MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Live Affordable External Mixer for Modular?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Live Affordable External Mixer for Modular?

stromcat

Hola crew!

I'm wondering about a small format decent sounding standalone mixer for modular live mixing use (I just don't think I'm gonna have room for a modular mixer which can so all this) which:

• Sounds Decent. Esp when driven, and can bear direct modular level.
• Has at least one Stereo Effect Send/return.
• At least one Mic input.
• At least 4 inputs.
• Has mute buttons.

I assume there's many various Mackie/Spirits which can cope, but figure it's worth asking the folks who know!

Cheers

pixelmechanic

Mackie 802 or 1202

valis

I've now owned three Mackie 1202vlz mixers (all died to some varying degree), a cr1402 which I used in my studio, and a cr1202 for live use. If you can get past not having mute buttons I'd recommend going with the Mackie pre-vlz gear, like a cr1202. In my experiences the cr series lasts longer and sounds better, especially when being overdriven, than the vlz. Others might disagree with me. The 1202vlz does have much better audio routing options than the cr1202 though.

sundog

I've got the 802 which has been fine apart from the fact the main mix knob/pot went crackly after a few months home use waah ..... so keep the receipt.

There's also a new cheaper Mackie range (eg Mix8) - but no mute buttons

stromcat

valis wrote:
In my experiences the cr series lasts longer and sounds better, especially when being overdriven, than the vlz.

Thanks guys. Well. If the CR Series is good enough for Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo, it's good enough for me.

flo

Make sure the CR is in decent condition. They can be pretty rocked down by now and sound a bit trashy IME. For VLZ make sure it's at least VLZ3.

For other new offerings the Yamaha MG, A&H ZED and Soundcraft EPM / EFX series also look nice for the money. All of them have one flaw or another for what I precisely would need them personally right now, mostly to do with send/returns... very frustrating

stromcat

Does anyone have any experience with the small format Allen & Heath mixers?

This looks pretty ace:
http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed-10/

flo

Yeah, those are what I'm talking about. IME they're fine for live, got that one from venues a couple of times. I just hate them for not implementing returns properly, I'd happily trade the USB crap for two proper returns... Or at least one on the FX model for christ's sake

d'oh!

stromcat

flo wrote:
I just hate them for not implementing returns properly

How do you mean? What doesn't it do properly?

insula

stromcat wrote:
flo wrote:

they don't add aux return, msut be used a ch mixer, not bad if you have enough mixer.

In my current set up i'm using a mackie 1202 vlz, greate mixer in this price range.. but is too too heavy. now i'm using a behringer xenux 802, poor quality but lighert, not always i move my stuff for do a gig, also i like to play with friends.

Guinness ftw!

carlosnyb

I have a 1202vlz3 and like it.

Recently I was looking at the Samson SM10 -- only takes 1 rack unit of space, nice and compact, it's on my list for dealing with Miami outputs. Two sends (monitor is pre-fader, aux is post-fader, the pre-fader monitor send does have send amount adjustment)

flo

insula wrote:
stromcat wrote:
flo wrote:

they don't add aux return, msut be used a ch mixer, not bad if you have enough mixer.

Exactly. It would be perfect for my "compact" live setup that needs six channels plus two sends. The sends are there but no returns, and no channels left... Total stupidity.

insula

flo wrote:
insula wrote:
stromcat wrote:
flo wrote:

Exactly. It would be perfect for my "compact" live setup that needs six channels plus two sends. The sends are there but no returns, and no channels left... Total stupidity.

well .... is not so bad, more jamaican style!! Guinness ftw!

flo

Not if you don't have enough channels... confused

studiokpg

I have a Zed10, and I'm pretty happy with it, although it stays home. There is an additional return that might not be obvious. It has a playback input that can be mixed in to the main out.
The only thing that I don't love about the mixer is that the monitor outs are unbalanced RCA. The main outs are balanced XLR, but the way I use it at home, the monitor out channel is most convenient for my monitors sad banana .

Orbless

Tapco Mix220 could be a good option as well. Being in the UK though, Allen and Heath may be a better solution

Navs

On Hainbach's recommendation I bought a Mackie 802VLZ4. I wanted something smaller and lighter than my Spirit Folio 10:2 for gigs.

Things I like: size, weight, mutes, one knob to control stereo channels/master.

It only has one aux but a second (100% wet) can be faked with ALT routing. I discussed this general failing with most small mixers with the bloke in the shop and he told me to forget it, that the future is digital/ iPad-linked. Bah.

The EQ is useless. Really, they should have left it out. The Spirit's EQs have never done much for me, but at least I can hear musical differences when sweeping the highs and parametric mids.

The Mackie has plenty of gain but I don't like its sound when overdriven. I tried to route some feedback via a Micromodular/ FX and wasn't happy with the result.

That said, it's fantastically portable, gives me more build confidence than a similarly-sized Behringer and Falafelbiels was happy it had XLR outs that he could tap at my Noodlebar gig.

carlosnyb

I never use my mixer as an effect or for eq, so those things don't bother me.

diasporos

stromcat wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with the small format Allen & Heath mixers?

This looks pretty ace:
http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed-10/

The ZED-10 is my live rig mixer for the modular. It sounds great and it's very compact for the quality. Clean sound, good eq. Built solid and 'feels' expensive. I don't use the onboard fx much though or the USB so I feel I'm wasting something. Only complain: signal is frequently too hot at the input. Even with zero gain. Same signal is ok on my home studio Mackie.

notmiserlouagain

If you want something really special look for an old Soundcraft BVE100.
They sound much better than any stinkin Mackie and you can access the fader vcas with external 0/+5v cv nanners
You might have to look a little harder maybe to find one. I use a B100 for recording (no vcas, even better sound), those are old broadcast stuff...
300-500 EU

For live I use an old TASCAM M106, which is also decent piece, a little noisy micpres but very good sounding with line levels, minimal but nice eq´s!!(these old TASCAMs get bashed a lot, but that one, the only one I know, is totally everything you want)! About 150 EU used.

clarke68

I know some people really hate Behringer, but I have one of these:

It's the smallest mixer I could find that has actual sliders for faders. It's the only mixer I've ever owned, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I'be been perfectly happy with it: doesn't seem noisy to me and handles modular signals just fine. No mute buttons tho. And I'd really like a 2nd effects send (but what small mixer has that?).

I really don't see what all the fuss is about with Behringer, but they do make a wide range of products so I assume they have a fair share of hits and misses.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1