MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing VS3 of ADDAC001 Voltage Controlled Computer!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Introducing VS3 of ADDAC001 Voltage Controlled Computer!
__ag
Hello All!

Just a brief post to announce another finished module!

ADDAC001 VS3
Voltage Controlled Computer

8 Channel Digital to Analog Converter AD5668 IC with:
.16 bits resolution (0-65535)
.bipolar -5+5v or positive 0+5v output
.2 monitor leds per channel

2 x 16 position switch
Reset Button
MiniB USB connection

Arduino based Software with ATMEGA1280 IC
Transmit & Receive Leds
USB programmable

12HP
Eurorack format
compatible with +-12v and +-15v power supplies

I’ve been developing this idea for the last 2 years, this is VS3 – better than ever!

First batch in production, let me know if you're interested!

please check it out here:
http://andregoncalves.info/addac
Cat-A-Tonic
So, let me get this straight.

It is a digitally programable (via computer) ControlVoltage generator
&
it has no CV inputs
so there is nothing 'Voltage Controlled' about it except for the name.
hmmm.....

Is that about right?

Do you have any examples of useful programs that is can run?
opsysbug
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
So, let me get this straight.

It is a digitally programable (via computer) ControlVoltage generator
&
it has no CV inputs
so there is nothing 'Voltage Controlled' about it except for the name.
hmmm.....

Is that about right?

Do you have any examples of useful programs that is can run?

meh Give the man a chance!
bar|none
MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING

I have examples. Been using this since it was the beta brain.

I does have CV input capability. Note it is the brain of an entire system that includes CV input options. Take a look at the website and all the IO options for the 00x system.

You can program it if you want, or use the preprogrammed modes. The software is open source and it's quite easy to modify the programs and upload them via USB. It even has ethernet capability with OSC messages with the ethernet breakout.

In this mode, you can control CV via OSC messages over ethernet. You don't need a desktop computer involved since any OSC capable device can send these messages. Lemur, iPad, Monome, KYMA, etc. It can also convert CV input to OSC to control effects, VSTs, AUs like Silentway for example which uses OSC.

The CV inputs are directly accessible via the software that you load on the device, so yes it is directly CV controllable without a computer. You do need at least one CV input module to get the CV in.

It does need software to do useful things in each mode. Therefore it is definitely suited to advanced tinkerers until there are lots of useful programs avail from the community to load onto it.

If I have mispoke andre about the capabilities, you can clarify but this is not only what I understand but also what I have been using. This is not vaporware.

This is the future in my mind. Ok, it doesn't appeal to everyone and obviously this is forward thinking, but fucking bravo for this Andre!
__ag
thanks bar|none!
some people can't seem to wait to crush people's work...
even when the information is there, they don't bother to read before they write about it...
asterisk
curious to see how much you have improved this module!

i tried one of the earlier brain modules and, for me, the arduino processor was too slow to handle anything more than 3-4 channels of fast moving data from max/msp at a time. it would glitch out quite a bit once i started feeding too much data to it.

interested to see how/if you addressed that problem in the new module!
the new module looks great. bipolar / unipolar switches are a good idea. and mini USB jack is smart too!
bj_gzp
A we're not worthy to André for the Brain/VCC!

When i first discovered the VCC it caused me some sleepless nights, the possibilities are just infinite! As a consequence i sold off all my non Eurorack gear and went all modular smile The VCC is the control center of my system.

I had the chance to test V1 and V2, now i'm waiting with impatience to get the final bipolar version twisted :

Unfortunately i didn't have time yet to really dive into it's code. I'm only using the envelopes and LFO's for the moment. However this alone values the price and i'll go for a second VCC. 1 just for fully midi controlled classic ENV/LFO and triggers , the other will be used for more esoteric stuff wink

Some users may be afraid by the code part, but it's relatively easy to work with predefined modes. Everybody who can change colors or a css of a website should be able to get around it. As bar|none already mentioned, some cool modes can be expected from the user community.

Cheers,
Björn
stk
Hey that looks awesome SlayerBadger!
(Actually been planning something similar for myself, software & breadboard phase so far, if this does the job I may well leave that project).

So, does it receive CV at all? If so, does that require other modules?
bj_gzp
stk wrote:

So, does it receive CV at all? If so, does that require other modules?

Yes, there are extensions, the VCC has the 8 16bit DACs and USB I/O.

You can attach CV ins, Gate ins, MIDI I/O, Ethernet (OSC I/O) and gate outs. There are manual knobs as well.

I use midi control for most parameters (7 bit resolution is enough), when i need more precision (like on pitch or delay time) , i use a 12 bit resolution manual knob for that parameter.

cheers,
Björn
stk
Apologies, I'm a bit confused by the photo. The 8 sockets are labelled "outputs" - are they just outputs or software assignable to be ins or outs?

Or are you saying that add-on modules can provide cv/gate inputs?

Thanks,
sk
bj_gzp
stk wrote:
Apologies, I'm a bit confused by the photo. The 8 sockets are labelled "outputs" - are they just outputs or software assignable to be ins or outs?

Or are you saying that add-on modules can provide cv/gate inputs?

Thanks,
sk

The picture only shows the master module which has 8 DAC's (=out only)
Inputs come with the extensions.

have a look at André's website 00x range, there you see the available extensions. (They didn't change, only the Brain/VCC )

Cheers,
Björn
stk
Thanks Björn, I understand now smile
So with the addition of the ADDAC002, one could have 6 cv/trig/gate inputs and 8 cv/trig/gate outputs, right?

..and more dedicated gate i/o by adding the 004/5 modules.

..Good stuff smile How does the Arduino cope with updating that many i/o at once?
bj_gzp
In principle you could do with just a 001+002, but this would be a waste of the high resolution ADC and DAC.

I'm more into controlling it by Midi and maybe OSC later on.

a basic configuration to start with in CV oriented setup:

001+002+004+005, this translates into:
8 Gate in
6 CV in
8 CV out
8 Gate out

You can map anything to anything in the software layer.

about Arduino performance, honestly i didn't use real time I/O a lot.
I use it currently as midi controllable ADSR/LFO and Midi to gate converter. This is a question where André is in the better position to answer.

cheers,
Björn
stk
Great, thanks for the info Björn, much appreciated.

A self-contained programmable microcontroller-based "modular module" has been a dream of mine for some time w00t
I've been doing a bit of Arduino programming lately (I'm a PHP programmer by profession so the jump is really easy) and hacking the CV outs with RC filtering. Looking for a nice solid all-in-one AD/DA solution, hoping this could be it smile
bj_gzp
I had the same dream and André made it true! nanners

There is still a lot of work to do on the software part. He was busy sorting the hardware. I hope you will get a VCC, as a programmer it should be easy to get around with it.

I'm not a programmer and it's a big learning experience for me. Reverse engineering code rockz wink But i'm confident that i can come up with some cool midi modes in the future.

What do you intend to do with it?

Cheers,
björn
stk
Indeed, it sure seems that way This is fun!

Well I intend to experiment with it to program the functions of those math/microcontroller-based modules I can't fit into my rack, or don't feel like buying.. but whose functions I can understand in code.. smile

Eg: Seeded stepped/smoothed random (aka Buchla SOS / Doepfer A-149), burst / random gate generators (aka Harvestman Zorlon / Stillson), and so on..
bj_gzp
The random is already there as ready made mode. But i got a complex random from André, to keep the VCC free for other stuff.

I was about to buy a Stillton hammer, then i thought, mmmh that should be possible with the brain as well! But i'm not sure if this can be done on Arduino sketch layer, or if it requires a dedicated new mode (done in c++ libraries) I have the feeling it needs the second option.

The module that comes closest to the way i use the VCC currently is the Harvestman Double Andore. Just you can have up to 8 ENVs and they can be modulated in real-time, no preset wave tables. Envelopes timed to the millisecond in code, and the killer for me: Variable slopes. This is great if you want to keep timings but change the sound, just change the slope parameter smile

You have over 100 presets, so you could hardcode your envelopes for your songs in a live setup and just make the parameters variable you need for performance control. Then switch modes for the songs...

And this is a real conservative approach i'm taking here. That's why i will get a second brain. 1 as modulator, the second for experimental applications. I can see me composing in ADDAC code soon, the code becomes the partition wink
stk
I think (though I haven't tried) something similar to the Stillson could be done in basic Arduino code. I'll be giving that a go for sure smile

But of course the real question: will it be available in RED?
bar|none
I still like the gold.

And still want this module when it is ready.
__ag
Hello All,

thanks Bjorn for your posts!
most of the times i don't really have the time to explain exactly everything in detail... busy building other things and unfortunatly disregard the marketing behind things...

anyway, bjorn and bar|none made a lot of the points very clear, thank you once again!

i'd paraphrase stk "experiment with it to program the functions of those math/microcontroller-based modules I can't fit into my rack, or don't feel like buying.. but whose functions I can understand in code.. "
that pretty much resumes it's use and that's what i developed it for!
and it's extremelly powerfull in this!
All my 500 series have this principle behind it, complex random, lissjous curves and the new marble physics

hope this helps!

all the very best
andre
stk
Will this, and the 002, 003, 004 & 005 expansions, be available for the general public to buy?
__ag
The ADDAC00X series is available of course!

but due to being very specific modules, there's low demand and so i make them by request, they're never in stock!

also i always like to exchange some emails with potential buyers to better understand if the module is right for them, if it will do what they expect and if they're experienced with programming and so on...
all this because i don't want someone to buy one of this without knowing what are the implications of such module.
mainly i don't want unhappy customers!

all the very best
andre
stk
Great smile
Do you have prices for these (or would you prefer discussion via PM / Email)?
__ag
no worries, I'll put the prices on the website soon anyway,

so the ADDAC001 VCC is 400€
all expansions are around 100-200€

all the very best
andre
stk
So I'm now wondering about the possibility of programming something to replicate 2x MakeNoise Maths.. In the space of 1 Dead Banana

Andre, do you have any comment on the ability of the Arduino to handle multiple i/o at high clock rates while still retaining accurate timing?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2