MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet Splitter/Mixer in Frac Rack Ears - Pix, some large
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Blacet Splitter/Mixer in Frac Rack Ears - Pix, some large
plord
Ok, So I figured out how to fit the Blacet single width Splitter and Mixer into a Frac Rack mounting ear today and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it turned out. Here's the blow by blow with pix. I ordered a bunch of plain blue frac rack ears from FPE for this express purpose but you can do this with the plain black Blacet ones also of course.

MAJOR CAVEAT: I chose to forego any attempt to salvage the sides and rear rails to make this work for me in the new cabinets. The PCBs for these modules fill the entire space between the rails, so you would have to make an enormous and precise cutout in the side panels for it to work. You'd lose the PSCONN no matter what on the one side. So if you're dependent on the PSCONN you will have to skip one side, and if you absolutely need the rear rails to mount your PS, this might not work for you either. Alternately, if you have mad dremel skillz and can leave the rail mounting screws intact but still cut away half the sides to make room for the PCB, go for it!

Ok, step one. This is the magical synchronicity part, if you remove the front panels from your Mixer and Splitter, you can use the panel mounting holes and the frac ear mounting holes for *perfect* alignment. Place your rack ears in front of you and consider the pairs of mounting holes; you want to use the RIGHT HAND SIDE ear-mount-holes on both sides, that is, use the outside set of holes on the right ear looking at it from the front, and use the inside pair of holes on the left ear. Like so, note the different amounts the panels protrude. Also, remember that the width of the components behind the panel is not the same as the panel width so you have more room to work than you might think.

Now, get a 4/40 bolt and nut long enough to secure things and bolt the Blacet panels to the ears. I went in from the front, YMMV. You're going to be punching or drilling or dremeling this metal all around so lock them together good. You may want to put a piece of paper or something in between the panels to protect them, but I didn't and things worked out fine.

Now grab your favorite hole making tools. I used the punch for the 1/4" holes:

then went with a drill for the Pot holes and PCB mount screwn hole. You'll need a way to make 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2" holes in the panel, however you do it. My son was kind enough to don noise-protection headphones and goggles and shop-vac metal shreds while I drilled smile

You're using the holes in the Blacet panel as your built-in drill guide. This can work amazingly well if you're not a complete idiot very frustrating

But for those times when you bung up the hole placement, there is always my new favorite mistake-eraser, the 10 blade rotary cutter:

Now mount it up and attach to the rails, you're done! Oh, labeling...I'm winging it. I'm going to put splitters in the ends of the clock row, and mixers in the middle of the audio rows, so I'm thinking that labels won't be necessary for such straightforward modules. Right? Any contrarians in the audience should feel free to apply their own solution.

So bingo, one module in each side and rails mounted:

And here is the view from the rear:

Using the Rack ear holes as a guide, the pots and PCBs work out PERFECTLY. This might work for any Blacet module but I have not confirmed any but these two; still, the Panasonic pots and the power connector are the tallest components and if they work here they may work across the whole Blacet range. But laterally, nothing extends into the space you need to mount the rails to a rack and nothing extends over into the next module space. It's AWESOME. I mounted up a few Metalbox modules to check the PCB tolerance, here's a shot of that:

And hmmm, now what, something's missing. Oh, right, we're going for the Full Blue here, time to sex these puppies up with the Davies 1900H clone and some adonized blue screws SlayerBadger!

Hope that is helpful or inspiring to somebody out there. I just wanted to get some small project done today before heading to the airport in 6 hours.

Mission accomplished SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
zerosum
Cool post w00t
DGTom
Shit yeah!!! SlayerBadger!

Awesome job.

Gotta get me one of those hole punch jobbies!

Did you get the Davies clones straight onto the Blacet pots or is there a trick to it?

I totally support the No Label movement, plan to only use icons at most on my DIY panels. love The full blue. Your cab is gonna be sex on a stick!
wetterberg
Clap Clap Clap beyond awesome. So much attention to detail!
eyehue
very inspiring, thanks!

time to finish my final frac ear, ad infinitum utilis multus mixus iv-ii.
e-grad
Great! Thanks for sharing.
revmutt
schweet!

Extra points for blue screws.
plord
DGTom wrote:
Gotta get me one of those hole punch jobbies!

That one,k I got from Aircraft Spruce. The "wide mouth" one I ordered from Harbor Freight never arrived confused

Quote:
Did you get the Davies clones straight onto the Blacet pots or is there a trick to it?

Ah, no, good point! The Davies are backwards, so you have to align the indicator line with the flat part of the Blacet pot shaft and screw them down into the rounded side. They are an ever-so teensy bit off-center because of this but not so much to annoy me.

Quote:
The full blue. Your cab is gonna be sex on a stick!

Well, I should walk this one back a hair; I'm not going to completely re-panel my Blacet and Encore modules, so there will be scattered black modules here and there. But very few of them smile
Cat-A-Tonic
Looks beautiful, especially in blue... with davies clones... and blue screws... love

Many thanks for the inspiration, and pics.

Having just recently bought a Proxxon (dremel) my first project was to mod the Blacet LFO with a range switch on the front panel (like Muff).
Thanks to all those who have posted information about modifications and customizations.
It is endlessly appreciated.

One note about using the rotary tool is to use a diamond file by hand for the last little bit of diameter
to get it nice and avoid making hasty mistakes while you're plugged into the wall.
DGTom
plord wrote:
Well, I should walk this one back a hair; I'm not going to completely re-panel my Blacet and Encore modules, so there will be scattered black modules here and there. But very few of them smile

oops hehe, I didn't think you were, sorry, typing too fast. I kind of assumed the Frac you were keeping would be nestled in amoungst all the custom / DIY <- that stuff you've mostly done in blue to keep in with the Wiard yeah? That Quad Seq. Switch is mighty handsome!

Am I right in thinking you are just using the Frac ears & rails, sans everything else? I have 3 sets left from my racks for my next case, wonder if I could jam an LFO in hmmm.....

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Thanks to all those who have posted information about modifications and customizations.
It is endlessly appreciated.

Just wanna 2nd that! Big time!! w00t Huge thanks to everyone here sharing their projects, so many great ideas!
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
wonder if I could jam an LFO in

CGS Psycho LFO, Yes! nodnod
Blacet Micro LFO, No. confused
The extra features of the Blacet make it well worth a single unit panel though.
DGTom
dang, you'd be right as well, love my 2 (not so micro)LFOs but I doubt they would claw-hammered in there, I want to add rate switches to them as well.

a Psyco in the ear tho... that would be great fun!
plord
DGTom wrote:
Am I right in thinking you are just using the Frac ears & rails, sans everything else? I have 3 sets left from my racks for my next case, wonder if I could jam an LFO in hmmm.....

Yes, ears and front rails only, I've got other plans for power distribution and PS mounting. I will probably have rail sets, spare ears with 6-way mults, and a PS500 or two for sale sometime in the future smile

I'm not positive on the LFO...do the jacks mount to both sides of the PCB or are some on flying wires? If you're not anal about jack placement you might be able to cram one in by moving one set of jacks over and staggering them with the ones that mount to the board. But if everything is board mounted you could be in trouble. If someone sorts it out let us know smile
Cat-A-Tonic
With the Blacet Micro LFO
The Tri, Square, and Sine jacks are flying wire style (not board mounted).
If you are doing things Plord style with just rails and ears (no rack sides)
than you *might* be able to squeeze the jacks tight like 'Flight of Harmony' in parallel rows and then put the range switch next to the Rate CV jack.
This also depends on what kinds of rails you are using.
My wooden rails would have to be shaved down to accomodate such modifications.
I don't think I'll be taking this route personally.

Imagine having 6 separate Psycho LFO's in rack ears...
Then use a Mixer Processor and a Dual VCA to combine them...
I reckon this setup would be even more flexible than a regular Super Psycho LFO!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1