MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Waldorf Microwave / XT filters
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Waldorf Microwave / XT filters
sascha.victoria
The Micorwave I has analog filters. Does the II have analog filters? Does the XT/XTK have analog filters? Does it matter? Discuss...
Christopher Winkels
It's my understanding that only the Mk. 1 has analogue filters. The monster Wave also them though.

Having never owned anything other than a Mk. 1 it would not be my place to comment on their relative qualities. The first generation one does sound great though.
fac
The Wave and MW1 do have analog filters, whereas the MW2 and XT/XTk do not.

AFAIK, the MW1 filters are low-pass only (not sure about the Wave), whereas the MW2/XT/XTk digital filters have bunch of cool modes; not only the typical LP/BP/HP (in 2 and 4-pole versions) but also waveshaping filters, filters with FM, and other fun stuff. Also, besides the main filter, the MW2/XT/XTk has a second low-order LP/HP filter for extra tone shaping. To me, that alone makes the later microwaves more desirable than the MW1... especially if the MW1 filters are anything like the Pulse filter (i.e., not so great).
Christopher Winkels
fac wrote:
The Wave and MW1 do have analog filters, whereas the MW2 and XT/XTk do not.

AFAIK, the MW1 filters are low-pass only

Correct.

Quote:

especially if the MW1 filters are anything like the Pulse filter (i.e., not so great).

There are actually two versions of the MW1, both by CEM (the 3389 in the earliest ones, and later a 3387). I've only played with the 3387 version, but I'm fond of the sound.

The Pulse by contrast uses CA3046 transistor arrays for the filter, so it stands to reason that should sound different. I'm in agreement with you that the Pulse is a less than stellar synth.
bf
The microwave I has analog filters (24dB lowpass only) and VCAs. The microwave II is all digital with a much more versatile multi-mode filter with modes going well beyond simple LP/HP/BP types. Think of the XT as a μWave II with a UI leaning more toward the knob per function end (they share the same OS, though the XT may have a few additional features). The II/XT is more versatile but looses the character of the analog filters on the I. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as there is a place for both. I would say that neither would disappoint and both the I and the II/XT offer an interesting spin on a wavetable synth to make owning both not as redundant as you might think.
I recall seeing an interesting comparison video on youtube you may want to look up.
baltimoroder
pretty much what fac said.

the waveshping filter is brutal.

theres a s&h filter that sounds like a bitcrusher.

the fm filter was my favorite.

i thought those filters were bs for over a year until i learned they had their own depth parameter d'oh!
Nelson Baboon
Christopher Winkels wrote:
It's my understanding that only the Mk. 1 has analogue filters. The monster Wave also them though.

Having never owned anything other than a Mk. 1 it would not be my place to comment on their relative qualities. The first generation one does sound great though.

This is a bit confusing because there is a microwave I and II, but there is a version 1 and 2 of the microwave 1. All microwave I's have analog filters. All subsequent microwaves have digital filters.
Nelson Baboon
The sweet spots in the mwI to my ears had a very special grunge and overall sound that the mw2 couldn't equal. However, those sweet spots aren't as easy to get to as the very wide (to my ears) sweet spot on the mw2 (and xt, of course). The interface on the mw2 is miles better, and the interface on the xt is naturally better than the mw2 because of all of the knobs. And the mod routings on the 2 series are a lot more extensive.

A few years ago I picked up a mw1 because I had remembered being able to get amazing sounds out of it. I found it a total pain to edit. I don't have the patience for that shit anymore. I can see myself picking up an xt again at some point.
bf
While still far short of the XT as far as immediate control, one of these does help greatly.
sascha.victoria
So is the mkI more like a rack mount PPG Wave? Because that would be rather magical.

Are there any recommended editors for the Wave I or II? Those versions don't seem very user friendly as is.
Illiac
seconded what baltimoroder said: the xt has the best/ craziest digital filters I ever used. i miss them.
REwire
This video cemented my choice as to which one to get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l_2krPHu5Q&feature=fvsr

I got my Microwave 1Rev 2.0 last week and glad I did. I had an XT a few years ago and consider it the worse VA I've ever had. After having a Prophet VS and a few other digitals with analog filters, I'm convinced digital filters are the weak link in VA's these days. That's why the DSI stuff sounds good and digital oscs sound good in modular.

I use MidiQuest to edit the MW and it's always been the best editor for me.

Dan
Nelson Baboon
That demo is terrible as a real comparison between the 2, I think. The mw1 does the sounds that it does well better than the mw2 - but the mod routings especially on the mw2 allow it to do crazy stuff that you can't do on the mw1. If you're into that wavetable with analog filter sound, and don't care about the user interface, the mw1 is the obvious choice. If you want a much more adventurous synth, get the mw2, or better, the xt.

REwire wrote:
This video cemented my choice as to which one to get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l_2krPHu5Q&feature=fvsr

I got my Microwave 1Rev 2.0 last week and glad I did. I had an XT a few years ago and consider it the worse VA I've ever had. After having a Prophet VS and a few other digitals with analog filters, I'm convinced digital filters are the weak link in VA's these days. That's why the DSI stuff sounds good and digital oscs sound good in modular.

I use MidiQuest to edit the MW and it's always been the best editor for me.

Dan
REwire
Nelson Baboon wrote:
That demo is terrible as a real comparison between the 2, I think. The mw1 does the sounds that it does well better than the mw2 - but the mod routings especially on the mw2 allow it to do crazy stuff that you can't do on the mw1. If you're into that wavetable with analog filter sound, and don't care about the user interface, the mw1 is the obvious choice. If you want a much more adventurous synth, get the mw2, or better, the xt

That video was useful enough to show that the MW2 cannot handle the deep thumpy and percussive elements of those patches. I listened to plenty of other demos of each and with the MW2 I did not hear anything you can't get in a Virus TI or Radius. I did get the Waldorf Largo VSTi for that Waldorf digital experience and I can't really say it's any worse than the XT.

D
Nelson Baboon
ok. whatever. Demos don't always provide the whole story, but I'm not arguing with your demo experience. People usually demo certain types of sounds, etc.

Obviously the mw1 is better for the sounds you're looking for. I found the xt to be much more interesting than Largo or the Blofeld - some of that is the interface, but some of it is that the prettied up the sound a bit too much. The only one of the synths you mention that I'd ever touch again except under duress would be the xt.

REwire wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
That demo is terrible as a real comparison between the 2, I think. The mw1 does the sounds that it does well better than the mw2 - but the mod routings especially on the mw2 allow it to do crazy stuff that you can't do on the mw1. If you're into that wavetable with analog filter sound, and don't care about the user interface, the mw1 is the obvious choice. If you want a much more adventurous synth, get the mw2, or better, the xt

That video was useful enough to show that the MW2 cannot handle the deep thumpy and percussive elements of those patches. I listened to plenty of other demos of each and with the MW2 I did not hear anything you can't get in a Virus TI or Radius. I did get the Waldorf Largo VSTi for that Waldorf digital experience and I can't really say it's any worse than the XT.

D
suitandtieguy
none of my XTK patches i've made so far use the filter at all. i'm mostly interested in the harsh brutality of the wavetables themselves.
stk
Nothing much to add, except that I really miss my XT. Awesomely unique synth.

Oh, and also one of you manufacturers need to get some of that shamelessly digital filtering action into a module. Fuck analogue, I want to know my modules are digi love
kindredlost
suitandtieguy wrote:
none of my XTK patches i've made so far use the filter at all. i'm mostly interested in the harsh brutality of the wavetables themselves.

This.

I've used the filters to a fault on the Waldorf stuff, but it's the wavetable stepping that makes these what they are. The same philosophy in a different way for the FIZMO.

I've never owned a PPG Wave 2 but have always lusted for one for precisely the same reason. Some people detest Tangerine Dream's "Exit" and "White Eagle" but to me those are classic releases that highlight the wavetable sound (which I love).

Of course this is entirely off the main thread. Can we get a "de-railing" emoticon? Maybe a drunk engineer graphic.
computer controlled
I just want to get my mwII fixed waah
Hi5
+1 for the XT

still regret selling mine.
CZ Rider
Anybody remember the Microwave PC?

I think mine is just about obsolete as it needs a win98 OS to run it.
Never could figure out how to convert the single patches or banks to my MW2. Only 10 voices on the MW PC, and the same digital filters. Had an editor that could select between the MW2 and MWXT GUI for making patches.
baltimoroder
CZ Rider wrote:
Anybody remember the Microwave PC?

I do. thumbs up

Still have mine. If you wanna future-proof it a bit more, grab a Terratec 6Fire PCI card and run Windows XP.
joey
I just picked up another XT thanks to this thread ( I used to have an XTk). spent 3 hours last night just playing it.... i cant believe I ever sold this thing, just fucking amazing!

easily my favorite digital filter
RustyO
My take/advice has always been MkI for the analogue filters, or the XT for the digital filters + controls... skip the mkII

Personally, I go with the XT, love them, got two of them hihi

Thinking of selling one, and/or would like to get an XTk

stk wrote:
Nothing much to add, except that I really miss my XT. Awesomely unique synth.

Dude? How could you.
lilakmonoke
the folks over at cntrlr.org are busy developing editors take a look at the microwave II one:

i also think the 8bit wavetables are the main deal with these great synths not the filters.

that being said my favourite in that department is the no filter kawai k1 - i just stack voices and run it through my modular filters. its about the only digital synth that has enough guts to face a modular!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3