MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

Video mixer self feedback
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Video mixer self feedback

revmutt

I remember a few times over the years reading about people running a set of outputs from their video mixer into an input channel and playing with the feedback.

While I would imagine there are some pieces of equipment that can handle this type of abuse I am going to assume that this is not a great idea for all video mixers.

Any comments?

johnnywoods

Afaik, there is no danger there. I can't imagine it somehow being "bad" for any of the circuits inside. I've been running my V4's outputs back into the input for close to 10 years now.
Of course, the results might not always be pleasant looking, but that's another story. It works best if you have some way to modify the signal in the loop (like a video synth or effects unit). It's really great if you can get some sort of geometric transformation in the loop as well.

daverj

I would think most equipment can handle it. There might be some poorly designed products out there somewhere that would have a chip overheat from doing it. But the chances are very slim.

On the other hand there might well be some that don't process the signal on the output well, and you could end up with signals that go well above and below sync. That won't hurt anything but might make a signal unrecordable.

I remember running into an old TV studio engineer in the early 70s that was so set in his ways he was convinced that pointing a camera at a monitor and creating feedback that way was going to destroy the camera. (though in those days it was possible to burn spots into a camera pickup tube by doing that with the lens wide open, so to some degree he may have been right)

revmutt

daverj wrote:

I remember running into an old TV studio engineer in the early 70s that was so set in his ways he was convinced that pointing a camera at a monitor and creating feedback that way was going to destroy the camera. (though in those days it was possible to burn spots into a camera pickup tube by doing that with the lens wide open, so to some degree he may have been right)

Off topic BUT I remember being banned from a rehearsal studio in 1982 because they were convinced our speed combined with our volume would destroy their equipment.

Our volume was normal for any guitar, bass and drums band and being a Hardcore Punk band I can assure you the frequency ranges at which we operated were mundane.

I fondly digress.

lizlarsen

I've been banned from clubs before too, but that usually involved not having my pants on at the time. Guinness ftw!

But yeah, what they said! Video feedback is gonna be different from audio feedback, especially in this case, where you have the video being sampled in and going out at the same voltages.

The Video Blending Matrix module is designed for some feedback patching in mind internally because it compresses the outputs to about +/-1V, so the voltage levels don't go crazy and you can get more responsive feedback like this in my experience. There are some cool shape feedback tricks you can do with the LZX modules.

revmutt

Did some experiments with my WJ AVE5 mixer. Really nice.
AND if anyone knows the proper replacement part for the small fader knob caps I will be even happier/

barto

one of my favorites is mixer feedback and a live camera feed/found footage with luma key

snufkin

I love using two mixers one with two channels feeding back and the other patched with footage from the first one and channel feeding-back on itself to get some more complex imagery

or putting other effects in the loop of the mixer is always interesting

james_keith

Cleaned up the studio space last weekend, and my Wednesday night jam resulted in some of the best feedback (combined internal and camera) I've created to date. Seems like cleaning up the space always refreshes the creative process.

I make use of two Panasonic wj mixers, one mx-50 one mx-30. other than that I was just using a cheap cc security cam and two old tv/vcr combos. Both of the tvs seem to have dead spots for camera based feedback. Anyone else ever experienced this? Is it a degaussing issue?

Feed back set up I had going was camera running to input one of mx-50 (creating a feedback loop with monitor of mx-50), input 2 running to output of mx-50. Then another mx-50 output ran into the mx-30 input one, input 2 to output. The primary monitor was an output from the mx-30 which combined 3 dynamic layers of feedback.

supashakes

I've been happily plugging my MX-50 into itself for years, love it!

therevstone

I've had video feedback running on a variety of switchers - both analog and digital - for hours at a time before, no adverse effect other than aesthetically.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1