MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Power supply questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Power supply questions
Pockets McCoy
I'm running a pretty long pedal chain. An obscenely long pedal chain...I think there's 26 of them, and I have a suspicion I'm having power troubles. Everything turns on and works, but I just hooked everything up all together for the first time (got a package with more patch cables, so I CAN hook everything up at the same time...), and all of a sudden I'm getting this really high-pitched "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" going on. It's not loud, so it's not feedback of any kind, or pretty much anything related to the effects of the pedals because I get it when they're all off. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm having trouble because of trying to run this huge fucking chain off of one outlet and a power strip, but I'm not sure exactly what that trouble is. I've tried taking a few potential culprits out of the chain (line 6 FM4, trogotronic 667, moogerfoogers, digitech xp-1000) and the sound remains. I also tried plugging into a different amp, and still it haunts me. Ordinarily I'd just put up with it, because I put up with all sorts of noise from what I'm running as it is, but this is a new noise that's somehow perceptible even when I've got a really hot signal running through the whole thing, and the volume of it never seems to increase...It's like the pedal chain equivalent of the raven. As I said, I'm running this all from one outlet, which is probably really, really dumb, but outlets are hard to come by in this house, and that one outlet's got a power strip plugged into it, which has 2 1-spots, a 12v trogotronic power supply, the digitech xp-1000 power supply, the other trogotronic's (very high voltage) power supply, and the amp's power cord. Having said all that, I guess what I'm wondering is: Is this the cause of my troubles or should I start to look elsewhere, for faulty patch cables and the like? help
Pockets McCoy
Well, I figured out what was wrong, and it seems like it's something that would be a pretty easy quasi-mistake to make, so I'll just put the word out: Don't try to power Moogerfoogers with the 1-Spot reverse polarity jack adapters (even though 1-Spot suggests using them). I don't know why, and I don't know how it fails to work, but I busted out another power strip for their individual adapters, and now everything's wonderful again. Not to bash 1-Spot by any means at all...I still love them to death, and I still use 3 of them, but they just don't happen to be the right way to make Moogers foog. Snowman
Muff Wiggler
sweet! glad you got it sorted and thanks for the 'fooger tip!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1