MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Need HTML help for the site
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Epinasty  
Author Need HTML help for the site
tragedybysyntax
Hey guys, just looking for some advice how to fix an irk of mine on the website. (www.EPINASTY.com) Once the site loads, after you click to a different link at the bottom... it reloads all the jpg's blocky. Is there a cleaner way of doing this the right way? THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE. I love doing graphics... just never got serious about html, haha.
ignatius
what do you mean "blocky"? looked fine to me.

ps - i can make HTML links and that's about it so have no idea if you are speaking a programmerese
tragedybysyntax
Well.. the links at the bottom are the last thing to load as you navigate from page to page. Hmmmmmm
haiku-ish
You must use the same images for the whole menu.

go in every page and point the image of each menu to the same unique image (ie Past-Work.jpg for all the Past-Work menus)
maskull
haiku-ish wrote:
You must use the same images for the whole menu.

go in every page and point the image of each menu to the same unique image (ie Past-Work.jpg for all the Past-Work menus)

I agree.

You are reloading some images over and over again using different files which is choking the bandwidth.

For instance on your main image you have only your logo loading here:

http://www.epinasty.com/pastimages2/past_01.jpg

This is a good idea since you will be reusing the same image and placement on the rest of the pages. No need to reload it again.

But elsewhere you reload the logo again with additional graphics so the entire page has to reload, not just the new stuff. See images below

http://www.epinasty.com/servicesimages/services_01.jpg
and
http://www.epinasty.com/contactimages/contact_01.jpg
and
http://www.epinasty.com/aboutimages/about_01.jpg
etc

Also, see if you can do any additional image optimization to reduce the file sizes.
JP
Just as a note your site uses mostly images for the text, images can't be parsed by engines like google, so your search listing rank will suffer (badly) due to the use of only images.

I know it might not seem like a big deal, but getting 1 or 2 hits a week from potential customers who searched for "custom hand etched modular panels" might mean 1 or 2 customers lost a week.

PM me if you have any other things you need help with, I do this for a day job for fortune 500 companies. wink
TrashWaveform
To turn the image text to actual text here is a short tip. I assume you have Photoshop. Use the splice tool to make the text boxes a separate image. Remove the text in the image. Export them for the web. In the code for the HTML document it exports make that box image a 1 cell table with the border attribute set to 0 and the width and height attributes the image's size attributes. Make the image it exported the background. Now you can put whatever text you want in it.

Obviously too much text or if someones browser changing the size could break your layout. But it is a start. When I do this I try to make the images on the left and right of my "content area" tile vertically in a visual pleasing way for this reason. You would need to do the same for the content background as well. But CSS is your friend and you would be able to do all I told you in a more efficient manner even with an actual transparent cell.

If you can find a good web design class that covers CSS extensively at a community college or an equivalent that lets you take only that class or min hours it will be worth every penny.
TrashWaveform
Oh and I am not calling your design bad by telling you to take a class. Just telling you an excellent way to extend your web arsenal of knowledge.
tragedybysyntax
Thanks guys!!!! Let me try these fixes tonight and I'll letya know how it goes. Updating the photo galleries as well... smile
tragedybysyntax
The problem is that.... this entire site is designed in Illustrator, with each chunk being loaded for each section. Freaking hate making websites.....haha
qu.one
Illustrator can also work with slices and export for web. Use type that is web safe for tour live type when you convert to live type. And yeah - keep the images common for the overall main look of the site: headers, menus, etc.

You might want to make one page in illustrator, slice it up into a neat table, and use that as a master template in an HTML editor.
ignatius
tragedybysyntax wrote:
Well.. the links at the bottom are the last thing to load as you navigate from page to page. Hmmmmmm

ah. OK. i see what you're saying. i hate making websites too.

seems like you have some solutions here from other wigglers.
tragedybysyntax
working on the site tonight again wink
tragedybysyntax
Aight well... I f'ng have no time to work on the site, hahaha. I keep trying.. and by the time I finally get into finding all the files and going back thru shit, I realize i'm a month behind on projects and need to be out in the shop.

SO!!!!!!!!! Would anybody be interested in having some metal work done in exchange for some web time to figure out my html disaster? That would be soooooooo cool you have no idea how much I would appreciate it.

I'd like to add an area to order coffee mugs and t-shirts as well wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Epinasty  
Page 1 of 1