MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The things people say
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author The things people say

electronicpresskit

This is the thread to post the stupid/hilarious things people say to you while playing out.

So I was playing for a house party and a few friends that make tracks (using FL studio/Reason) were there. Nobody could really make sense of what I was doing, so nobody could really venture an opinion...until one guy had an idea that everyone could understand, and he said "Oh man, this would sound great through a kaoss pad!" d'oh! and of course everyone knew what a kaoss pad was so they all agreed wholeheartedly!

Nothing against the kaoss pad, but running $25,000 of analogs through a $400 processor doesn't make much sense. hihi hihi

What's your story?

jenamu6

I was doing a live set a couple of years ago, when this boingboingboing head comes up to me and says:
"He.....you got to speed this shit up......it's too slow, I can't dance to this.
Seriously man, I kinda like what I'm hearing, but it's too fucking slow"

andrewF

my last gig, a guy came up to me at the end and said "I love you"

(I like to think my cacophony was some kind of a transcendent experience for him, rather than he was hoping to get into my pants)

and the 1st gig I did with Pinky, see pic, resulted in a girl with a Justin Bieber hair-do and big boots standing in front of me and glaring for 40 minutes. what could i do but tweak that joystick nipple some more?

Another gig with Pinky to a seated audience, about 120 people. I finished, there was some applause. when it died down avoice from the back shouts out -"What does the clitoris do?"

numan7

hmmm..... indeed, what does the clitoris do? confused

lol
cheers,
n7

Fnord

I've only played out like 2-3 times, years ago. Ran into a guy I had a class with once, drunk out of his skull and got "what the fuck kinda gear you got man, it's like you got a fucking modem with you".

Once had a bandmate who'd attach himself to one technical term and use it over and over again completely out of context. His favorite term: LFO.
As in, "that sound needs more LFO's man" and "what sort of LFO do we need to get a bass sound like that". I tried to explain the whole modulation thing, but the dude just wanted more lfo's.

andrewF

numan7 wrote:

lol
cheers,
n7

it sets the sequence length on a CGS gate sequencer

Another comment on Pinky from a girl - "Is it sexual?" d'oh!

megaohm

numan7 wrote:

lol
cheers,
n7

lolspew

drox

numan7 wrote:

lol
cheers,
n7

Im also intetested to find out smile

Just me

Once, while playing a show without the use of a keyboard and only using joysticks, ribbon and knobs, a guy came up at the end and said. "Wouldn't be cool if you could use a keyboard with that!?"

bf

Just me wrote:
Once, while playing a show without the use of a keyboard and only using joysticks, ribbon and knobs, a guy came up at the end and said. "Wouldn't be cool if you could use a keyboard with that!?"
To which you reply, "You should invent something like that!" hihi

John Nonjohn

This happened about 15 years ago: I was playing in a dive bar with this Classic Rock band I was in. I remember playing a Moog solo on The Cars - "Just what I needed". After the gig, this drunk guy was like, "Dude, that Minimoog sounded great". I just smiled and thanked him.

But, it wasn't a Minimoog that I played the solo on--it was a Moog, The Rogue!

dan_p

John Nonjohn wrote:
But, it wasn't a Minimoog that I played the solo on--it was a Moog, The Rogue!

lol How very dare he eek!

Popski

at my buddies studio, the control room has a giant wall of synths/keys.. Pianets, moogs, string synths, etc..

one of his clients runs in and says "HOLY SHIT, NO WAAAAAAY"

then runs over to the $10 pink piano toy in the corner and plunk plunk plunks on that for 20 minutes.

robotfunk

Not a musical gig for me but I was VJing a few years ago on 5 days off festival, had adapted my VJ software for 3D and was using some autostereoscopic screens (the kind you don't need glasses for to see 3D).

I saw a girl friend of mine and walked over to ask how she was doing. She replied "I'm not so sure, I think someone may have spiked my drink. I was just looking at the screens and the visuals seemed to leap out of them."

Later had a fun conversation with 2 many DJs' tour manager who asked me to turn off all the visuals. I politely declined saying I was being paid good money to do my trick. He replied he would take responsibility. I told him he was in no position to do that since he was not the one paying my bill. To which he said "OK, can you then just make everything pink instead?"

I found that so funny that I complied to that one..

Christopher Winkels

I always chuckle when people try to play something polyphonically on any mono synth and then complain that my gear is "broken".

Oldstench

You guys are lucky. My friends come over and flat-out refuse to even touch my gear. It's almost like they think it runs on nuclear power or something and they'll grow another arm. I twist the fuck out of the knobs to show them it's all good, but no dice. I just want someone else to play with my stuff. waah

Johnisfaster

electronicpresskit wrote:

Nothing against the kaoss pad, but running $25,000 of analogs through a $400 processor doesn't make much sense. hihi hihi

It makes about as much sense as running a $5 casio through a $5000 modular, which I and others have done. If it's the sound you're after then it makes sense.

dan_p

Oldstench wrote:
I twist the fuck out of the knobs to show them it's all good, but no dice. I just want someone else to play with my stuff. waah

Have you looked in a mirror when you twist the knobs? maybe you get a real bad race face on when you play and they think the modular is hurting you?

Oldstench

dan_p wrote:

Have you looked in a mirror when you twist the knobs? maybe you get a real bad race face on when you play and they think the modular is hurting you?

I look like this whilst twiddling:

Maybe that's the problem?

dan_p

You got a Transylvanian Modular!!!

No wonder

Mr. Green

Hi5

Going to noise shows one can hear a lot of ignorant talk about gear but one of my favorites was when someone wanted to get a "drone sequencer".

Makes me think I should start making some "drone sequencers" since there is obviously demand for them.

polyroy

Bit of back story to mine.

When I started uni and was in halls of residence, a couple of guys that hung out at the girls flat next to mine knocked on the door and said 'hey man, check it out' and pointed down. He then proceeded to rub his small penis on the door handle to our flat and run off. I had two options, knock him out or tell security. Being that it was within the first month or so and I didn't really want any major trouble with anyone, I opted for the latter and he got a bollocking (no pun intended). One of the security guys was also a technician for the music tech department who I ended up getting on really well with due to him being a massive techno head and just a generally sound guy, but this strange circumstance was the first time i'd met him.

Anyway, fast forward two years and i'm playing at an experimental electronica festival one of my lecturers put on in the club based at uni. My MIDI controller kinda had a freak out and stopped the audio completely. As this brief moment of silence happened I heard 'and then he got his dick out and rubbed it on the door' fairly loudly. Turned out that technician was telling his brother about how he'd first met me, I didn't hear exactly what he'd said, I thought someone had just shouted 'Dick' at me because of the audio dropout so he explained it all afterwards as apparently I shot the audience an angry glare! Pretty funny looking back on it lol

Johnisfaster

When I was about 15 I was playing bass in a bad punk band. My dad said "You know what you guys need, something to set you apart. I think you should have a keyboardist" I said "Ehhh.. Keyboards are lame." (hides)

I used to play in a hardcore band playing keys. More than a few people said "John plays the moog", I played a Roland Jx-305... I got tired of correcting people so I just let them say it.

computer controlled

I've had more than a few funny and ignorant comments, here are a few:

After playing a live set: "Hey man, nice DJ set"
While playing a live set: "Hey DJ, can you play some dubstep?" and "Can you play some Lenard Skynard?"

But this is the best comment i've ever gotten...
after playing a live set: "That was better than any sex i've ever had!"

applause

infradead

i was at a chiptune event speaking w/ two other guys about gears and mods.

i'd just gotten my pokey.synth and brought my modular to show the pokey.synth and an a atari.

someone looked at my pittsburgh modular timetable and told me
"oh cool its got microkorg knobs"

hihi hihi

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7