MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Gus Gus and modular synthesizers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Gus Gus and modular synthesizers
Irgendwaslanges
That's what I call a nice performance/use of Modular Synths wink

Just been to their concert in Cologne goin again now in Vienna grin

How do you Guys like them?? I was shocked that there where no post coming up in the search for Gus Gus ...
nrdvrgr
There has been posts about this before - the seach function is just not up to speed yet.... still a very nice display of live tweaking!
Johnisfaster
Are all the sounds coming from the modular? Cause what it seems like is a drum track and strings (coming from somewhere) and the huge modular is covering a single oscillator pattern and a little filter tweaking. seriously, i just don't get it
Irgendwaslanges
Yeah that's the question how much is actually live?
Saw them live last week in Cologne but couldn't see their rig and was guessing maybe they use some samplers ? But after seeing this video back home I was positively suprised: "wow a concert played on modulars" but is it possible?? Probably not everyting....the singer had a (Boss) Space Echo on a stool and was tweaking it while singing.....
Johnisfaster
at 6 seconds, the 12u on the left appears to be unpatched. Maybe they patch that up for other songs?

I'm not trying to bash, they seem cool.
Irgendwaslanges
Yeah but how fast can you patch wink
Johnisfaster
I guess to be fair, if they don't need the modules in that 12u I can't expect them to buy a smaller case to pack around so they can leave those ones at home. Sweet ass cases they have by the way.
mono-poly
Don't really like them but this track by them is really good.

Reptil
thumbs up
more
here
and
here

This song I like very much, maybe because some good memories:
The production (vinyl) is really really good. In a good club this sounds phenomenal. (one of King Britt's better periods!)
mono-poly
That live preformance was pretty good!
Etan
How can one not love GusGus???

hpsounds
Cultural night 2007 in Reykjavík Iceland !

... they were using a Doepfer modular, an Akai MPC and others stuffs.

gusgus - Menningarnótt 2007 by hpsounds, on Flickr

gusgus - Menningarnótt 2007 by hpsounds, on Flickr

gusgus [Daníel Ágúst] - Menningarnótt 2007 by hpsounds, on Flickr

gusgus [Daníel Ágúst] - Menningarnótt 2007 by hpsounds, on Flickr

This concert was on of the best I've ever had in my life ! Lotsa Love

More pictures here.

This concert was 10 minutes from my place ! hihi

Hédi K.
Etan
Lotsa Love thanks for sharing!

Cant wait for the new album that is in the making...

Ive been listening to Hjaltalin a lot lately. Its a band formed by one of the vocalists from GusGus, their latest album is such a genious piece of work:

Abraxis
Gusgus is pretty much the whole reason I found Muffs. I got really into Arabian Horse and it somehow spawned this obsession with synthesis in general and modular synthesis in particular. Instead of just being an observer of music I suddenly had this desire to interact with it.

Anyway, they rented a house somewhere and have been working on new material since January.

This video got it's hooks in me:

Here is an appearance on a German radio station where Biggi talks a little about how they play live:

I keep going back to this song as well:

glmodular
Urður singing Over is awesome. Her voice is simply stunning! Would love a studio version of that.

Been using this as my ringtone for a number of years now. Best intro groove ever! nanners

Tony
Abraxis
[img]
glmodular wrote:
Urður singing Over is awesome. Her voice is simply stunning!

Yeah, her voice just crushes me. Can't get enough of it.

She did a solo project with Bigi too.

https://soundcloud.com/gung-horecordings/earth-why-you-wanna-gung-ho

Sorry I cant figure out how to embed a soundcloud sound.

I really think Gusgus is at it's best with Daniel and Urður on vocals. I know sometimes they tour without her and I'd be gutted.

Hopefully she will be on the new album a lot.

They have a bunch of interesting demos and stuff on their soundcloud page https://soundcloud.com/gusgus
Etan
new single from their upcoming album

mhtones
Etan wrote:
new single from their upcoming album

w00t Any release date noted anywhere?
Etan
unofficial release date is 26th of May on Kompakt.

Also there is new and interesting solo release coming from one of the singers in GusGus (Högni Egilsson, also from band Hjaltalin) as HE. It sounds very promising and quite experimental, he has done some very wonderful work with his band Hjaltalin and I'm sure this will be no exception:

bryantcheramie
old school
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-906AoxuqTg
Etan
bryantcheramie wrote:

Doepfer dieter is in the special thanks of that arabian horse album, just a little fyi.

As far I know Dieter made some special design for GusGus which resulted in A-134-2 dual crossfade module
http://www.doepfer.de/a1342.htm
Etan
Apparently Mexico is coming out in June.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=24347
Etan
Album preview is online, Mexico will be out on June 23 on Kompakt:

http://www.kompakt.fm/releases/mexico_2xlp_cd
Soundifferent
Great news! Guinness ftw!
milkshake
Johnisfaster wrote:
Are all the sounds coming from the modular? Cause what it seems like is a drum track and strings (coming from somewhere) and the huge modular is covering a single oscillator pattern and a little filter tweaking. seriously, i just don't get it

It's a couple of years late to reply....

Everything you hear is performed life with the modular.
The strings are coming from the A-113 with a lot of chorus and reverb.
All the other sounds are very simple, but good sounding, patches.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2