Quad performance question

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, anthonybisset

radams
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Quad performance question

Post by radams » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:58 pm

Anybody out there performing with a quad ( or more ) sound system -
can you explain gear used etc --- thanks so much

anthonybisset
a point to make

Post by anthonybisset » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Edge of the galaxy territory.

Anybody out there?

rlainhart
R.I.P.

Post by rlainhart » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:17 pm

I perform in quad when the venue supports it, the most recent time being at the Bellingham Electronic Arts Festival in May.

My Buchla 200e is inherently a quad system, so I send the four outputs from the 227e (which provides independent quad panning for each of its four main inputs) directly to a Lexicon MX400XL surround (actually quad) digital reverb. The outputs of the Lexicon go to the first four inputs on a MOTU Traveler interface, which interfaces with Apple MainStage running on a MacBook Pro. This lets me control all the parameters of the Lexicon (via the Lexicon's AU control plugin) with a Korg Nano Kontrol - this way, I can take the reverb out completely or use just the front or rear channels, balance the wet/dry mix, and vary all the other parameters (RT-60, room size, pre-delay, and so on) while I'm performing. The first four outputs of the Traveler go directly to the house system, so I don't need an additional external mixer.

When I perform in stereo, which is most of the time, I just use MainStage to fold the quad outputs down to two channels.

Carci
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carci » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:47 am

Performing for 1 or 2 people audiences in quad with this system :

I just use the eurorack modular directly hooked to PA... So far it works fine since it's a small system. Then it's just VCAs, quad LFOs, quad waveshaper...

I'm considering getting a mackie 16-04 for mixing purposes.
I'm also thinking about using the Elektron Octatrack as a quad sampler (since it has 4 inputs and 4 outputs). I don't own one yet so I don't know if the workflow of the machine allows for an easy use with quad stuff.
TURTLE project : http://vimeo.com/23648701
http://www.facebook.com/TURTLEPROJECT

FS : Doepfer MCV24 - Eowave Ringobug - Cwejman PH4 and more eurocrack
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 30#3046530

radams
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by radams » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks for the tips guys - I hope to be exploring this kind of spacial territory sometime soon -
any others out there with tips for set ups I would appreciate the input !

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:41 pm

i've never done it, but always dreamed of a quint/pyramid system, in a pyramid shape (four corners and one above you in the middle of the ceiling), all controlled by a pair of Wiard JAGs with loads of crazy modulation. the JAG screams to be used for multi speaker installations. you can get 10 proportionally referenced moving outputs, it should be insane...

radams
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by radams » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:33 pm

Richard - the Lexicon and MOTU Traveller look like good pieces of gear for a Quad set up - thanks for the heads up

Carci - tell us more about the TURTLE - that looks and SOUNDS amazing !!

Babaluma - the Pyramid must happen !! Just got a JAG that's what got me thinking

A question for all - most PA's are set up for stereo at best - what's a reasonable way to put together a Quad PA ?

Soundoferror
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Soundoferror » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:02 pm

Bring 2 more powered speakers. Some small studio monitors near 100 watts can be fine in a small venue, plenty of power, made need to add a sub to get full lows though, but chances are that is already present.

I am using vca's to small mackie with alt outputs so 4 total, sent to powered speakers.

With laptop, using motu traveler sent direct to destination powered speakers. Just did a gig with 6 pairs and one subwoofer. 8 outputs make it handy to do up to octophonic. Fun. In ableton with max4live there are API patches for random or joystick type control. Send all audio to sends, not master, then route each send pair to the appropriate speakers, for cool panning and random sound location. Then route modular into the motu and can have up to 8 inputs also flying around the room. As you prefer.

Not ez getting an octophonic system...

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:49 pm

Soundoferror wrote: I am using vca's to small mackie with alt outputs so 4 total, sent to powered speakers.
i'm using the same setup. works fine ....
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

rlainhart
R.I.P.

Post by rlainhart » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:06 pm

The first configuration of my Buchla performance system was based on a Mackie, using the alt outputs for quad. I had to reduce the size of the rack for traveling, which is why I went with the MacBook/MainStage/Traveler configuration, but the Mackie system worked great. The image below is of that system - I used the MacBook for softsynths at the time, but it wasn't required.

felixer wrote:
Soundoferror wrote: I am using vca's to small mackie with alt outputs so 4 total, sent to powered speakers.
i'm using the same setup. works fine ....

Last edited by rlainhart on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

radams
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by radams » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Thanks everyone -looks like I've got some gear to aquire ! Snowballs in June !

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”