MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

reasons for frac
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author reasons for frac
incekt
i may be a stupid idiot for asking this question,... but please forgive me...
i started out with a dot com and motm modular... after using a 3 panel system live for a couple years i sold it and was weighing the options between euro and frac... i would like to know why you guys have chosen this path over the euro... help
plord
The reasons are less sllightly compelling now than they once were. When I chose Frac as my secondary format (while waiting for the Wiard), you could get a bunch of unique and awesome modules in Frac, like:
* the Encore freq shifter (no Euro)
* Wiard 1200 series (no Euro)
* Bananalogue VCS/WVX/3p (also in Euro)
* Livewire Frequensteiner (also in Euro but, doesn't sound as good on 12V as on 15V! smile )

...none of which seems to be in production anymore, so they're only (rarely) available on the used market. When it comes to innovative new unorthodox modules, Euro format has the advantage these days.

But here are some good reasons to stick with Frac:
* Blacet designs offer incredible bang for the buck and are as reliable and great sounding as anything out there.
* The entire Metalbox line is awesome. It offers logic and CV manipulation modules that you can't get elsewhere without DIYing it, and the drum modules rip the collective face off anything similar in the Euro world. Did I mention they're awesome? They're awesome.
* Krisp will make you a frac version of almost anything in the Oakley line.
* STG has awesome stuff including the Mankato, Wave Folder, and his own Arp filter.
* A frac rack and Blacet PS-500 is what, 1/3 the cost of a Euro rack and PS.
* Your Frac power supply will also power MOTM modules and most DIY.

Euro is going to be smaller, lighter, and denser on average, cheaper some of the time, and seems to have more new manufacturers building for it. Either one is going to give you a goof platform for making music.

my late night opinion...
Kent
Plord hit the nail on the head here.

I'll add that I don't see a reason to restrict yourself to any format though. I'm rolling with a Frac & Euro hybrid.
NV
Kent makes a great point - mixing and matching modular formats is a wonderful approach. One of the benefits of Frac is that it is very easy and affordable to build just one small rack, whereas with other formats it's not quite so simple. As such, you could always have a powerful Euro system and then add one extra rack of Frac with a dedicated Blacet supply (or DIY one) and it won't leave you feeling like you blew significant time and money for only a few modules.
eyehue
frac can be more appealing to DIYers who like to build kits. PAiA and Blacet have both been offering lines and systems of frac module kits for years now.
Babaluma
i preferred the look and had heard a lot of negative stuff about doepfer when i started building my system 6 or 7 years ago. the final thing that decided it for me was the end of run dark star chaos 2000, my first frac module!
e-grad
I used to have a lot euro modules (basically Doepfer). When I started with one G6 frame it was fine for me. However once I had 3 G6 frames it absolutely drove me nuts. Back then when I started I thought cool being able to place that many modules in one frame however it has turned out for me that it is way too crowded.

Today I still have some euro modules but prefer frac bcs. I think it takes a good advantage of rack space while offering a good user interface at the same time.

Even though on rare occasions I’ve thought the frac format constraining when designing panels for some of my DIY stuff.

As already mentioned by others Blacet offers a lot! Very flexible and well elaborated modules! Add some MOTM modules in frac, be patient with a Wiard 1200 order (AFAIK Grant still builds them) and frac can be the format to go. Especially since Paul/Krisp1 build Oakley in frac.

I just have build one Oakley S&H which is plain great. I’ll never again think a S&H routine!

BTW I never had quality issues with Doepfer.
cebec
plord wrote:

But here are some good reasons to stick with Frac:...

Add to that --

* several MOTM modules are available in Frac
* BugBrand modules are Frac and include the Weevil VCO, LPGs, PTDelay and other module 'types' unique to his line.
parasitk
Babaluma wrote:
i preferred the look and had heard a lot of negative stuff about doepfer when i started building my system 6 or 7 years ago.

Similar here.

Plus the cost of entry was so much lower, and at that time the modules that were exciting to me were Frac only, much like Plord said (Wiard and Blacet stuff – although I never actually did snag an Encore FS d'oh!).

Now that Euro has Make Noise, Harvestman, Livewire, etc., it's become more interesting than it was. Still too expensive for a freaking subrack and PSU. But now I'm just not interested in the format.

I have to say, I really love my modular. I love how it functions, how it looks, and most importantly, how it sounds. It's mostly Blacet, with Wiard, Bananalogue, and STG stuff in there. But it really makes me happy.
tragedybysyntax
Yeah... I started off getting frac. I absolutely LOVE my frac system. Still tying up a few DIY things and waiting for 2 modules to fill up my 12U of it but.... it makes me really happy as well.

I have however started a euro rack as well and I think both really complement each other. I'm a bastid and started a 3rd format (modcan a) but at the heart of the matter... the frac system is my baby and the rest are illegitimate children who terrorize my one and only kid, lol.
Kwote
got turned on to doepfer but couldn't afford it. discovered frac awhile later and couldn't resist. been hooked ever since. don't see much reason to go format hopping but that's pretty much just me. although if the time and money is ever right i'll get some wiard 300 to go with my 310A controller smile

also the diy aspect is awesome. blacet being my only actual building experience thus far but it knocks down the price significantly which aside from buying used is great for a broke ass loser like me razz
Cat-A-Tonic
I agree! with pretty much everything you guys said.
I feel redundant coming in to the thread so late.

Frac seemed to have a lower cost of entry and of expansion (especially if taking the DIY or kit route).

I wanted to learn some DIY skills so that I can maintain my system in the future if anything needs fixing,
because I love learning DIY anything (electronics, woodworking, printmaking, sewing...),
and so I could eventually build some of the modules that are only available as PCBs (the synth DIY community rules!) after getting comfortable with building Blacet kits.

The 'bread & butter' stuff just seems better in Frac especially when comparing cost/features.
The Blacet EG1 for example is a badass VC ADSR with insanely long events.

The sequencing options in Frac FTW in a very compact space IMO.

Frac and Euro each have alot of unique, and interesting modules that the other one doesn't...

BugBrand joining the ranks of Frac is an absolute game changer!
These modules fit just the right amount of features into wonderfully compact panels (better than most of the competition in Frac).
AND they're all really shallow just in case you want to slim down for portability.
With a regular Frac rack you can mount the power supply on the inside of the rack if you have enough shallow modules to go in front of it.

The regular width of the panels makes rearranging your system seem easier than the puzzle that is Euro.

I got 3 schroff racks for about $120 total (shipping included!) just in case the urge to start buying Euro overwhelms me (it's damn close).
I see no problem (other than the cost d'oh! ) of using more than one format especially when they are this compatible.
The only caveat is the unmatched levels between envelopes and VCAs between the 2 formats.
I thus plan to keep all my envelopes and VCAs in Frac, and use Euro only for its unique assets.
DGTom
The only gotcha for me with regards to Frac Vs. Euro is Makenoise... I may extend my 84HP of Euro just to get a QMMG.

For me Blacet modules are amazing! How many Doepfers would it take to re-create a Binary Zone!? There is just something special about all the modules really, the EG1 is inspired, the Micro LFO is such a cool device & the little 'extras' like being able to use the Dual Linear VCA as a mixer or Splitter - with VC.

I'm excited about building another 9U case & having loads of Metalbox modules in, but my all Blacet case is MAD powerfull!
eyehue
oh yea, as far as companies and customer service go, PAiA and Blacet are the best. PAiA and Blacet set the standard in those aspects and it's definitely a good reason to go with their format, frac. turnaround on an order is unmatched. availability for questions and service is unmatched.
Suburban Bather
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

The only caveat is the unmatched levels between envelopes and VCAs between the 2 formats.
I thus plan to keep all my envelopes and VCAs in Frac, and use Euro only for its unique assets.

I'm thinking about building a small Frac system for the sole purpose of sequencer add ons for my MFB Seq 1 and 2. Clock division, logic gates, etc... Will the difference in levels still work out between Euro and Frac for these modules?
DGTom
Suburban Bather wrote:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

I'm thinking about building a small Frac system for the sole purpose of sequencer add ons for my MFB Seq 1 and 2. Clock division, logic gates, etc... Will the difference in levels still work out between Euro and Frac for these modules?

I have no problems controlling my Fracs from the MFB seq'ers, I think the SEQ01 would only trigger the EG1 in AD mode untill I set the MFB to the highest trigger voltage output option.

I use the 01 triggers to clock 2 Binary Zones as well, works great. I'm pretty sure for logic stuff the differance in voltages won't really matter. Frac on SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
plord
CGS modules will trigger at anything above about 1.9 volts. The Blacet EG1 will trigger at anything above 0.6V according to the manual, so...aha!

You were having trouble triggering the EG1 in anything other than AD mode because (I'm guessing) in order to drive the ADSR and LFO settings on the EG1 you need to send it a gate. Triggers only work in AD mode, and I bet the SEQ01 sends triggers, don't it? Turning up the voltage had the side effect of allowing the EG1 to "see" a voltage above it's 0.6V threshold for long enough to parse it as a gate signal smile
DGTom
That is it exactally whats going on I rekon, I'm 'tricking' the EG into thinking the triggers are gates.

The Gate outputs on the SEQ02 work perfect for the EG1s in either mode as they are proper gates.

Shit, I should plug my CGS ASR in & see how the trig in on that goes with the MFBs, will report back.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1