MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

the blacet knobs ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author the blacet knobs ?
cavage
i guess the question migth have been asked before but i cant seem to find it and dunno really what to type in the search to find it ...

but, i ask mayself , why the blacet knobs are mounted that strange way ??
i dont really care ( exept with the eg ... dunno why i found it particulary annoying ) but i cant seem to understand why ?
Cat-A-Tonic
What's strange about it?

The fact that they are all packed tightly into a row for conservation of panel space and ease of assembly with board mounted pots?

Or do you mean that short envelope stages (higher frequencies) are counter-clockwise.

The BugBrand Attack Decay happens to be the opposite
(envelope stage knobs function like VCO frequency knobs...clockwise = higher frequency, shorter envelope event time).
Babaluma
i think he means the way they are mounted 90 degrees differently from every other piece of gear. e.g. 0% is at 4pm and 100% is at 2pm.

i find it really weird too, but i have got used to it now.
fluxmonkey
well, they're oriented normally, if you lie on yr left side while patching....

i used to think it had to do w/ the mounting of the pots, but it ain't necessarily so. the pots can be mounted any direction, it's the knobs that have to be aligned... and they make those softtouch d-shaft knobs in 4 different orientations, so it would have been possible to have the tickmarks in the more conventional 7oclock->5oclock setup. so i'm thinkin that was a conscious design choice. blacet is not conventional, which is a good thing in my book.

b
DGTom
fluxmonkey wrote:
blacet is not conventional, which is a good thing in my book.

I agree!

It really confused me to begin with, but I grew to love it. Not sure why, but I don't even think about it now, I'd say it helps that I have all my Blacet modules together & seperate from my 'normal' modules tho.
aetherpulse
I have never even noticed.
cavage
not conventional is cool
sure
just asked myself is there is some esoteric or not conception of the knob dynamics ha ha

still, i dont really care or notice it now except on the EG1 wich continue to disturb me ... probably because this particular module is often used in a classical kind of predefined setting of knobs ( ie to get percussive or not etc ... )

altrougth music dont care about that smile
wetterberg
why not just move them? The pots aren't d-shaft, are they? I think the re-an soft touch knobs are just push-on, simply pull the sucker off and put it back in oriented how you like it - the only thing that will be off is the legending, but who uses that anyway? hihi
Norman_Phay
The pots are D-shaft ones.
wetterberg
Norman_Phay wrote:
The pots are D-shaft ones.
and what about the knobs? d-shaft too? that sucks.
Norman_Phay
Sorry, the pots are d-shaft fitting too.
Norman_Phay
what a little ray of sunshine i am here, eh.

I'm sorry!
wetterberg
haha, always the good sport smile
fluxmonkey
blacet pots are d-shaft, but the knobs are available w/ the flat side oriented in 4 different directions (cryptically speced as North South East West). so you could replace the stock knobs with ones with a different orientation to move the pointer from 0=4oclock (blacet) to 0=7oclock (the rest of the world). not that i find it necessary, but you could.

check this catalog for all the details: http://werfo.sulzerchemtech.com/rean/download/product_catalog/en/rean_ productcatalogue.pdf

b
wetterberg
Does anyone know if the push-on Reans will fit D-shaft pots?

I seem to recall reading that they did, but would like that confirmed before buying too many of them help
Cat-A-Tonic
I just tried, and I think the answer is no.
fluxmonkey
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
I just tried, and I think the answer is no.

tried what? I just pulled a re-an knob (mfg # p670S-08-D6N, mouser #550-67001; grey pointer) from the bag it came from mouser in, and put it on on of my Blacet VCOs, it is an exact replacement (same orientation as blacet stock, as well). why do you think they don't fit?

b
Cat-A-Tonic
I tried a BugBrand rean style knob for a split shaft pot on the Blacet D-shaft pot and it did not want to fit for me.
seriously, i just don't get it
fluxmonkey
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
I tried a BugBrand rean style knob for a split shaft pot on the Blacet D-shaft pot and it did not want to fit for me.

yes, the knobs for split/spline shafts are different than the d-shaft. check the datasheet, all will be revealed.
wetterberg
fluxmonkey wrote:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

yes, the knobs for split/spline shafts are different than the d-shaft. check the datasheet, all will be revealed.
perhaps, but if there's a technical description of how much the rubber will give, and whether that will hold or not, I'm not likely to understand it wink
Pulse Emitter
i hate the blacet knobs. always figured he ordered the wrong ones way back when and stuck with it! i pulled them off long ago, at the moment i have some random old D-shaft knobs that have no indicators. no indicators is better than wonky indicators to me...
DGTom
"wonky indicators" hmmm.....

All my Blacets are very solid, no wonkiness in the knobs at all.

I dunno why its hard to grasp, 0 or 5 is @ 9 O'Clock. I think he did it because it makes the most critical part of the pots travel out in the open with Blacets 6 knobs on the horizontal plane, if they were in a more standard orientation the knobs would be half obscured alot of the time by the nieghbouring pots.
Pulse Emitter
by wonky i meant irregular in orientation. every knob on every electronic device i've ever owned has knobs that go from 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock. even though all the knobs on my synth are different in style, i like them to all point the same way when they're at zero, or maxed, or wherever, that's all.

but the knobs are by far not my only issues with blacet modules, and that's why i've sold most of them and only have 3 left. not a big fan.
suitandtieguy
use old Mackie mixer knobs (like the LM3204), and mount the modules upside down.

then you'll find the knob pointer going where you're expecting it to.
DGTom
Pulse Emitter wrote:
by wonky i meant irregular in orientation. every knob on every electronic device i've ever owned has knobs that go from 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock. even though all the knobs on my synth are different in style, i like them to all point the same way when they're at zero, or maxed, or wherever, that's all.

but the knobs are by far not my only issues with blacet modules, and that's why i've sold most of them and only have 3 left. not a big fan.

Oh, fair enough. What other issues to you have with Blacet modules?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2