which two M-odules to get next?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

which two M-odules to get next?

Post by b3nsf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:14 pm

Hey guys,

I totally love my creature/ quad slope combo! these babies really kick ass, but I want a couple more M-odules! :mrgreen: I was wondering what yall think of these ideas:

dual osc / wave proc = :sb: great tones and shaping ( ÷N bonus )

wilson delay / bi- filter = :party: sound sculpting

gator / SQP = 8) makin beats!

cv matrix / mayhem = :hyper: crazy noodle soup!

Or any combination of these....

later,
ben
its like saying you experience michaelangelo because there is a picture on your happy meal
--shreddoggie
Last time I checked there was nothing Vanilla about old Chi- Acid....that shit's Chocolate as it gets.
--Kendall Station

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:17 pm

Man, I think a Serge without wave processors would be sad thing indeed! At least get that one. :sb:

b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by b3nsf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:22 pm

ok, good point!

perhaps an uber spendy option:

wave proc / klangzeit = :mad: :doh: :doh: dead wallet/bank accnt!!!
its like saying you experience michaelangelo because there is a picture on your happy meal
--shreddoggie
Last time I checked there was nothing Vanilla about old Chi- Acid....that shit's Chocolate as it gets.
--Kendall Station

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:32 pm

In my absolutely clueless opinion, you should get the gator and wave processor.

The rationale:

The matrix mixer wouldn't be too useful until you've got a larger setup. The sequencing modules would take up valuable sound generation/shaping space at this point and I am a total divider/logic whore. The dealy/frequency shfter modules look like a lot of fun, but IMHO the space is better used covering the basics more at this point. As parasitik said, you can't have a serge without shapers. The only drawback I can see is that you still wouldn't have a "proper" filter, which only seem to be available in the triple filter module which might be overkill in a 4 m-odule system.
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

panda30y
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by panda30y » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:38 pm

Of the choices you offered I would probably opt for the dual osc/wave processor myself.

I'm planning to buy my first serge in the coming months w/ the m-odule route and have a similar dilemma after I get my creature. The issue I find is that the Gator really does compliment the Creature very well but i do find getting dedicated a dedicated VCO a necessity, but that's available for my next two m-odules in the future to complete my set of 4! :mrgreen:

A combination I would propose is getting a dual osc/sequencer a if you don't have a sequencer yet. It's kindof a mish mash of a triple osc./gator/sequencer. You'll get bits and pieces of each, such as a comparator, NTO, PCO, seq, active processor, and a vc timegen clock.

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:44 pm

Dual Osc / Wave Proc.

It doesn't duplicate anything in your current combo and it offers major bang for the buck.

The Wave Proc. has 3 VCAs in it, too -- the Ring Mod can act as a VCA, the top section of the Wave Multipliers is a clean VCA in Lo mode, and the XFAD, of course, can act as a VCA. The 3 input Audio Mixer is a great thing to have, as well.

The Wave Multipliers and Triple Waveshaper can benefit from some attenuators for the VC inputs, though, so you could use your Quad Slope's Scaling Buffers for that. I love doing feedback loops with these two, as well, so the Audio Mixer and all the XFADs would come in handy.

b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by b3nsf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:44 pm

drew, WOW.

you are indeed logical.

good points!!

So basically using generators instead of osc's for their multi-purpose functions,
the uber necessary wave proc module :hail: and gator to throw a bunch of new style tools all over my plate. that's... brilliant! :party: :eek:

anybody have a difference of opinion or is it case closed?

the filters are another question: many flavors of filter or just a couple vari-"Q"'s? :love:
--shreddoggie
--Kendall Station

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:48 pm

neandrewthal wrote:In my absolutely clueless opinion, you should get the gator and wave processor.

The rationale:

The matrix mixer wouldn't be too useful until you've got a larger setup. The sequencing modules would take up valuable sound generation/shaping space at this point and I am a total divider/logic whore. The dealy/frequency shfter modules look like a lot of fun, but IMHO the space is better used covering the basics more at this point. As parasitik said, you can't have a serge without shapers. The only drawback I can see is that you still wouldn't have a "proper" filter, which only seem to be available in the triple filter module which might be overkill in a 4 m-odule system.
Gator + Wave Proc would be my second choice.

Also, the Creature does include the Variable Q VCF which is a great filter. It can be trig'd for percussive sounds, or damped quadrature sines in Lo mode, can filter a CV in Lo mode, and it sounds fantastic.

b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by b3nsf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:50 pm

cebec,

Do you find actual osc's necessary? or can a couple DSG and the TGO do the trick? Audio feedback is my fave also. very good point there.

panda30y,

I have a roland sequencer, does that count? please explain why dedicated osc's are critical? WAIT, you have a gator? what's it like??? :love:

you guys are really helping me!!
--shreddoggie
--Kendall Station

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:52 pm

b3nsf wrote:...

the filters are another question: many flavors of filter or just a couple vari-"Q"'s? :love:
You HAVE to get the Variable Slope Filter and Variable Bandwidth Filter. I would suggest the Multi-filter module because you might want more than one of the Variable Q VCF. I often use one for percussive sounds and another for filtering, for example. Plus, with two you can patch up a 24 dB/Oct filter, if you want.

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:54 pm

cebec wrote:
Also, the Creature does include the Variable Q VCF which is a great filter.
Oops :doh: Forgot about that. Man, this is starting to sway some of my modcan lust over to serge. Give me one of each m-odule, a TKB and a couple racks of modcan and I'd be in banana heaven :banana: :nana: :bananaguitar:
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by b3nsf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:56 pm

cebec wrote:with two you can patch up a 24 dB/Oct filter, if you want.

I WANT. very badly. 24 db.. mmm :razz:
--shreddoggie
--Kendall Station

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:58 pm

b3nsf wrote:cebec,

Do you find actual osc's necessary? or can a couple DSG and the TGO do the trick? Audio feedback is my fave also. very good point there.
They are very nice with regard to stability, tracking, and the quality of their FM sound but I get the feeling you might prefer to use the space for more weirdness and density.
The TGO, DSGs, and the Osc. in the Gator, if you go with that, would be plenty sufficient, I think. There are just SO many ways to generate audio rate signals, it's great.

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:03 pm

neandrewthal wrote:
cebec wrote:
Also, the Creature does include the Variable Q VCF which is a great filter.
Oops :doh: Forgot about that. Man, this is starting to sway some of my modcan lust over to serge. Give me one of each m-odule, a TKB and a couple racks of modcan and I'd be in banana heaven :banana: :nana: :bananaguitar:
I hear ya! I'm planning to add a couple of racks of Modcan/Cyndustries in the somewhat distant future. Definitely a match made in banana heaven.

b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by b3nsf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:03 pm

Rex himself set me off on a path of multi-function vs. stability.... I might change my mind in the future, but its not so bad thus far... the only thing I miss about the osc's are the sweet FM tones and sine waves.

That brings up another question:

Will the wave mult need some pure sines to make it do that freaky sound?
--shreddoggie
--Kendall Station

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:09 pm

b3nsf wrote:Rex himself set me off on a path of multi-function vs. stability.... I might change my mind in the future, but its not so bad thus far... the only thing I miss about the osc's are the sweet FM tones and sine waves.

That brings up another question:

Will the wave mult need some pure sines to make it do that freaky sound?
Well, you could always use an oscillating VCFQ (or any of the other filters) for a sine, but I don't think you're restricted to non-freaky sounds if you don't use a sine into the Wave Multiplier, if you know what I mean. Also, each section of the Triple Waveshaper can turn a saw into a sine and I believe you can get a sine-like wave out of a triangle patched into the top Wave Mult.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:09 pm

Does the Variable Q VCF self oscillate? If so there's your pure sine right there! :coffee:

edit: yeah what cebec said!

b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by b3nsf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:19 pm

I wish there was some gator demo's out there, it's the only module that I can imagine what it sounds like, but have a sneaky feeling its WAY more creative than I'm giving it credit for.... for example, what the heck does the boolean do when audio is patched into it? like a comparator?

OK so far, Im sold on the wave proc M-odule, now one more to go!!
:party:
--shreddoggie
--Kendall Station

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:39 pm

b3nsf wrote:I wish there was some gator demo's out there, it's the only module that I can imagine what it sounds like, but have a sneaky feeling its WAY more creative than I'm giving it credit for.... for example, what the heck does the boolean do when audio is patched into it? like a comparator?

OK so far, Im sold on the wave proc M-odule, now one more to go!!
:party:
The BLOG is awesome for generating rhythms, patterns, algorithms, whatever, at the sub-audio rate. At audio rate, it basically squares up anything patched into it. It's good at wrecking a more complex signal, as well.

chimologic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chimologic » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:31 pm

You can always go for a full panel instead of 2 m-odules too. thats what I did... blue voice should be on the way in a week or two

parasitk
Learn to swim

Re: ....

Post by parasitk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:35 pm

chimologic wrote:You can always go for a full panel instead of 2 m-odules too. thats what I did... blue voice should be on the way in a week or two
Damn I'm gonna have to visit you at some point when I'm in NY. :party:

b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by b3nsf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:20 pm

I like the idea of the M-odules, that way, if for some reason down the line, you want to switch it up, you can move one, or --god forbid-- sell it and get another one to fill its spot. Plus I like how the black thing looks like a humanoid with a meditation pyramid inside his head, that also looks like the dollar bill. But maybe that's just me?? :mrgreen:
--shreddoggie
--Kendall Station

felix
Loves the manuals!

Post by felix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:26 pm

If it were me, I'd go for the Gator + something. I guess it depends on if you want to clock the Serge from itself, or some external device. Then again, either way, Division (with odd division at that) and Logic is a must.
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by b3nsf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:38 pm

update!!!

I just chatted with Rex, he thinks the dual osc and wave proc would be the best for me.... if I get the gator, he thinks an SQB with it is very good choice...

its always great bouncing ideas off him... 8)

time to get a wheel barrow full of cash ready :doh: :mad: :mad: :mad:

pretty soon I'll sell my kidney!!!!
--shreddoggie
--Kendall Station

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:54 pm

If you were looking to save some cash you could get the Divider & Logic from MetalBox with banana jacks.
I think its functions are about the same as the ones in the Gator.
That divide by N section looks wicked cool, but it is in the Dual Osc. M-odule too.
I agree about going with the Dual Osc. & Waveshaper panels.
Supplementing your rig with other manufacturers may help out with increasing functions on limited finances.
On the other hand it might taint the :fu: appeal of an all Serge system.
I'm envious.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”