live friendly modules

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, anthonybisset

jeanclaudevanlee
Common Wiggler

live friendly modules

Post by jeanclaudevanlee » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:38 am

i think i have most fun here using a VCOs, PPs and tiny cross-fader module for LFO and LP/HP filtering. i'm also thinking about adding Matrix Mixer at some point.

and what works for you live?

playing solo modular sets without any laptop around is still a chalange.
but yes, gets better with time and help of few nice modules :)

Reptil
In space no one can hear you wiggle

Post by Reptil » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:10 am

MPC or other capable midi sequencer & midi-cvgate converter & modular
that's my solution

:tu:

jimmyambulance
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jimmyambulance » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:13 am

choices + rene

Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Veqtor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:29 am

Makenoise René is great for live work although it requires some practice.

I'm hoping the VCA matrix could be a great companion, also I would think the cylonix cyclebox could be quite useful for live work, basically any module that has controls that can be tweaked without ruining the whole patch is great.

jbartee
special stage

Post by jbartee » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:37 am

I live and die by my Mutagen. The easy muting is great for building up / breaking down a track and doing nice drops, like soloing just the snare before introducing a bass line, or lingering on a quiet sine wave before assaulting people with blasts of white noise freakouts. Takes a little bit of practice to get the timing right like any other sort of non-quantized DJ-ing. Also the multiple busses are great for que-ing up a headphone mix before sending something to the house.

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:28 am

For me there are two aspects:

self-contained systems that reduce patch-salad like the Wogglebug & 4MS SCM. I like patch-programmabily and 'open' modules, but not live ;)

modules that make life easy, for example by having input or output attenuators.

Other than that, dual modules are handy (VCO-2RM, HD, A-133) as are LEDs!

Special mention goes to the Sport Modulator - having two clocks that you can turn on and off is a god-send.

nickciontea
brownshoesonly

Post by nickciontea » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:50 am

CLOCKWORK

VCOs with octave switches

mutes (mutagen)

switches.. passive or active/cv

Carci
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carci » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:04 am

Eurorack modules I LOVE using live :

Cwejman MX4S for the bargraph !
Flame Tame machine for the mini keyboard with LEDs (that means visual feedback on your quantizer) and tap tempo.
Make noise PP²+BRAINS <3
f(h) Choices, joystick + super handy pushbutton
Doepfer A178 Theremin, simple and kinda spectacular CV/gate source
TURTLE project : http://vimeo.com/23648701
http://www.facebook.com/TURTLEPROJECT

FS : Doepfer MCV24 - Eowave Ringobug - Cwejman PH4 and more eurocrack
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 30#3046530

aethersprite
Wiggling with Expedience

Post by aethersprite » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:13 pm

nickciontea wrote:CLOCKWORK
:tu: the beat division index switches are the win

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:31 pm

MFB SEQ-1 or 2 as master controller. And whaddya know - it has a start and stop button. A necessity for me if I'm doing all modular.

I do like my Mutagen, but in a dense patch, it can be hard to really "play" with everything patched. A small 8 channel mackie or equivalent is really best for muting and channel control.

Depending on how many sounds you've got coming from the modular, and how you use it (drones or tonal) will depend on how many VCAs and envelopes you need.

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:17 am

anything that fits it in a MakeNoise Skiff!!!!

:bananaguitar:

cheers,
n7
"knowledge has to be organized so it can be taught, and it has to be reduced to information so it can be organized do you follow that? in other words this leads you to assume that organization is an inherent property of knowledge itself, and that disorder and chaos are simply irrelevant forces that threaten it from outside. in fact it's exactly the opposite. order is simply a thin, perilous condition we try to impose on the basic reality of chaos..." --william gaddis

Steevio
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Steevio » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:56 pm

A182-1 switched multiples --lots of them

A185-2 precision adders --lots of them

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:51 am

I had not seen this sub forum before! About time - performance modules are my passion. I'm bias of course but I can suggest any of these:

Not to mention the SP-1P and FSR-2P, our new low cost passive modules - And you can see they are all skiff friendly (except the FSR-4 Classic - get the MkII)

-James
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:03 pm

james... what would it take to get frac versions of any of these?
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Make Noise - Pressure Points
Flight of Harmony - Choices
Pittsburgh - Audiomixer Attenuator and Outs
Tiptop Audio - Z8000
Doepfer - A-143-1, A-119

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:33 pm

fluxmonkey wrote:james... what would it take to get frac versions of any of these?
For the passive ones not much - just the panel is all you would need. The passive versions are very simple to make yourself, if you have the panel that is.
As far as the others go it is basically a panel thing again. I am not to hip on the dimensional differences between Euro and Frac but most of our stuff is as small as we can make it in Euro. The mounting screws in Frac seem closer to the center of the panel so the boards may have to be shifted in the panel and that may or may not work. I don't know the Frac power structure either bit Euro is +/-12v and if Frack is +/-15V than adjustments would have to be made there too. Power connectors/adaptors would probably fix that. For larger formats like 5U it would almost be easier - a panel with the power cable adaptor/converter and a hole the right size and bob's your uncle...

Actually the best way is to buy the euro ones and use them in a skiff - forget putting them in your main cabinet. Just connect them to it. The CVs and Gates are compatible. You'll want them in a skiff anyway and they are SO easy to make. I made those with some spare plexiglas and some old schroff rails. Buy some rails from TipTop or Elby and roll your own skiff. I power the active one off the main supply in the cabinet but with so many other options available now it is pretty easy to make a self powered one. Then you can wear it around your neck by adding some guitar strap buttons on it.
-James
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).

Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Low-Gain » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:45 pm

clarke68
Making DIY modulars look cool since 2011

Post by clarke68 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:03 am

ersatzplanet wrote: You'll want them in a skiff anyway and they are SO easy to make. I made those with some spare plexiglas and some old schroff rails. Buy some rails from TipTop or Elby and roll your own skiff.
Hey James,

at some point I thought you posted some plans/a diagram/etc. on how you made your plexi endpieces. Is that still around (or can you make it so)? I know it's basically just "how far from the corners do I drill the holes for the rails", but it was super helpful.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:39 am

clarke68 wrote:Hey James,

at some point I thought you posted some plans/a diagram/etc. on how you made your plexi endpieces. Is that still around (or can you make it so)? I know it's basically just "how far from the corners do I drill the holes for the rails", but it was super helpful.
I did, but that drawing was for some old Schroff rails that I had and those were not in production anymore. The rails offered by different companies don't have the same end-hole placement as each other which adds to the hassle. I am about to contact the Elby guys to get the profile dimensions of his rails cause they are the closest to my old rails (but have two end holes which is vey nice for stability and alignment - and they are very affordable). Here is a newer design based on the TipTop Z-rails. This particular drawing has them at their smallest size of around 1.65" internal dimensions. As you can see it is pretty easy to spread those apart and make it as deep as you want with the addition of side panels (shown in red in the drawing) that slide in the slots in the extrusion and fill the gaps. I chose to use 4 rails in this to make it easier to build. The back panel is just a full width blank panel like the Doepfer A-100b84 which you can get for $22 from AH (they even have one with the power outlet on it for $50). with this design you can easily make a skiff of any depth you want. And it will be sturdy too.

I made mine out of some spare plexiglas but of course wood would work as well. I went as far as designing a Front Panel Express metal side panel out of the thickest aluminum they have (10mm - ~0.4" thick) which may be overkill. They were not cheap - around $29 each and you have to buy at least 5 of them. I made this with counter-sunk holes for the end bolts I have on hand so that may have to be adjusted if you use another size but here is that file too.

-James

The filler panels can be anything you want. I have some nice thin formica that is easy to cit and may use that. Thin plexiglas would also work - you can get pretty disco with some LEDs in there. Anyway - post what you make!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-James

clarke68
Making DIY modulars look cool since 2011

Post by clarke68 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:53 am

Exactly what I needed...thanks James!

valis
aliens killed bigfoot

Post by valis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm a DIY guy but I like my live modules to be simple and with led indicators for CV ins and out. I use my CGS utility LFO a lot which is a terrific utility LFO. Mixers are oh-so handy. I also use a the RLPG and CGS VCF a lot to filter internal and external sound sources. I'm also a fan of the digital noise for nice noise sweeps and controlled pulses. MMM's ENV follower is also very handy (as is MFOS's dual VCA).

I also use the Wogglebug when I want some randomness/drones/wonkiness.

What I don't use very often, I've found, are my VCOs. I used to FM them a lot live but it wasn't quite working for me. My analog sequencer is too big to bring along and I find it kind of awkward to use live. I used random voltage for the VCOs some but the it just wasn't sounding right. For my last performance the "controlled" sound sources was my JV-2080 and a SP-303. It sounded pretty good although I sometimes do miss the sound of a nice lead VCO.

I think my next project is going to be a 2u or 4u rack with a couple of modules that I'd use often. I decided that my last performance was going to be the last one where I hauled out my big cabinet.

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vmgas » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:31 pm

hexzone
blacet i/o

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”