MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Banana is king
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Banana is king
megaohm
Banana jacks are the greatest for playing live!
The spacing of all banana formats is too tight.
hihi
dkcg
Ano no crackle if you like just touching a cable here and there, just for fun.
sduck
WTF?
dkcg
Is there really enough modular performance for a full forum? hmmm.....

I wanna see some shows!
sduck
Maybe, but isolating all discussion to this isolated neck of the woods pretty much guarantees that lots of people won't see anything here.
bwhittington
Ha, I was trying to think of some random topic to start here earlier this evening so I could spoil the virgin white emptiness. It does seem like an awfully narrow topic at easily would fit in the general modular area.

On bananas, I don't know. My experience with live patching (though not performance) is that I tend to have to interrupt the signal to repatch a banana system because I stacked the plugs way high. I'd think that live performance would be possibly the one advantage I could think of for multiples instead of banana plugs.

Cheers,
Brian
lizlarsen
I perform live with my all DIY banana modular when I get the chance. In this video everything is coming from the modular except some DX7. Drums are Thomas Henry circuits and cloned 808 circuits. Sequencer is Midibox SEQ4 (also DIY). Nothin' really happens for a couple minutes.

Here's another one, with a couple bandmates on Korg Polysix & Moog Rogue accompanying.

Dunno if this is appropriate for this thread, so move it if need be. smile
megaohm
creatorlars wrote:

Dunno if this is appropriate for this thread, so move it if need be. smile

Yeah.
And the thread should be titled "Creatorlars fucking rox it...twice!!!"

That was great!
The 1st video, like you said, didn't get me going until after the first couple minutes or so and the stick figure guys ...I don't know.
But by the end of the vid with all the patterns and the teddy bears..the vocals..holy shit! loved it.

The second video was a buzz kill at first.
Only because the first was such eye candy and the sound of the second is lower and a bit muffled. I just turned up the volume and I like this track even more than the first.
Going for a second listen right now.

Great Stuff

screaming goo yo nanners SlayerBadger! nanners screaming goo yo

creatorlars wrote:

Here's another one, with a couple bandmates on Korg Polysix & Moog Rogue accompanying.

This one is for the second video -

Bananallama!
Monobass
oh dear, another muffs information ghetto d'oh!

why isn't this in general modular?
anthonybisset
I just posted a sticky explaining the reason(s) for this subforum. While on the surface it seems like a subset of general modular it is actually deserving of it's own forum as there are more than enough relevant topics which have been ignored or minimally explored.

I agree it is important not to rehash or double up on info at Muff's so please read the sticky and try to keep this subforum focused on the types of topics outlined.
anthonybisset
I'm all Bananas but AFAIK, Robert Rich, Adrian Utley, Greenwood, Balance, Emerson, EMS users, ..., didn't use bananas live. Most of them also weren't pushing the performance envelope relying on techs to tune and pre-patch. But effective use of modulars on stage does not require the banana format.

For outputs I prefer metal banana jacks surrounded by contact plates:
- easy to cue sources without committing energy to plugging in
- playability (tuning oscillators in harmonic intervals and just touching the output you want when you want it).

The downside being an increased build difficulty as the front panel can't be metal or will need considerable machining to keep the outputs isolated.

Going beyond bananas, the magnetic patch point system is really nice for live work, but the cables are a bit droopy and can't have the same weight/physicality... I don't know if scratchiness is common but I would guess the magnetic system might be prone to user generated static when untangling or tracing chords.
Mitchk1989
I've been using stackcables like mad and I do feel the whole 'having to disconnect something I want to stay connected in order to disconnect something I WANT disconnected' problem.
anthonybisset
The old Serge Paperface format provided dual outputs on a lot of modules (especially filters). I puzzled over the reason for maybe two years and then one day while performing realized it prevented mult-jams. What seemed like a waste of UI space was actually a performance enhancement for live patching.
BananaPlug
anthonybisset wrote:
The old Serge Paperface format provided dual outputs on a lot of modules (especially filters). I puzzled over the reason for maybe two years and then one day while performing realized it prevented mult-jams. What seemed like a waste of UI space was actually a performance enhancement for live patching.

Mult-jams? Is that thei dea that with stacking bananas only the top of the stack can be removed without interrupting something else? A work around to counter that is to use the Pomona bananas that have the hole through the side. Use those for additional connections you want to unpatch live.

mateo
What I've been doing lately is prepatching bunch of stuff I know I'll always need with stackables (esp stuff going into inputs that have attenuation), and then patching live on top of those. Best of both worlds!
megaohm
I'm thrilled to see anthonybisset found this thread.
When I first saw the subforum title I immediately thought of one of his prior posts (forgot the thread) that briefly described different tensions of banana jacks and plugs. I'm looking forward, hopefully, for some of his threads on the subject of performance synths.

I have to disagree with others who think this subforum should not exist. Fully modular synths with easy/quick access to well laid out controls and live oriented/heat-of-the-battle features are quite unusual. It strikes me that there is a race to the bottom to see who can fit the most features in the smallest space with little attention payed to playability.
I'm hoping this subforum will present ideas that are in contrast to that thinking.

Mr. Bisset and any others with similar thoughts, PLEASE start some threads detailing your techniques / ideas. It is sorely needed and will be greatly appreciated (by me at least).

p.
anthonybisset
Hi Megaohm,

Thanks for the kind words. We'll be starting a number of threads expanding on what was discussed previously. Check this forum's sticky if you haven't already:

Play Out! - Live Modular Manifest
dude
i had serious banana envy growing in recent months from the live patching aspects of always being able to connect...i found a good solution for my 5u 1/4" unstackable woes. the radioshack 1/4" male>dual 1/4" female connectors! they feel great to me. solid build and while you can only comfortable use 1, therefore two multed versions, i find that is enough for most applications...so much so that i haven't used my mult in a quite a while i still have one in an external box, ut it has felt like a patching revolution and my banana envy has dissipated. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
dude
agreed
bwhittington
I doubt anyone hoped to stymie discussion on this topic. At least in my case, my comment regarded the impulse further subdividing a topic when the general modular subforum seems under-utilized as is. Most of those comments also preceded the posting of the "manifesto" which offers a persuasive rationale for the subforum.

Cheers,
Brian
wsy
dude wrote:
i had serious banana envy growing in recent months from the live patching aspects of always being able to connect...i found a good solution for my 5u 1/4" unstackable woes. the radioshack 1/4" male>dual 1/4" female connectors! they feel great to me. solid build and while you can only comfortable use 1, therefore two multed versions, i find that is enough for most applications...so much so that i haven't used my mult in a quite a while i still have one in an external box, ut it has felt like a patching revolution and my banana envy has dissipated. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Same here. I have a couple of mults but I really prefer the "twofers".

- Bill
Monobass
Playing live with Bananas? I'll just put this here...

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/glow-in-the-dark-banana/

The Video below is for the Eurorack glow in the dark cables, but the cable material and effect is identical.

oldenjon
Monobass wrote:
Playing live with Bananas? I'll just put this here...

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/glow-in-the-dark-banana/

Nice! I'll be putting in an order as soon as I get paid
Monobass
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1