MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Has anybody ever made a multi-dimensional wavetable?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Has anybody ever made a multi-dimensional wavetable?
CursedFrogurt
I'm just curious. It's easiest to think of wavetables in two dimensions, but since it's just samples and addressing, I don't see why you couldn't have a three or four (or more!) dimensional wavetable for timbral modulation bliss. It really wouldn't surprise me if people have done it on their own in software, but I was just curious if it's ever found its way into a production instrument. I could see it implemented in a logical way, with each axis controlling its own element such as overall wave family, harmonic content, filter cutoff, amplitude, and recreate a complex-vco > vcf > vca patch all in a table, but I could also imagine the multiple axes used in completely mental ways. Anyway, just a thought. Maybe I'll finally learn how to use puredata and try it out myself.
Bricks
I've been thinking about this myself - the possibilities start to make my head explode. I'm imagining ridiculous FM tables..

I'm sure someone must have done something like this already though?

Also, I've never really understood the difference between
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_synthesis

and wavetable synthesis. Is vector synthesis just implying a 2 axis system?
wavecircle
Vector synthesis is based on having sounds located in "corners". The Vector is effectively a 4 way blend/mix/crossfade of sounds, adjusting the mix of sounds dependent on position within the "vector".

3d wavetables are very easily created in practice, the problem is that most wavetables have some sort of theme or progression to them, this would be very difficult to achieve in 16^3 (4096 samples) table or cube. You can have 16 successive sounds in one bank, have 16 sets of banks and then have 16 sets of sets. Whether or not this would sound good would really be dependent on the construction and ordering the sounds, banks and sets. It's really a question of hierarchy management I suppose.
dude
i think it might necessitate the use of a time machine for best implementation.

fm back to the future

or

the fm matrix
cbm
Sometimes this sort of thing is called wave-terrain synthesis.

David Wessel of CNMAT has been working on "timbre spaces" which are timbres laid out in n-dimensional space.
aethersprite
dude wrote:
i think it might necessitate the use of a time machine for best implementation.

fm back to the future

or

the fm matrix

POTM?
Veqtor
I have also been considering this... Could be cool I guess, one thing that strikes me as a obvious extension of 2-d morphing is a 3rd dimension that has cyclic varations, like two detuned saws cannot be described as a one cycle-waveform, this is true for a lot of different waveforms like pseduo-random noise etc. Another great dimension would be the amount of overtones/partials, so you could sweep the sound from a sine into the full sound. A multi-dimensional wavetable osc would be great if the dimensions were implemented in a way that makes sense.
deastman
Sounds like the next Harvestman or Make Noise module... "String Theory".

Or maybe "String Cheese"! lol
Cat-A-Tonic
Morphing Terrarium has X, Y, & Z axes.
I don't own one. So I am not sure,
but I think this is like addressing one point in a cubical space.
It certainly does fit the name if I'm grokking it correctly.

Alesis Air Synth has X, Y, & Z axes too,
but you have to use your hands instead of CV.
Mitchk1989
No, the Z morph on the morphing terrarium picks an entirely seperate wave for the second output, and works like a PPG or waldorf wavetable synth by scanning the whole bank sequentially. Meanwhile the X-Y output and morphs allow for 2 dimensional scanning around a square table of waveforms.
oooooooooooooooo now add rene
X + Y and the CV can be Z
Cat-A-Tonic
Mitchk1989 wrote:
No, the Z morph on the morphing terrarium picks an entirely seperate wave for the second output, and works like a PPG or waldorf wavetable synth by scanning the whole bank sequentially. Meanwhile the X-Y output and morphs allow for 2 dimensional scanning around a square table of waveforms.

Thanks for the explanation.
So the XY output is not related to the Z output aside from freqency control.
Does this mean that the MT is like 2 wavetables at the same time?
Mitchk1989
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Mitchk1989 wrote:

Thanks for the explanation.
So the XY output is not related to the Z output aside from freqency control.
Does this mean that the MT is like 2 wavetables at the same time?

It's more like how on most analog oscs you have multiple waveform outputs even though its only one oscillator.
Carci
Wavetable is 2d because "table" is 2d.
Someone please make a Wavesphere/wavecube/wavetruncatedicosaedron with dedicated 3d controller/visualizer.

Thanks.
amsonx
wavecircle wrote:
Vector synthesis is based on having sounds located in "corners". The Vector is effectively a 4 way blend/mix/crossfade of sounds, adjusting the mix of sounds dependent on position within the "vector".

The Korg Wavestation A/D do Vector synthesis and has a nice little joystick to blend/mix/fade the wave.
wavecircle
amsonx wrote:
wavecircle wrote:

The Korg Wavestation A/D do Vector synthesis and has a nice little joystick to blend/mix/fade the wave.

Prophet VS too.
Mitchk1989
Carci wrote:
Wavetable is 2d because "table" is 2d.
Someone please make a Wavesphere/wavecube/wavetruncatedicosaedron with dedicated 3d controller/visualizer.

Thanks.

most wavetables are actually 1D where you select a table which contains a ton of waveforms in a linear single-line ordering which can be swept through an envelope or whatever, but only in a fixed order. It's only in modulars where I've encountered the X+Y axis 2d wavetables.
wintchil
If someone were to make a wave cube it would be cool to define how big you want the cube to be or even better modulate it in real time to go form say a 4d cube to a 10d cube with a square modulator.
e-grad
Mitchk1989 wrote:
most wavetables are actually 1D where you select a table which contains a ton of waveforms in a linear single-line ordering which can be swept through an envelope or whatever, but only in a fixed order.

I think that any wavetable is 2D bcs. it consists of single waveforms which necessarily have two axes: x = space (a.k.a. location); y = amplitude.

Oldstench
e-grad, the wave itself is always going to be defined as a 2d function, but the wave table is going to be 1-d (linear sweeping through 1 bank) or 2-d (sweeping through hither and yon in the PH for instance), or n-d (sweeping through the wave terrain concept decribed by cbm).
igormpc
wave terrain? 2x 250e hihi
e-grad
@Oldstench, thanks! Late but I've got it now! It's motherfucking bacon yo
fluxmonkey
grant richter has been working on a wave-terrain oscillator design for a number of years, sometimes referred to as the Walkabout Osc. i believe he had a working prototype at one point. check the archives of the Wiard yahoo group.
CursedFrogurt
fluxmonkey wrote:
grant richter has been working on a wave-terrain oscillator design for a number of years, sometimes referred to as the Walkabout Osc. i believe he had a working prototype at one point. check the archives of the Wiard yahoo group.

Totally not surprising, as Grant has repeatedly demonstrated himself as the coolest fucking person alive. That's right, even including David Bowie and Danzig.
widdly
I've played around with wave terrain oscillators in csound and, maybe it's just me, but it all sounded pretty much like ring modulation.

The metasurface in Audiomulch is an interesting take on an XY controller. A bunch of presets are placed as single points on a 2D surface. Then moving around the surface interpolates between all the parameters of all the presets. Much more interesting than the usual one parameter on the X and one on the Y.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2