MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

more noize video
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author more noize video
macumbista
Inspired by Fluxmonkey's latest forum contribution, and emboldened by Muffwiggler's addition of the
Code:
[video]
tag, I decided to put a clip from last Sunday up:

Derek Holzer Live @ Die Remise, Berlin 1 Mar 2009

I was once told by my Butoh teacher, Joan Laage, that there is much more life in darkness than we take for granted. Turn over any stone in the garden and you will find a million living things twisting about, crawling over one another and skittering across the earth--all driven by the basest instinct to escape the light.

An improvised exploration of self-modulating synthesizer feedback. During the soundcheck, one of my Doepfer modules actually caught fire. The first thing which the audience encountered when descending into the small basement of Die Remise was the smell of burnt plastic.

Enjoy!

ps...pls let me know if this plays OK for you. On my laptop, the video has a pretty poor framerate, but I've been told on the Vimeo forums that it's my own problem somehow and that it should work for others.
Kent
My Powerbook G4 1.67GHz absolutely hates Vimeo. It's always a pretty poor experience. It could just be a question of pure horsepower & optimization.
macumbista
That's my spec too.... sites like Vimeo are the reason the entire planet is slowly being turned into a waste pile. However, I really can't stand the quality/"community" around YouTube, so do I really have a right to complain? ;-)
fluxmonkey
Excellent! we must collaborate...

b
bar|none
Yeah but the audio quality on vimeo is far superior.

I really like it but I guess some older machines can't deal.
sandyb
yup - my old ibook 1.42Ghz is grinding to a halt on this too.
nice sounds though smile
rezzn8r
it won't even start playing for me, and i'm on a dual 4GHZ with 4GB RAM and a broadband connection
wetterberg
LOVED the video! Low frame rate here, too, though.

I'd love a run-down of that rig, kind sir! Pictures if possible ;)
macumbista
Doepfer case, top row:

A-199 Spring Reverb
A-136 Distortion (went up in smoke during sound check)
Self-made CV gain/offset
A-138 Mixer
A-180 Multiples (not used in this set)
A-147 VC LFO
RS-40 Noise/Sample and Hold
RS-80 VC FLO
A-175 Voltage Inverter
Rs-30 Frequency to voltage & envelope follower (not used in this set)

Doepfer case, bottom row:

A-198 Ribbon controller (not used in this set)
A-180 Multiples
RS-95 VCO
Cwejman VCO-2RM (the shit!)
A-105 VCF
RS-110 Multimode Filter
RS-180 VCA (not used in this set)
A-174 Joystick

Supercrap MX 1604A Behringer mixer (but I love the feedback)
Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal
Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
ZVEX Fuzz Factory pedal (also the shit, an oscillator on it's own half the time)
Self-made fuzz/distortion pedal
Self-made 8x8 Matrix mixer (pots too stiff to rock live, but just off-camera to my left, four channels used to cross-modulate 3xVCOs + VCF as fourth oscillator)

Not too many of my self-made modules here. I have some DIY delays, VCAs and lag processors laying around in another rack, as well as new 4U high format CGS modules in the works...

Matrix mixer

Studio shot ;-)

Best from Berlin!
D.
macumbista
MP3 from same setup:

http://www.soundtransit.nl/mp3/macumba/derek_holzer-matrix_events.mp3
wetterberg
very cool.
Suburban Bather
Kent wrote:
My Powerbook G4 1.67GHz absolutely hates Vimeo. It's always a pretty poor experience. I could just be a question of pure horsepower & optimization.

Ditto, but shorter videos play just fine.

Great video regardless of it being choppy, audio comes through fine though.

That sucks that one of your modules fried. Hope its easily repairable or just not one of the more expensive ones.
macumbista

There she is, the burned little witch. Wasn't too hard to replace, but kind of freaky to see smoke coming out of your rig any time, much less during the sound check....
D/A A/D
I dig your stuff man!
Kent
Holy Scheiße, mein bruder! Is that black goo on the PCB from the IC or did someone put epoxy on it? What the hell caused that?
D/A A/D
Kent wrote:
Holy Scheiße, mein bruder! Is that black goo on the PCB from the IC or did someone put epoxy on it? What the hell caused that?

I believe the goo is from the socket... eek!
macumbista
That's the melted IC socket, mon frère... happens when acci-magically the polarity of the power to the chip gets reversed. How that happened, I still can't tell. The work of the devil, I suppose...
oisin
sounded even better than vimeo in person
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1