MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Frac Filters
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Frac Filters
Cat-A-Tonic
So I was thinking about how awesome the MOTM 1485 GX VCF (in hi-pass) and 1490 Ladder VCF sound in series...
and I couldn't remember the last time we discussed Frac filters at length on here.
So I searched and found this awesome post from 2008 in General Modular:
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Hi Mike, and welcome!! Really glad you are here. Please don't worry about saying the wrong thing, breaking the rules etc. There really aren't any. I hope that people here treat each other with respect and kindness, and so far that's been no problem. While I haven't actually stated it somewhere, I don't want to see people abusing the copyrights or intellectual property of others here. I won't allow pirated software or music (or links to this stuff....) here, but really, that's all the rules. Do as you please and have fun!!

Oh so many filters, so little time smile I'll do my best with your list...

Blacet Final Filtre - this one is probably the quietest, most well-behaved of the bunch. Very clean and precise sounding. A very nice bonus that you get the onboard AD/LFO generator, which can be patched out to use with other stuff.

Blacet Filthy Filtre - really fun, awesome overdriven sound, morphable output, I use it a lot

Blacet Dual Manual Filter - you forgot this one! Great sound, in particular when the two filters are working together with the 'phase uncertainty' circuit. I like this filter a great deal and you can get some unique sounds out of it - but there's no CV control at all, which is a huge downside.. Nice and cheap though!

MOTM-1485 GX-1 Diode Filter - This and the PAiA are the only ones I haven't tried in your list. It's on my short list to buy soon. I anticipate a very aggressive, nasty filter. I hope so.

MOTM-1490 Moog Ladder VCF - I LOVE this filter. You may not have tried it, but you know it. It nails THAT sound perfectly, better than any other 'ladder filter' clone (software or hardware) I've heard. Really groovin'

Wiard Boogie Filter - this one is my #1 favorite. Did I mention that it's my #1 favorite? This one, the Wiard Boogie, it's my #1 favorite. And when I say "#1 Favorite", what I mean is that it is my favorite one, out of all of them, it's number one razz Seriously though, what can I say? The FATTEST most GROOVIN' sound I've ever heard from a filter. Smooth and fat and warm and just so so so nice. Deep basses, screaming treble. HUGE flexibility when you factor in the various switchable modes (using jumpers on the back), easily the most flexible filter. Sounds AMAZING when used as a LPG/VCA type of application. This one is worth it's weight in pure gold. If I could only have one, it would be this. I'm totally spoiled with filters, and I've had this one for a year. Still, every time I use it, I literally stop, smile, and think "shit, that is one DAMN awesome sounding filter. listen to that! wow." I don't do that with any of the other ones anymore, really.

Wiard Borg 2 Filter - Slightly more aggressive and dirty than the Boogie - think MS20. This one overdrives GORGEOUSLY. Additionally as LPG/VCA I like the sound/feel of the response even better than the Boogie. Hard to complain about anything here.

Paia 9730 VCF - The only other one I've not tried. Never tried anything PAiA to be honest. I've heard (of course this can be wrong) that they are thin sounding, fragile, don't track well, noisy etc. It's unfair to say so, but I sort of believe it.

Livewire FrequenSteiner VCF - Brilliant sound, this one has a very unique sound for sure, aggressive, the HPF mode is probably my favorite HPF of the whole bunch. Just really lively and interactive, a very fun filter.

Now, there's also a couple you are forgetting - Synthasonic just last month released their LPF. Additionally there's CGS and Elby kits for the Steiner Synthacon Filter, I have one of these and it's a TOTALLY unique sound, really really like it a lot. There's also the Metalbox/CGS Bi-N-Tic Filter, which I have heard RAVE reviews from many people I trust. This one is "Favorite filter" for a lot of people. Haven't tried it yet myself.

Bananalogue has the LPFA, which is an ARP2600 clone filter. You probably would find this somewhat superfluous.

Finally (and I'm sure there are others I'm missing) there's the STG Soundlabs Mankato and Post Lawsuit Filter. The Post Lawsuit is an other ARP clone, but the Mankato is something very very special and unique indeed. I am just finding the time to get into mine now, but I can say it has a lot on offer that is just simply not available in ANY other filter, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. I hope to have a nice review of it for my blog sometime soon when I get some time.

Again, welcome to the forum and please don't hesitate to let us know anything you need, want, would find useful, or would like to see here. There's no stupid questions and it's very hard to find a rule to break, unless you are a real ass. Have fun, that's why we are here. Thanks again for coming 8)

cheers

In addition, I would like to add that
BugBrand Dual LPGs are a must have,

and that
the BugBrand SV Filter is a great utility filter that comes alive with modulation.
The modulated stereo effects of band/notch out are cool on this one.
The high pass is clean and useful.
mamonu
thanks for the diggin'

the new generation of Frac-ers (snort! snigger hihi lol) like me
find all this concentrated info very useful
zerosum
The cyndustries Four Filters is also available in Frac:
http://www.cyndustries.com/modules_four_filters.cfm?type=72

I want some......
Babaluma
i've owned a few. my favourites are:

1) wiard boogie - extremely versatile with a mixer, and wonderful sound, really rips with audio rate FM to the freq input.

2) motm 1490 - the classic moog modular sound and a very organic experience with all the subtly related functions (input gain, output gain, cutoff, overdrive, resonance etc.)

3) wiard borg 2 - lovely squelch!

the ones i didn't like so much:

blacet filthy filter - very versatile but overall sound never excited me.

metalbox synthacon - very dirty sound, i prefer to be able to program in the dirt when i need it.
pulse_divider
Someone had a custom frac'ed MOTM 440 on Ebay last year, I wish I had grabbed it!
I think it's the best sounding filter available.
Bricks
+1 for Boogie as favorite Frac filter
Borg was absolutely outstanding as well but Boogie was closer to my sensibilities. I could see it going the other way for someone else.. and I guess the moral is that Wiard filters are really good!
rezzn8r
I would buy a Frac Boogie if I could find one.
I can vouch for the STG Mankato, Wiard Borg, and Livewire Frequensteiner. I love the sounds of all three, but I've never met a filter I didn't like oops
Also love my frac Plague Bearer we're not worthy
Norman_Phay
pulse_divider wrote:
Someone had a custom frac'ed MOTM 440 on Ebay last year, I wish I had grabbed it!
I think it's the best sounding filter available.

Here's the .fpd panel I designed for mine last year. It works & fits OK (if a little tight) Make one!
werock
Well, it's interesting to read opinions on Frac filters - all of the 'revered' filters listed here were out of production when I started my frac system, so my two filters are both DIY - a MMM JP filter and Thomas White Lo Pass Gate clone.

Both are dandy!

The big choice of filters is one of the things I like best about modular synths...something for everyones taste.
vmgas
what i've used as of yet

cgs - synthacon....i think this is my favorite filter i have

i've got a mankato and honestly while i initially loved it i found myself going back and forth with it now on how much i'm into it and currently i'm kind of wondering if i even still want it

i personally like the paia filter. a ton of patching options and the a/r is a great extra

i've got an arp clone on the way, curious to see how that works out
cerebrosis
Plague bearer. Many sweet spots with different sounds. Not your standard vcf.

I really want to try a mankato and a final filtre. help
vmgas
cerebrosis wrote:

i really wish the plague bearer didnt look so hideous
cerebrosis
vmgas wrote:
cerebrosis wrote:

i really wish the plague bearer didnt look so hideous

I know! it looks like a euro module... jk Mr. Green

I actually like the look of it and my choices joystick.
scozbor
i regret selling my final filtre. it sounded really good to me and the env was a major bonus in a small system.

most of my filters are diy rather the 'frac', but in frac format.

love the 440 of course (fits behind a 3u frac panel if mounted horizontally).
I also have an old somatic circuits ssm2044 design (pre jaguar) which is nice and rubbery. blacet dual filter never fails to amaze as a tone shaper. dual plague bearers= SlayerBadger! . And I can't speak highly enough of foniks ps3100 resonators.

next for me is the cgs synthacon. then I think it will have to be the mankato. then I want more MOTM filters, then... Dead Banana
vmgas
scozbor wrote:

next for me is the cgs synthacon. then I think it will have to be the mankato. then I want more MOTM filters, then... Dead Banana

synthacon is killer
so much fun, you can get pretty extreme with it if that's what you feel like going for
Sir Ruff
zerosum wrote:
The cyndustries Four Filters is also available in Frac:
http://www.cyndustries.com/modules_four_filters.cfm?type=72

I want some......

wow... loving the look of that. That's the kind of thing that makes me wish I wasn't leaving frac! cry
cerebrosis
Got a final filtre and it might be my favorite filter ever! So nice.

It's motherfucking bacon yo
rezzn8r
cerebrosis wrote:

what is it that you like most about it?
Babaluma
never tried the final filtre.

i'm down to just one now, the motm 1490, but i truly do love it!
pulse_divider
cerebrosis wrote:

Cool, glad you're liking it!
I still have one in my setup but it's the older "no-rev" model that requires a really hefty trigger... the one I traded you was the better of the two, the AD triggers much more easily. I'm going to ask John B if there's a resistor swap I can do to mine to make the AD more usable.
But yeah, great sounding filter with a ton of features.
cerebrosis
rezzn8r wrote:
cerebrosis wrote:

what is it that you like most about it?

The sound. It's the perfect compliment to waveshaping or rm/bm/am sounds, its a clean and deep sounding filter.Im finding i prefer odd pole filters. 1,3,5 pole always sound better than 2/4 to me. Also the notch is fantastic, the best ive heard maybe.

It's also nice having the on board event generator. Having the eg, eg amount, and vcf freq within a few inches is great and is fast to get the sound you want.
cerebrosis
pulse_divider wrote:
cerebrosis wrote:

Cool, glad you're liking it!
I still have one in my setup but it's the older "no-rev" model that requires a really hefty trigger... the one I traded you was the better of the two, the AD triggers much more easily. I'm going to ask John B if there's a resistor swap I can do to mine to make the AD more usable.
But yeah, great sounding filter with a ton of features.

love
solitaryzen
Babaluma wrote:
never tried the final filtre.

i'm down to just one now, the motm 1490, but i truly do love it!

Yeah, lovely sounding filter
Cat-A-Tonic
It's time this thread got a bump.

Now that SynthCube is offering the AM4023 LPF, and the Moogah SEM VCF...
How are they?

The MetalBox/CGS - dual Wasp filter looks a treat too.

I've still never tried a Blacet filter...

I'm already pretty well stocked for filters personally...
In Frac I've got:
BugBrand - dual LPG and SVF,
SynthTech - GX, and Ladder,
DIY SSM 2044 DarkSide LPF from Somatic Circuits,
2 Plague Bearers with my own hand-made panels (don't like the standard panels)
and a DIY Ian Fritz - Threeler.

The Threeler rules.
It's like 150% MS-20 (3 filters instead of 2), with truly chaotic oscillations at self-resonance, and a routing switch that classes it up to epic.
It's too bad this one isn't available ready-built.

Are there any other 15V DIY filters that you've built in Frac and would consider must haves?
Adam-V
I've built the CGS Dual Wasp and the CGS Serge 1973 VCF and consider them both to be great filters. The 1973 filter has vicious resonance (or at least mine does).

Here's a demo of the dual Wasp filter I did for somebody else; very basic, just twisting knobs to show their effect.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/adam-v/cgs49-cmos-filter-demo[/s]

Cheers,
Adam-V
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2