MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioWiggler Radio   SearchSearch   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsBlog & News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 

patching live versus evolving patches 
 MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author patching live versus evolving patches
eolianmollisol
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: patching live versus evolving patches Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't navigated this subforum a whole lot so my apologies if this has been discussed thoroughly already, if so, please just redirect this thread to another.

I am at a point where I'd like to get out with my modular a play some low-key shows and get my feet wet. I know that perhaps maybe starting on stage with a bare modular and patching the first sounds up may be appealing, but I wonder what to do in-between radically different patches? My 2 cents right now are that it'd seem most practical if you started with just your basic foundation patch and figured out a way to evolve it into various avenues.

Then, my other thought is, that if you don't do this evolving patch, what do you do in the interim when you are setting up some new routes? Play some samples? Have others help fill in the void of silence while you patch up new stuff?

Any thoughts appreciated!

This is fun!

DonaldCrunk
pregnant with sound

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It has come up quite a bit in a variety of threads here, and there are many different approaches. If your modular is big enough, you can cue up another voice to switch to while you patch. Loopers and samplers are popular as well, and give you a bit of breathing room while still keeping it "hardware". A lot depends on what you're trying to do , whether it's a structured set or improv, and whether the music is rhythm oriented or not smile
maruwan
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: patching live versus evolving patches Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eolianmollisol wrote:
What do you do in the interim when you are setting up some new routes? Play some samples? Have others help fill in the void of silence while you patch up new stuff?

You could go for an ambient interlude: mute drums, endless delay/reverb on voice, patch new voice, drop drums/new voice.

But I like the idea of an evolving patch more. It's harder but there are some modules (switched multiples for instance) that should help with this.

my ghetto ass rack: current, planned
eolianmollisol
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shoot, sorry for the late reply...for some reason i didnt get the typical email saying someone responded, my bad.

Yeah, doing mostly rhythm stuff, ive built 9u dedicated to drums, but i do a lot of ambient stuff too. Mostly, i just wanna go out and have some fun making fat beats for people...

xclark
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

having not played a single show with my modular, I very likely have no clue what I'm talking about, but... I would say that if you want to 'make some fat beats for people,' you're looking to entertain them with the music, and not particularly the performance on the modular. in which case I think it would be beneficial to have the patch set up and ready to go when you begin. most people who are not modular people have no idea what's going on with the wires and stuff, and I figure they would likely prefer to be entertained with some otherworldly sounds, as opposed to watching a mad scientist at work.

but again, what do I know. seriously, i just don't get it

soundcloud
abelovesfun
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I play live with 3 rows of 5U, but I also have a lappy running ableton live (mostly as a automated mixer with fx, but some samples as well). I use push, so I can have the lappy off to the side and out of view. I patch from scratch, and just leave something going to transition from one song to the next. That can just be some left over white noise though a filter with delay, or a polyphonic the note patch, or a simple sequence. I usually play songs following in the circle of fifths, so it's easy to move from one sequence to another without melodic clashing.
eolianmollisol
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

@abelovesfun

do you have any live audio recorded?

abelovesfun
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eolianmollisol wrote:
@abelovesfun

do you have any live audio recorded?

Just one right now, I am brutal about deleting my own material. Here's one of my police scanner duets from last month: https://soundcloud.com/new-path-commune/police-scanner-duets-scene-1-0 12815-live

pre-sequenced strings, live synth bass, and some other goodies in there.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars

Page 1 of 1