Here's a live performance trio video

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Here's a live performance trio video

Post by Soy Sos » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:35 am

This is my first performance with 2 friends Dave Bernabo and Jeff Berman.
There's a little scrambling on my part to set up the patch for that piece,
but I think I got it together pretty quick. I did 4 patches over the course
of our 40 minute set.
[video][/video]

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:10 am

:yay: excellent performance - i particularly liked the vibe playing !

are you processing any of the accoustic instrument sound in your patch, btw?

it seems like with this stage setup you would be in a pretty good position to mix delay/reverb/distortion effects for the accoustic instuments, in addition to providing modular synth textures.

cheers,
n7
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:31 am

Hey! You know Dave Bernabo!
Dave helped a group of mine get a gig in Pittsburgh a year or 2 back. Super nice guy and it is always good to see him play.

If I could provide some constructive criticism at least from this clip I would say turn up your synth a little. I know when I play with acoustic performers I always error on the side of quiet as well.

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:06 am

Thanks folks
@numan7 - Not processing guitar or vibes yet. Jeff has a pickup system on the vibes but I want to work my way slowly into that and not get the setup too complex. I just want to enjoy playing at this point.

@Hi5 - Yeah, that setting was fairly chill. I had my own powered monitor and I was in the PA , but I asked them to keep me mellow in the mix. I'm easing into this trio situation and I want to play a more textural role. We sort of had the synth step out front at the end though. And yes, super nice guy is a good way to describe Dave Bernabo. Another way is super talented!

I've been performing out a lot with this system and I'm getting ready to rethink how to set up my case.

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Soy Sos wrote: I've been performing out a lot with this system and I'm getting ready to rethink how to set up my case.
Exactly! When I first got my modular together playing out quickly changed how I thought about what was useful or not. Now, the first question in my mind when looking at new gear is "how will this integrate live?"

I really should take videos of my jams and put them up here. On tues I played with Jeb Bishop(trombone), Jason Roebke(bass), and Paal Nilssen-Love(drums) and it got pretty loud a raucous. My worry always is the poor audio quality on my camera. I guess for short clips on the internet it is fine.

Carci
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carci » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Love it !
FS : Doepfer MCV24 - Eowave Ringobug

amphonic
Veteran Wiggler

Post by amphonic » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:59 am

I need to get out of the house more. The video looks great. I would love to see the entire set.

clarke68
Making DIY modulars look cool since 2011

Post by clarke68 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:00 pm

Thanks for posting, that is a mighty fine clip! Agree with Hi5 about your place in the mix...I totally understand wanting to ease in to the new setting, but I thought the part near the end where the synth came out more was awesome.
Hi5 wrote:I really should take videos of my jams and put them up here.
Yes, you should!

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”