewF wrote:
as I said in the keyboard thread, I could design a PCB with all the CV/gate subcircuits onboard and get some made. Probably would work out to $20 a board.!

This would be great! I have 2 Maxis, 1 without a keyboard...
kaoss
andrewF wrote:
as I said in the keyboard thread, I could design a PCB with all the CV/gate subcircuits onboard and get some made. Probably would work out to $20 a board.

that'd be great, i'd definitely buy it!

please update this post if you do so
andrewF
just so this stuff is all in one place. the zip contains DV800 schematic, block diagram, CV and gate mod circuits (you will need two of each), pictures of where to alter the Korg circuitry to implement the mods plus a VCA replacement circuit if your VCAs are dead. Plus VCF inputs and more. This is all from the now defunct e-lab page.

I will make a little PCB, including a regulator to get +15V. It will be about 2 months away as it will be done in a batch with some other boards i am doing.
kaoss
andrewF wrote:
just so this stuff is all in one place. the zip contains DV800 schematic, block diagram, CV and gate mod circuits (you will need two of each), pictures of where to alter the Korg circuitry to implement the mods plus a VCA replacement circuit if your VCAs are dead. Plus VCF inputs and more. This is all from the now defunct e-lab page.

I will make a little PCB, including a regulator to get +15V. It will be about 2 months away as it will be done in a batch with some other boards i am doing.

amazing, thanks again!!
kaoss
andrewF wrote:

hi, just wondering if you're still planning on making the PCB at some point
andrewF
Yes I have a PCB made up which contains two external CV input circuits and two gate input circuits (for gating the EG/vib/bender, repeat and S&H)
Managed to keep it fairly small - about 1" x 5.5"
sorry its taken so long, tend to have about 20 projects running at once.
It will be included in my next PCB run, which should be sent off in the next 2 weeks.....so xmas?

You will only need 1 board, will get probably get 20 made, 1 for me, 19 for sale, expect $20 including shipping to anywhere.
b3nsf
would this work on the minikorg?

looks fun! 8_)
andrewF
They are very similar synths but looking at the CV input cct for the 700S on Cykong shows a few differences, mainly the CV input is turned on and off by a FET.
So the 800dv board might work, but if you are going to go thru all the trouble of building a CV/gate input, use the proper circuit to suit the 700S.
This page is pretty detailed:
http://www.cykong.com/Synths/Korg%20700S/Korg700S2.htm
b3nsf
Thanks, AndrewF,

Cy's mod here we GOOoooo.... eek!
kaoss
b3nsf wrote:

looks fun! 8_)

probably the most hassle-free solution is to get a HzV/Gate/Filter retrofit kit from Kenton. I have it installed in my 700S - works great!
kaoss
andrewF wrote:
Yes I have a PCB made up which contains two external CV input circuits and two gate input circuits (for gating the EG/vib/bender, repeat and S&H)
Managed to keep it fairly small - about 1" x 5.5"
sorry its taken so long, tend to have about 20 projects running at once.
It will be included in my next PCB run, which should be sent off in the next 2 weeks.....so xmas?

You will only need 1 board, will get probably get 20 made, 1 for me, 19 for sale, expect $20 including shipping to anywhere.

fantastic news!! thank you! ... and obviously count me in
kaoss
Dead Banana doublepost
b3nsf
kaoss wrote:
b3nsf wrote:

looks fun! 8_)

probably the most hassle-free solution is to get a HzV/Gate/Filter retrofit kit from Kenton. I have it installed in my 700S - works great!

Do you have to hold a key down for it to work? I remember that being the problem...
kaoss
b3nsf wrote:
kaoss wrote:
b3nsf wrote:

looks fun! 8_)

Do you have to hold a key down for it to work? I remember that being the problem...

No, you don't hold down a key.
You chose between internal keyboard and external CV/gate with an included switch.
So the new stuff that gets installed on MiniKorg's rear panel are three inputs (cv, gate and filter) plus the switch.
b3nsf
Cool, I'm gonna try the kenton one, thanks!
andrewF
Hi guys
I have actually placed the order for these PCBs
.....only 6 months later oops
Just getting 20, 1 is for me, so 19 available.
You will only need 1 PCB for 1 800DV, each PCB has 2 CV circuits and two gate/trigger circuits.

The PCBs will be $20 including shipping to anywhere.
If you want one, just say so on this thread (you can of course change your mind) and I will let you know when they are tested & ready to go.

Given all the hoohaa with xmas & new year I expect they will arrive in mid-Jan.
kaoss
andrewF wrote:
Hi guys
I have actually placed the order for these PCBs
.....only 6 months later oops
Just getting 20, 1 is for me, so 19 available.
You will only need 1 PCB for 1 800DV, each PCB has 2 CV circuits and two gate/trigger circuits.

The PCBs will be $20 including shipping to anywhere.
If you want one, just say so on this thread (you can of course change your mind) and I will let you know when they are tested & ready to go.

Given all the hoohaa with xmas & new year I expect they will arrive in mid-Jan.

I'll take one
dougt
I want one.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5