Combat the stack

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, anthonybisset

megaohm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Combat the stack

Post by megaohm » Sun May 29, 2011 2:51 pm

It was mentioned how banana stacks can get in the way and force patch breakages when you need to repatch a connection that lies in mid stack.
A. Bisset mentioned the old Serges that had dual outs in places. That sounds like a nice feature but tough to implement in newer finished and non-DIY modules.
Another suggestion was to use the Pomona patch plugs that allow stacking on top and the sides.
What I'd like to add is this:
You can effectively remove the entire stack from the panel. Use one patchcord for your input/output whatever you need to mult/stack. Assemble the stacks off panel. It helps to free up the controls for easier tweaking.
I realize this will not be a great alternative in some situations and setups but has worked well for me in the context of a small banana system.
www.MegaOhmAudio.com

Will work for pistachios

anthonybisset
a point to make

Post by anthonybisset » Sun May 29, 2011 9:28 pm

I read this one a few times before I grokked it. I'll have to give it a try and see how it feels. Definitely a path less traveled. It's always cool to rethink physical terms into new workflows. Keeps the brain flexible.
Improvising in it's purest form - (thinking).

Thanks for stripping away the illusion that the panel is the only place cables should be connected while patching!

Your technique makes me think of patching thin air.

I've considered tying rf transmitters & receivers to each module and simply tuning the modules into each other, but it has a lot of negatives...
- No visual signal flow indicators
- Limited bandwidth
- Limited channels/frequencies
- inefficient use of power
- etc

On the other hand it's really kinky. Having radio dials and constant static on dead air. This architecture might be the ultimate noise rig. Instead of defaulting to silence it would always be in chaos until you did something intentional.

Back into combat,
:guinness:

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Sun May 29, 2011 9:59 pm

call me silly but i have passive banana mults in my perfomance case

i dont like to stack as i find stacking hard to comprehend when im tracing patches. also multiples allow you to extend the length of your cables - it is rather useful when im patching between my main cases and my performance case.

..and yeah.. trying to unpatch a cable which is buried in a stack is a buzz kill (literally)

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”